Author Topic: Arenas  (Read 974 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Arenas
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »
Originally posted by Oleg
Removing early and mid war planes from LW arenas has no sense. If someone like to fight hurr1 vs La7 why not?

I did this in the old MA regularly.   My fav's were the La7's that barreled in as I was rtb.   They thought "easy kill", they found themselves in the tower 9 times out of 10.  

I rarely fly a LW plane in the LWA's.   It isn't a challenge.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Arenas
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 11:15:54 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I rarely fly a LW plane in the LWA's.   It isn't a challenge.

It is for me, but that's because I stink. Repeatedly getting my bellybutton handed to me because I'm flying a disadvantaged plane in addition to the fact that I stink isn't fun to me.  I don't have time to spend 4 hours per day on the game to get to that 'nirvana' ACM/SA state, and even if I did, I doubt I would.

I guess you would call me a 'casual gamer' with a specific interest.  I would guess that HTC is trying a little harder to gain this type of player without diluting the game's challenge/historic/immersion aspect too much.  I don't envy them this task at all.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Re: Even more changes
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 03:21:52 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
When the arenas were first split, EW was the big hit.... ya know why? Because most didn't realise that the way to log in had changed ! You now had to select WHICH arena to play in, and those that did know, went to EW because thats were the fights were. Once they figured out how to go to other arenas, the numbers pushed over to LW, again mostly because thats where everyone was.

All people are really looking for are fights, weather its on the ground, in furballs, or buffs, it doesn't really matter what they fly as long as there are others around to fly with or against.

I stand by my observation and I think you are totally off base the actual numbers of people that want to fly in the EW and MW are doing just that.  I don't by your example of they didn't know how to long in so they ended up in the EW arean.  Besides that just confirms my observation that now that they know how to log in to the arena of there choice, they do just that and most people it appears prefer to sign in to one of the LW arenas.

HT or other players trying to change the game to force people to play in any arena other then the one they want to play in, will only succeed in driving more paying customers away.  My squad has lost 9 people over the last few months.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Arenas
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
I wanted to provide a little update here after yesterday's almost full day of flying (yes, another addict).

I logged on yesterday afternoon.  LW Blue was full and LW Orange had one of the maps I don't really like so I went to check out the EW arena.  No one there to speak of, nothing going on so I went on to the MW arena.

I found a little fight going on and upped a C.202, yet another plane I haven't flown.  I got killed due to lack of experience with that plane so I re-upped to defend a base with a Spit VIII.  Much better results.

I played for several hours in MW mostly alone defending bases from 2-3 Knights who were systematically taking bases from us.  They were using every tactic at their disposal; bombers, attack runs, vehicles, fighters.  I won some and I lost some but I was having a lot of fun fighting these guys and trying to see how effective I could be defending alone (mostly with a Spit VIII and an F6F-5).  When they finally took the second base from me I decided I'd go back and see if anything was going on in EW.

I flew a few EW missions in both an F4F-4 and a Spit V, was having a reasonably good time then suddenly landed a 5 kill flight in a Spit V.  That bolstered my confidence but it was time for dinner so I logged off.

After dinner I logged back into the EW arena.  There were only 15-20 players there but there was a pretty good fight going on in the middle of the map.  I spent most of the rest of the night fighting there in a Spit V and I haven't had so much fun since the early days of Air Warrior!  Most of my fights were 1 on 1 or me on two turning and burning at treetop height.  I defeated a pair of Typhs and a pair of A6M's in different fights.  Again, I won some, I lost some but what a blast!

Then a funny thing happened.  Some of the Bish were debating what to attack wanting to take a base rather than continue this series of dogfights in the middle of the map.  One of them said, and I quote; "If we just keep doing this all we're doing is playing aces high".  Hmm... I thought that was the point.  These guys decided to go take a base in vehicles and as soon as they did the enemy went to defend in vehicles and the entire fight dried up and went away.

At that point I logged out and went to LW Blue where eny was in effect and it happened to be the same map I was just in in the EW arena so I upped in my trusty Spit V.  I immediately landed several kills against better LW planes with my newfound Spit V skills :)

There has got to be some way to incent people to fly in these arenas.  If you all don't like my idea of splitting up the plane sets (which doesn't force anyone to do anything) then there has to be another way to maintain enough numbers to keep a fight going.

