Author Topic: Side Balancing......huh?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
I'm not thrilled about the new system at all & had considered canceling my subscription. My wife talked me out of it (imagine that)

This is how it feels to/effects me:

I log in this morning; I see 168 people in the LW main & only 120 allowed so I know it'll be a while before I can get in there. I check out the LW orange? secondary arena & there are 19 people in there & even less in the rest of the arenas. Now, how can I find any GV action this morning with those numbers?

Oh it'll get better, more people will sign in, why GV anyway just fly you ground pounder etc etc. Well, I want to play what I want to play, when I want to play it. Yes I am guilty of living in an "on demand" world & it's sad, but when I pay my light bill I expect the lights to come on, when I pay my phone bill or my satellite bill I expect the same thing.

This is getting old fast. I have had trouble getting into an arena with enough numbers to actually enjoy it. I had a break from AH for a couple months while I sorted some P/C issues & hardware got replaced & I thought when I cam back I would have a renewed love of the game but instead I find it more tedious than it was before. At least you could log in & find whatever type of fight you were looking for before even if it was a PT vs. PT boat duel you could find it if you looked lol

I watched these changes take place, logging in every week or two to keep my version updated & to stay on top of things but now that I'm playing with these changes I find they suck. Just my opinion.

I'll end with a question; can anyone explain why the maximum number allowed goes up & down like that by several hundred players? I don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish at all.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2007, 01:34:34 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
l end with a question; can anyone explain why the maximum number allowed goes up & down like that by several hundred players? I don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish at all.

I think the varying caps were intended to distribute the number of players evenly between the two LW arenas. LW Blue gets full & locked until Orange has reached a certain threshold.
Unfortunately, it does not work. At non prime time, we do often have the problem you described: Orange 19, Blue 140/120.

Even more annoying to me is that I am often not able to reenter an arena when I get booted. For example, me and a few buddies fighting desperatly to save a field. As the battle is reaching its climax,  I loose TIR tracking or my connection just gets crappy. No problem, quick restart of game and - FUN is over. Arena cap prevents me from reentering that fight. Even if another arena had any numbers higher than 30 (rarely the case when I am flying) itīs no fun that way...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
OK, but what is the point in the fluctuating cap on the numbers allowed in the arena is my big question. It's a 120 max this morning but it was over 300-400 last night. Why isn't it set at a max number & left there?

Edit: thanks for trying to explain, I'm a little lost on what this is all supposed to accomplish.

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
I think the varying caps were intended to distribute the number of players evenly between the two LW arenas. LW Blue gets full & locked until Orange has reached a certain threshold.
Unfortunately, it does not work. At non prime time, we do often have the problem you described: Orange 19, Blue 140/120.

Even more annoying to me is that I am often not able to reenter an arena when I get booted. For example, me and a few buddies fighting desperatly to save a field. As the battle is reaching its climax,  I loose TIR tracking or my connection just gets crappy. No problem, quick restart of game and - FUN is over. Arena cap prevents me from reentering that fight. Even if another arena had any numbers higher than 30 (rarely the case when I am flying) itīs no fun that way...

I have been getting booted a lot lately, only to find out when I try to get back in that the arena has maxed out or gone over max and I can't get back in. Since this only happens when the arena max's out I'm beginning to think I'm being booted to make way for somebody else! Really getting annoying especially when relog and I see 228/220. What the heck? eight players managed to get in over the limit while I get booted???
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »
Originally posted by 68Ripper
Really getting annoying especially when relog and I see 228/220. What the heck? eight players managed to get in over the limit while I get booted???

No. The limit just went down from maybe 270 to 220.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »
Lusche: You are taking the absolute worst posible moment in the system.

At 12:00 Central the system changes setting.

TimeStamp   Late1   PlayerCount
1/3/2007 11:08:45 AM   24   164
1/3/2007 11:38:45 AM   23   174
1/3/2007 12:08:45 PM   29   172
1/3/2007 12:38:45 PM   86   119
1/3/2007 1:08:45 PM   88   120

As you can see within 30 mins there a plenty of people in the alternate arena.
So you are basicly complaining about a 30 min window.

The point is really simple to understand. No matter where you set the arena caps. Some one has to be first into the arena. You are just trying to make it someone besides you.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
Mugzeee: Get over it, we are not going back to one arena.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »
Originally posted by hitech

The point is really simple to understand. No matter where you set the arena caps. Some one has to be first into the arena. You are just trying to make it someone besides you.

No really -
My personal main point of whining is not to be the first one (I donīt like it, though) but the inabiltity to get back to friends and that specific battle I was commited to. Which is a huge motivator for some people...

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »
I guess I need to break out the bribe because I still don't understand why the number goes up & down. If the arena can handle 400 people why not leave the cap at 400 instead of going up & down? What is the point in the fluctuations in the max number of players allowed into the arena?

*My bribe will be forthcoming when I can afford it (read, when I make more money than you)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »
Setting the cap at 400 would just cause 1 arena to fill up. And then the 2nd arena to not be populated very quickly. This would make it even harder to play with your friends during prime time.

The hole point of the current system is to minimize having full arenas,i.e. you can fly in either one, and secondly minimizing the time to get an arena populated to critical mass.

HiTech

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
why not roll EW and MW into 1, they are under-used, and 85% of the population enjoys LW. why not have 3 arenas, easier to balance than 4, and gives EW/MW players more to shoot at,?

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »
OK, thanks. So we basically just have to suck it up when it's off peak hours & one arena is full & the rest only have a few people in them, or wait for an opening in the arena that is the most populated. :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
why not roll EW and MW into 1, they are under-used, and 85% of the population enjoys LW. why not have 3 arenas, easier to balance than 4, and gives EW/MW players more to shoot at,?

First, I donīt think it would be a huge benefit to the LW arenas balance if EW & MW would be combined.

Second, many of the players in EW do like the abiltity to do more evenly matched fights in EW planes. Adding the MW planes like unperked Spit 9, Spit 8, La5 etc. will more or eliminate this option. A combined EW & LW arena will be just a MW one.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2007, 04:49:04 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Mugzeee: Get over it, we are not going back to one arena.

HiTech

I am over it ...I no longer subscribe and havent for 2 or 3 months (Cant remember).

I will continue to follow developments untill i feel the game once again offers what i enjoy.

I will also continue to express my opinion the same as anyone else.

Unless of course there is some new rule that applies to me only.

In that case I would no longer follow the games development via the BBS or by calling my friends for updates. And likely never return to a subscribing status.

Last night I just downloaded the latest version of your game with intent of returning in a few weeks.

This was a 12 hr. D/L on the dialup i use at my brothers in the sticks in PA.

It’s kinda disheartening for the COE to tell me "Get over it" after such a loooong D/L.  :lol

The way i see it, your the one scrambling for almost 3 months to make this idea fly. (Longest transistion i have ever seen in AH) Change this, change that, adjust that, You are posting in the BBS more than ever in AH history.

For every one that say's its good there is someone saying it isn't.

It doesnt look as if this is ever going to go away so long as you take a hard stand the way you have with this idea.

So here’s an idea...you get over it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:27:00 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Side Balancing......huh?
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2007, 05:02:01 PM »
:O

:rofl
Vote R.E. Lee '24