Author Topic: i do not mean to nitpic but....  (Read 549 times)

Offline Razz

• Zinc Member
i do not mean to nitpic but....
« on: April 06, 2000, 02:39:00 PM »
Forgive me if I am wrong, I do not know if this has been brought up before but it is regards to the 109.  After studying pictures of the 109 I have come to the conclusion that the cockpit view of the 109 in the game is not a Messerschmitt 109, but a Buchon 109.  The Buchon 109 was Spanish built and used after the War.  The reason for this belief is due to the front of the plane.  In the Buchon 109 there are 2 "Bubble" like surfaces that pretrude out whereas the Messerschmitt 109 was almost completely flat.  If I am wrong then by all means forgive me. Do I care?  Not really, i am just curious is all.  I salute aall of you and your fine work <S>

Razz

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2000, 03:19:00 PM »
Do you mean the bulges over the machine guns on the 109g6 and g14? they are correctly modeled in AH......

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Flanker

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2000, 06:20:00 PM »
Actually pongo I belive you are incorrect.  I have sat in the Buchon 109 and a Messerschmitt 109 and there is a large difference in viewing out the cockpit.  I do not care personally, but at an airshow in England I got to sit in each (It was awesome!)  Anyway, to put it simply, there are no "Gun bulges" in the Messerschmitt 109.  It is an almost flat front like mentioned above.  The Buchon hon the other hand did have these bulges that look identically like the ones in AH.  These were not for guns but for the mercedes engine that was used.  I dont care if the 109 "Bulges" are modeled incorrectly, just something I wanted to give my 2 cents on  

Flanker

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2000, 07:35:00 PM »
Which 109? The F is flat, as you mentioned. The G10 is fairly flat as well. However the G6 does have two rather huge lumps over the hood that were the covers of the 13mm MG and not part of any mercedes engine. I rather think HTC has been at this long enough not to make a mistake between a messer and a buchon 109.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2000, 07:39:00 PM »
Flanker, remember not all 109's have the bubbles, they only appear when the MG's are of the larger 13mm caliber, and therefor they don't appear in 109 E, F and G2's and in later models the (K4, maybe G10 too) the engine cover was changed, to give a better drag profile, and thus the bubbles disappeared.

Maybe this Buchon 109 was a development of the 109G6?
What version 109 did you try to sit in?
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2000, 07:54:00 PM »
The Buchon was a development of Bf109 in Spain only. It was done because the shortage of DB engines and parts for repairs. The engine used was a Rolls-Royce Merlin (I think it was a 61, but dont quote me as I am talking by memory), not a "mercedes" (?)

The bulges were caused by the row of Cylinders of the Merlin, shaped in upwards-V, while DB600 series had INVERTED Vee cyilinder configuration. SO to make room for them, the cowl was adapted with the HUGE bulges. If you have seen the film "the Battle of Britain" with Christopher Plummer, the Bf109 in that film are purchased spanish Buchons.

Other side-effect of the MErlin adaptation was that the 109 cockpit was very noisy.

109Gustav series had bulges on the cowling...big ones, but not by far the ones in Buchon. As someone said, G6,G14 featured these bulges due the adoption of Mg131 in place of MG17 machineguns...

Just some notes from a Spanish 109 nut  

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2000, 08:02:00 PM »
No Bulges:
 http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bf109f3.html

Bulges:
 http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bf109g6.html

Buchon:
 http://fastnet.it/utenti/caporelli/na1112-2.htm

The bulges on the Buchon run the length of the engine, not just over the gun breeches.  The late model 109s had 'blisters' over the cowl gun breeches.  I think AH has it right.

ra

[This message has been edited by ra (edited 04-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ra (edited 04-06-2000).]

Flanker

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2000, 09:05:00 PM »
I dont really care either way....I was just stating wwhat I thought I knew and trying to help out Razz.  Thanks for all your inqueries and I think you need an Attitude adjustment Sorrows.

Flanker

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2000, 06:50:00 PM »
And why is that Flanker? I stated simply that the plane was modelled correctly.
If you mean my second comment then I won't apologize for it. HTC have been working on WWII airplane sims for years and years and have one of the most extensive research libraries around.
  Any sort of half hearted research on your part would have made it clear to you that those bulges on the G6 are in no way shape or form like a Buchon 109. Especially if you sat in *both* at an airshow.

In reality Flanker if you dip into the threads from Vermillion, Kieren and F4uD that discuss possible problems with plane modelling or appearence you would see the level of arguement you should have when approaching HTC to discuss any erors in plane modelling or appearence.