After yesterday, if you haven't tried these arenas I highly recommend you do.  Like I said, last night was the most fun I've had in probably 9 years.

EW and MW guys.  See you back there soon!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »
The biggest problem is the lack of everyone ability to TRY something new.

Or perhapes thier unwillingness to try something old...again?

What's that old saying? Oh yeah "Theres nothing new under the sun"

While i agree your observations have merit, i think it is just as likely that the majority of players have seen it all and decided that the LW (Old AH2) style is what they like.

WhAts the solution??? beats me :D  I'd like to see only one LW arena with a cap of 250-300 for now. Force people to fly in the other arenas. Will it loose HTC some customers? I doubt it.  

Well, I for one have been contemplating re-opening my subscription after talking to some fellow squad mates ( the few that are left after several canceled their subscriptions after the changes made it a hassel to hook up for squad nights) over the past two weeks .

But i can assure you that if HT was to use the "force tactic" you speak of, i would again pass on a subscription.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:18:43 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
Arenas
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
S! and roger that.  I dont want to be forced to fly anywhere.  It's my $15, let me chose.

Respectfully...
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Arenas
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 05:54:25 PM »
Here's another idea that's probably been mentioned before but how about an overall perk modifyer that awards higher levels of perks to the people in the arenas with the lowest numbers of players.  

This would be in addition to the arena modifiers already in use for side balancing within the arenas.

This could also be applied across all arenas to help balance LW Blue and Orange.

This would also help off-set the perk awards for re-sets which happen much more frequently in the LW arenas (except for the poor Knights who don't have an arena of their own to dominate).

Just continuing to try to come up with ideas to help these ailing but potentially fun arenas.

[EDIT]  And POST the modifier on the arena log-on screen so people know that they get something for logging into an arena with fewer people.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:59:44 PM by BaldEagl »

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Arenas
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 06:20:05 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Here's another idea that's probably been mentioned before but how about an overall perk modifyer that awards higher levels of perks to the people in the arenas with the lowest numbers of players....

So give those folks that are milking even more reason to milk?

:aok

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Arenas
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 06:31:14 PM »
Originally posted by zorstorer
So give those folks that are milking even more reason to milk?

:aok

If there were more people in those arenas they may not have an opportunity to milkrun.  At least they might be challenged when they try.

Do you have a better idea?

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Arenas
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007, 02:49:44 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
If there were more people in those arenas they may not have an opportunity to milkrun.  At least they might be challenged when they try.

Do you have a better idea?

Sure, but it involves just 1 arena ;)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Arenas
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 03:31:09 AM »
Originally posted by zorstorer
Sure, but it involves just 1 arena ;)

Hey, I'd go back to one big map main arena any day as long as it's not with the blue lines.  Same capture rules as now would be ok.  I guess I don't see it happening.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Arenas
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
S! and roger that.  I dont want to be forced to fly anywhere.  It's my $15, let me chose.

Respectfully...

That might be the problem there. Believing you are being "forced" to fly some place. To me this is a game. It doesn't matter "Where" I fly because where ever it may be I run into friends and hook up with them. By limiting yourselve to one arena, one team, one style of play your loosing out on a lot of fun, but hey its your $15. I myself like to get my moneies worth, so I try it all.  

Mugz, the game is evolving and MUST change to continue to grow. Weather you or I believe this is unimportant, it is believed by the owners of the game. As this is their livelyhood I can't fault them for wanting to do something to help it grow. You have to make the choice of weather you want to come along for the ride. When gas was $1.50 a gal. people complained and said if it goes over $2.00 a gal I'm not paying it ! Well I drive 200 miles a day and with gas at over $2.50 a gal the traffic hasn't let up at all. So you have a choice, pay for gas or walk, lament the "way the game use to be" or explore the way the game is going.

You also mentioned a "hassel to hook up for squad nights". Last night , while Rooks are not known for missions, "Lazer" (of all people:D ) ran 7 missions in a row were 3 guys from my squad a few of the "Head Hunters" along with 20-30 others from the arena. captured 8 bases.  Wasn't much of a hassle at all, turned out to be a lot of fun.

