Author Topic: Which O.S. ?  (Read 738 times)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 10:26:53 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I feel your pain llama.  I really do.  I am taking a last few shots at the lottery in the hopes of retiiring before this monster wreaks havoc on the computer kingdom and the poor souls who have to support thier applications running on it (uh, that would be me for one).

Heh.

I've been telling people that Vista is a new "make-work" program for the entire IT industry. It's like Microsoft is the new Tenessee Valley Authority. :aok

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »
VISTA,  It's like Microsoft is the new Tenessee Valley Authority

LOL thats sig material there hehehe :lol

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »
Funny how everyone were panicking about y2k and now people are actually waiting for Vista.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »
MS did not spend a billion dollars on marketing Vista for nothing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
MS did not spend a billion dollars on marketing Vista for nothing.

Are you serious? Billion, Like with a B .... holy cow.

I have yet to see marketing of any kind for vista.  Where in the world did they apply that billion?  Maybe its not the mainstreem media type of advertising??  Or maybe its there and I just havnt noticed. Hmmm

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 11:10:37 AM »
Part of it has been spent on corporate tours pushing Vista on major corporations and OEM's as well.

The TV stuff starts running this month.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Are you sure it's only a bilion? ;) I'm so sick of the constant TV commercials and print ads for Vista directed at businesses, I could scream. They've been running TV commercials here for 3 months now. It's just such nonsense. There are no reasons given why a business needs Vista, only happy people running around giving the impression that Vista helps them sell more of whatever it is they're selling and making more money. It insults the intelligence of business people.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:28:02 PM by Rolex »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 06:15:44 AM »
That is what MS announced the advertising budget was for Vista.  I suspect they started the campaign in Europe and Asia first.  They probably figure that is where they are going to have the highest resistance.

Here in the U.S., businesses which have support contracts with MS have to upgrade in order to keep thier contracts valid.  OEM's have to start shipping Vista when MS tells them to as well.

The only markets MS cannot force Vista on, is outside the U.S. and those individuals who build thier own computer.  But even those who build will have to upgrade, eventually, as MS will stop shipping XP as soon as they do the full release of Vista.  So MS has the U.S. market by the balls with nothing to be concerned about.

Overseas is another story.  So they are probably spending most of the ad budget advertising overseas to drive people to Vista.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 06:34:19 AM »
Luckily for MS most companies have IT departments that are run by geeks. After that they only have to sell pretty pictures to the executives who see only the pretty marketing. If the exec doublechecks from the geek (who is an early adopter by nature) he'll get confirmation.

Geek gets a new toy, exec a warm fuzzy feeling and MS profit - while end users probably scream in agony with even higher system level restrictions and dependability of the geek department.

Heck I've wasted 3 hours time on a client waiting to reach someone who has authority to create a single share on a server. At $130 an hour that makes it a $390 network share :). Not to mention the cost of loss of 3 hours of personnell training that day.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »
Sorry guys, Im moving to vista next weekend.:D

I ordered today:

CORE 2 E6300 1.86GHZ
INTEL "GUARDFISH" VIDEO,DDR2,G-LAN,RAID (BLKDQ965GFEKR)
CLUB 3D X1950 PRO PCIE 512M 2XDVI-I+VIVO
CAVIAR 250GB SATA3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB
4 x CORSAIR DDR2 512MB 675MHZ CL4 ACTIVITYLED

Not sure which version I install, Business or Ultimate.. propably ultimate...
:D

:aok
I am a spy!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »
Originally posted by mipoikel
Sorry guys, Im moving to vista next weekend.:D

I ordered today:

CORE 2 E6300 1.86GHZ
INTEL "GUARDFISH" VIDEO,DDR2,G-LAN,RAID (BLKDQ965GFEKR)
CLUB 3D X1950 PRO PCIE 512M 2XDVI-I+VIVO
CAVIAR 250GB SATA3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB
4 x CORSAIR DDR2 512MB 675MHZ CL4 ACTIVITYLED

Not sure which version I install, Business or Ultimate.. propably ultimate...
:D

:aok

Good that you're sorry now because it will only double when you boot up to Vista :rofl

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
That is what MS announced the advertising budget was for Vista.  I suspect they started the campaign in Europe and Asia first.  They probably figure that is where they are going to have the highest resistance.

Here in the U.S., businesses which have support contracts with MS have to upgrade in order to keep thier contracts valid.  OEM's have to start shipping Vista when MS tells them to as well.

The only markets MS cannot force Vista on, is outside the U.S. and those individuals who build thier own computer.  But even those who build will have to upgrade, eventually, as MS will stop shipping XP as soon as they do the full release of Vista.  So MS has the U.S. market by the balls with nothing to be concerned about.

Overseas is another story.  So they are probably spending most of the ad budget advertising overseas to drive people to Vista.

Oh, I don't doubt they announced $1 billion, but it feels like $1 trillion! I think all assemblers are in a similar vice - install our OS exclusively, or you'll pay dearly trying to get it at all. Consumers get forced to it anyway, but I suspect MS is worried that corporate migration is going to be slow.  The receivables from bulk licenses will be slow and that is a huge chunk of change.

What company wants to pay for the agony of a complete system change, including the new/upgraded hardware to support it, and transition cost to productivity, if there isn't a measurable improvement in doing so?

We're all a little tired of that old snake oil line: "Improved productivity." :mad:

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
after you get done dumping the $$$ on ultimate vista 64 ...and find out it doesnt like games ... .... oh well .... you have a nice office OS with lots of bling bling .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Is Vista a way for MS to force PC gamers to look at the Xbox ? If its going to be such a hog i wouldnt put it past them to try and pull something like this . Come on Google !

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Which O.S. ?
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 08:35:39 AM »
Part of it has been spent on corporate tours pushing Vista on major corporations and OEM's as well.

The TV stuff starts running this month.

...and demos like this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1123221217782777472&q=ms+voice