Author Topic: Weapons Buffs/Historians ... Japanese Rifle  (Read 529 times)

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Weapons Buffs/Historians ... Japanese Rifle
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
I have recently come into possession of a WWII Japanese Rifle.  Until recently it belonged to a friend's Grandfather.  It is my understanding that he was on Guadalcanal and took the rifle during combat and managed to get it back to the states.  That having been said, I am looking for an idea of what it is worth.

I have managed to do a bit of research and found that rifle is in fairly good shape.  It is an Arisaka Type-99 from the Nagoya Arsenal.  It is a Series 3 Rifle and the serial number is in the low 24000s.  It still has all of the original markings and the Imperial Chrisanthemum (sp?) is still intact.  I have read that many of the captured rifles turned over after the war had the chrisanthemum oblitereated to "save face" for the Emporer.  It is my understanding, that only a few combat capture rifles still bear the Imperial Insignia.

So, having this in mind, can anyone verify if the information I have is correct?  And, two, where can I look to have the rifle appraised and/or sold?  I am not in the "collectible" loop and am looking for some advice.

Thanks,

NCLawMan (Jeff)
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline traps

• Nickel Member

Offline Apeking

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:20:59 PM »
You've been reading this, I'll wager. This place has a Type 99 series 1 serial number 28986, no chrysanthemum, "above average", for $325, and other Type 99s for slightly less and slightly more.

This is the search return result from Gunsamerica for the word "Chrysanthemum". It seems that Arisaka rifles with this feature are selling from $350 up to about $700, in the latter case from a company called Collectible Firearms which tends to price things on the high side.

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
Thank you both for your replys.  Coincidentally, my rifle appears to be in much better condition than most of the ones in the auctions.  I am looking forward to digging a little deeper into this.

Thanks again

Jeff
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:21:11 PM »
That rifle was featured on History channel.
"History of the gun" If im not mistaking.

If it still has a Chrisanthemum its early war before the mass production where they left that dynasty's symbol out.

Good luck
a definite score

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:40:03 AM »
Very cool rifle.  Most are 7.7 and ammo is available, but not cheap.  I reload 7.7 for a friend of my who has a sporterized version of one of those.

Not a bad shooter if it isn't worth a mint.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline volvo744

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:22 PM »
Always nice to know the moments in life that make you go "DOH!"
I had one of those rifles inhertitance while in high school. Traded it many years later, plus a .303 British WWII model (not enfield, less stock under the barrel) for a used compound bow, and now I see this thread. Imagine the .303 will be worth something too, then. Figures. :mad:

Also turned two full, uncut, sheets of Philladelphia Flyers entire team, 74 or 75, and Philadelphia Phillies, same era, trading cards into bicycle spoke slappers.

I guess it is a good thing I didn't go into the stock market......

1bob

Offline zarkov

• Copper Member
      • http://N/A
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »
Originally posted by volvo744
Always nice to know the moments in life that make you go "DOH!"
I had one of those rifles inhertitance while in high school. Traded it many years later, plus a .303 British WWII model (not enfield, less stock under the barrel) for a used compound bow, and now I see this thread.

Holy Toledo, volvo.

A person could make a fortune by fading your decisions!

;)

Offline volvo744

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »
Originally posted by zarkov
Holy Toledo, volvo.

A person could make a fortune by fading your decisions!

;)

:rofl

Sadly, I agree. :cry

Love the name/quote, too. Flash Gordon was a great movie, with a kickass soundtrack.

1bob

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
Had a 7.7 mm Arisaka rifle, WWII vintage, Japanese, with matching bayonette...talking about that model?

ROX