Its all still in the game, all the fun and stuff that people complain the HTC took away with there changes. Everyones just got to take off their "blinders" and go have some fun!

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Arenas
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
That might be the problem there. Believing you are being "forced" to fly some place. .

Well the definition is effected by each individuals desire isn't it?

$15 is the fee i pay to allow me the parts of the game i most enjoy. If i am blocked from those enjoyments after i pay my $15 and left with the options to fly in an arena other than the one i wanted to fly in, or log off. Then the relized definition is "Forced" to decide to Pay or Not.

Mugz, the game is evolving and MUST change to continue to grow. Weather you or I believe this is unimportant, it is believed by the owners of the game. As this is their livelyhood I can't fault them for wanting to do something to help it grow. You have to make the choice of weather you want to come along for the ride. When gas was $1.50 a gal. people complained and said if it goes over $2.00 a gal I'm not paying it ! Well I drive 200 miles a day and with gas at over $2.50 a gal the traffic hasn't let up at all. So you have a choice, pay for gas or walk, lament the "way the game use to be" or explore the way the game is going.

You also mentioned a "hassel to hook up for squad nights". Last night , while Rooks are not known for missions, "Lazer" (of all people:D ) ran 7 missions in a row were 3 guys from my squad a few of the "Head Hunters" along with 20-30 others from the arena. captured 8 bases.  Wasn't much of a hassle at all, turned out to be a lot of fun.

Its all still in the game, all the fun and stuff that people complain the HTC took away with there changes. Everyones just got to take off their "blinders" and go have some fun!

With all due respect fugitive.

The days of a single squad of 20 or even 15 hooking up together in one place at the same time in one arena is most certainly much more difficult than before.

Can you dissagree with that?

Does't it seem to be a little decieving to have a squad count limit at 32 players.

In your scenario..you explain that it was You and 2 guys from your squad and a hodge podge of other countrymen that were in mass.

I think this is exactly what HT is trying to acomplish and i dont think it is a BAD thing to get different folks mixing and mingling.

But to continue to say that squads of 20 or 30 players can continue as they always did before the changes is rediculas.

Im glad you are making it work for you.

I too have made my decisions based on what i like or don't like.

When your squad falls apart around you due largely in part to the games evolution...the fun kinda fades a bit. (you af all ppl know what the Mafia means to me)

I stated in my post that i was planning to return.

But i assure you, if HTC decided to bring the Arena Caps the way they were in the first 4 weeks of the arena split, I again would drop my subscription like a bad habbit.

I know, i read about this mission in another thread.

Landgrabbers  

:lol
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:06:33 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 01:01:20 PM »
No I don't think so. The numbers in those arenas are due to the lack of fights as BaldEagl stated in the original post. The biggest problem is the lack of everyone ability to TRY something new.

When the arenas were first split, EW was the big hit.... ya know why? Because most didn't realise that the way to log in had changed ! You now had to select WHICH arena to play in, and those that did know, went to EW because thats were the fights were. Once they figured out how to go to other arenas, the numbers pushed over to LW, again mostly because thats where everyone was.

All people are really looking for are fights, weather its on the ground, in furballs, or buffs, it doesn't really matter what they fly as long as there are others around to fly with or against.

I read a thread where someone was complaining about the ratio of LA7's flying and was trying to bolster his aurgument by saying that in the war there weren't that many LA7's in the air at once. First off, this is a game, not WWII. Second if you are tired of LA7's and Spit 16's go to the MW arena, they don't have them there! But again. nobodies there and there are not many fights so you slug it out in LW.

WhAts the solution??? beats me :D  I'd like to see only one LW arena with a cap of 250-300 for now. Force people to fly in the other arenas. Will it loose HTC some customers? I doubt it. This is the best on-line flight sim around. I'd rather be forced to have to fly in EW with a P40 then fly FA or any other sim, I'm not leaving. Once the the numbers climb to 800 on at prime time, then open another LW arena.

This games a blast no matter which arena your in as long as there are others there with ya.

FORCE people to fly in other arenas???????:O
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP