Author Topic: hypothetical  (Read 989 times)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Go to a swapp meet and see if you can pick up a cheap Sig. Gen.  Use the RF output and run that into any after market amplifier.  Then run that output to some speakers.  Anyone that will produce 10K Hz should do.  

That should be directional enough within the range of human hearing.....if human is infact your target.  I saw the disc.ch epp on future weapons and that flat pannel array was pretty darn cool.

so its the hz that determines the size of the wave?
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
hypothetical
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
[IMG]
see.  not diabolical at all.

-

(btw. does anyone know how to say "get out" in spanish?)

:D

This is Imigration, Open the door.  :O

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
[B(btw. does anyone know how to say "get out" in spanish?)

:D [/B]

Vamonos muchachos. La migra es aqui!!!

If they are wet, that will do it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
hypothetical
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
It is much easier to focus shorter wavelengths than longer ones... do they have dogs? ;)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »
yes they have dogs.  but again, and i cannot stress this enought, this is for "peaceful" artsy fartsy purposes.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
hypothetical
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 04:13:05 PM »
microphone with a 100ft wire plugged into a hidden battery powered guitar amp?
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
Originally posted by Speed55

nope.  sorry.  needs to be projected.  no cords, wires, pulleys or artifacts at receiving end.

:)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

storch

hypothetical
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »
capture the sound then pipe it back through one of those horns the swiss use to call their neighbors on the next peak over.  the thing literally looks like a 10 foot long funnel/megaphone.

storch

hypothetical
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »
get out is spanish is fuera (foo/eh/raw)

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
hypothetical
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 05:33:35 PM »
Originally posted by Speed55

if your trying to do the 'paybacks are a *****' with some hand hammered audio beam device to irritate a flock of thumpin mexicans, i strongly suggest a re-think period of not less than 6 hours, or after youve had some decent sleep.  If they happen to see, what sounds like it is going to be, some RPG luancher looking device pointed at their hut, they may re-act as if there were some RPG Launcher pointed in thier direction.  One thing about mexicans, they will work 20 hours a day for 10 bucks, but do not ever point a bazooka, or anything that looks like a bazooka in thier general direction.  I could go into the potato gun vs the mexicans story, but I would rather not.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
so its the hz that determines the size of the wave?

The hz is the length of the wave.  It also determines the tone.  This is where subwoofers come in.

The lowest tone (hz) a human can hear has a wave length of 17 feet.  If you're not outside of 17 feet from the source, you won't actually hear it.  So subwoofers were invented.  With these, they try to reproduce low frequency sounds by vibrating the air.  

The amplitude of the wave is from the amount of energy creating it.  The size is determined by how loud you make it.

But I don't really see a solution to your problem.  Sound is pressure waves.  Unless there's something confining it, it'll radiate in any direction it wants.  You can't really focus it, because once it leaves it's confinement, it tries to move towards lower pressure areas.

You've heard about the domes and sound.  This works because it redirects sound.  Same with reflective surfaces.  Both the dome and a pipe could work, but having a 100 foot pipe escapes your purpose, I believe.  As well as having an immovable dome.

Only other solution I see is electrical reproduction at the target.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
hypothetical
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 05:49:53 PM »
potato guns.. man those things are great.

longest hang time. 52 seconds using a lemon shot straight up into the air.

sorry to hijack
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:29 PM »
speed, no problem, i tend to appreciate good hijack sir.  

laser, that was what i was wondering.  (if it would immediately begin to stretch its wave size once it left the confines of any device which tries to condense it.

Question(s):

..are the waves then dissipated by atmosphere (in the same way as light is scattered unless focused very sharply) thus causing the waves to expand (as a ripple in water) or are they simply reforming into their most natural state.

would this mean that pitch would be a factor?

if so, would this mean that a bass sound would have a larger wave than a high pitched sound would have?

which travels better or farther, a deeper sound or a higher pitched sound?
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
hypothetical
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 07:48:02 PM »
I know they are dissipated both by expansion and friction.  

Past that, I don't really know the answers to your questions.  I have ideas, but I'm pretty sure I slept through those portions of my Architectural Acoustics class.

Don't confuse wave length and wave amplitude.  Wave length determines the tone.  The wave length has an actual length measurement.  Like I said before, low tone sounds get up around 20 feet long.  High tone sounds can be mere millimeters long, even shorter.

The wave amplitude is the energy of the sound wave.  This doesn't have an actual length measurement.  It's measured in energy, but most often referred to as intensity.  Decibels are a derivation of the intensity scale to best compare the different intensities to the human ear.  They are not a linear derivation.  For example, 50 decibels is not half the intensity of 100 decibels.  I believe roughly 80 decibels is half of 100 decibels, but I'm probably remembering that wrong.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

storch

hypothetical
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »
low pitched sounds travel much farther.  elephants low pitch calls, inaubile to the human ear can travel tens of miles, whale calls in the better sound carrying medium of the ocean, hundreds