Author Topic: My 'Hard Lock up' probs and resolutions  (Read 489 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
My 'Hard Lock up' probs and resolutions
« on: April 04, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
I upgraded over the last few days to the following:

New GeForce 2 Pro
New SBLIVE sound card
New PIII 800EB chip
New PC133 mem.

Updated BIOS to accept the new chip..then proceeded to load the other stuff.

I noticed hard lock ups in AH after installing (SBLIVE)  latest drivers from their website...after encountering these lock ups, I proceeded to uninstall everything related to SBLIVE, and re-installed it with the standard drivers the card came with (off CD rom that came with the card) and my problems cleared up.

I might add I had also loaded the Detonator 11.01 drivers at the same time as the SBLIVE latest drivers, so I deleted the new Det.11.01 drivers too, and went back to the 7.54 drivers that worked for me before the lock-up, since I had done both the SBLIVE drivers and Video drivers as the same time (bad idea) I didn't know which one was causing the lock-ups, but I suspect it was the latest drivers from SBLIVE's website.

just a FYI post.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
You know, I highly suspect the RW problems are to do with the SBLIVE and it's drivers as well.  They just don't like VIA chipset MOBO's in my experience.

I'm gonna ditch mine this spring and get me one of these badboys: http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/gtxpreview/default.asp

Ooooh yeah baby.  Just what I need, no more SBLive crap, a killer soundcard, external controls, and extra USB ports to boot.  Sweet.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Rgr, that Leph (Nice set up for your future,BTW)...I had a SB16 and never had a lock up in AH, until I installed the new sound card...

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Rip,
  I was going to add a topic to find out how many guys experinceing the CTD's are useing the 11.01 drivers.   I added the 11.01's yesterday at about noon and then Crashed to desktop 5 times in 2 hours!!!   I replaced with the older drivers and it took me two more hours to figure out how to get ride of the blue flashes again.  Now, everything is back to normal.  I'm not positive that the 11.01 drivers did it, but it sure looks that way.   Perfect example of " if it ain't broke, don't fix it "  

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2001, 04:22:00 PM »
I added updated to the 11.01 drivers for my Geforce2 and started getting numerous CTDs after the last patch (never before).  I checked and double checked everything in my system to no avail.  I finally lowered my bus speed a little (was overclocked to 133) and no more CTDs.  Just my experience.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm currently using a SB Live Value and Asus V7700 Deluxe 32 MB GF2 GTS card on my Athlon system on Asus A7V mb.  AH never locks up for me.

I'm using the SB Live drivers on the cd that came with it.  (Liveware 3 is supposed to be very buggy.)  On my Gf2 card I'm using Asus' drivers, since the card has all kinds of extra stuff that the Dets themselves wouldn't fully support.  The drivers are based on the Det 6.31s.

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
Again, more hard lock ups, 3 to 4 in an hours time.  What I did to solve the problem was the following that you may try if you are experiencing the same as I...

GO TO:
Control Panel
System
Select GRAPHICS tab
Adjust Advanced Graphics down one notch, to 75%.

Worked for me.