Author Topic: ram question for Asus P4B533-E  (Read 186 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
ram question for Asus P4B533-E
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:38:32 PM »
Question:

I had a gig of ram in my computer with an ASUS P4B533-E mobo... 2 sticks of Corsair ddr 3200 512mb.

I recently bought 2 sticks of Crucial ddr 3200, 1 gig each, totaling 2 gigs of ram.  I replaced the Corsair with the Crucial and the computer fired up just fine, but I don't percieve any quicker performance, even  though the mobo documentation says it should accept  up to 2 gigs ram.  (i think the ram recommended originally was up to pc 2100, but for some reason I can't remember, i bought pc3200, being backward compatible)

I'm next to ignorant about ram timings and such, so i haven't messed with that.  My computer is overclocked, a 2.8 mhz at about 3.5 i think.  The divisor is 21 and the agp/pci ratio is 4:3.  i don't really know what i'm doing though.  

Another unexpected thing about this is that, with the Corsair ram, supposedly hi-performance ram, i could only get the FS bus up to about 142 before it became unstable.  with the Crucial ram it just kept on ticking up to 158 mhz.  i didn't go any higher because I want to figure out why i don't see a real snappy performance boost by doubling the amount of ram.

Any ideas, or resources I could check?  The board is an older one, so I'm not having much luck getting info on why this would be.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:43:34 PM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
ram question for Asus P4B533-E
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:14:28 PM »
Depending on what you use your computer for, you're not necessarily going to notice any difference in a jump from 1GB to 2Gigs of ram, unless you're using a very high performance GUI operating system (such as Vista), do a lot of 3D Design and stuff like that, or play high intensity games (in which case I think a higher performing video card may make more of a difference than RAM).

Yes a jump from say.. 256MB to 512MB of ram may make a world of difference, but for most people, a jump from 1 to 2 gigs may just be overkill.

I know my 2200XP system had a HUGE boost in performance by increasing my 256MB to 768MB... but any higher than that I'm not sure I'd notice.