Author Topic: Computer Lock-ups when playing AH  (Read 590 times)

Rojo

Computer Lock-ups when playing AH
« on: March 08, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »
I have a 550 MHz Compaq, with S3Savage4 video chipset (16 MB), and 128 MB of RAM.  While playing AH, my computer regularly locks up - screen freezes, keyboard and mouse locked up.  This happened quite regular often, but not every time I logged on.  However, with the latest patch (or maybe the one before), the lock-ups happen much more frequently, like every ten minutes on average. Sometimes, I don't even get out of the tower before the big freeze occurs.  Two nights ago, it occured five times in the course of 45 minutes.

I've contacted Compaq, who claimed it was a system resource problem (I didn't buy this explaination, since I've got a pretty capable computer...on paper, at least).  They had me run msconfig and uncheck a bunch of stuff to bring my "unused resources" reading above 90%, before starting AH; this has made no difference, as the problem continues.  The problem also occurs when playing WarBirds, but not European Air War.

Any idea why this might be happening?  It's about reached the point that I'm going to have to cancel my account until I figure out what the problem is.  The game is simply not worth the money until I do.  Thanks.

Desparately seeking solution,
Rich "Sabre" Jernejcic

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2000, 02:15:00 PM »
Rojo, this sounds like a lot like an overheating problem.  Have you inspected your CPU fan and video card to make sure they're functioning properly?  If they appear to be, you might try running with the case open to see if that makes a difference.  I'm not proposing that as a final solution, but just to see if it is indeed heat related.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Rojo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2000, 03:51:00 PM »
I'll give it a try tonight and let you know.  Thanks for the quick response, Pyro.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »
If you think you have a heat problem, use Motherboard Monitor to monitor the CPU and Ambient temperatures in your computer.  Check out:
 http://www.hatman.com/mbm/mbm.htm

Good Luck!
Aaron "Terror" Edwards

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2000, 09:00:00 PM »
Rojo;

I had a problem one time that sort of sounds like yours.

It turned out to be a bad memory location on one of my memory chips.  I found this out after contacting MS.  The tech told a way that Win98 can limit ram memory used.

At the time I had 64mb's.  Any time that I adjusted memory usabe, so that over 52mb's were used my computer would lock.  The lock ups seemed sporadic, but eventually lock up.  Restricting memory usage to under 52mb's and I never had a problem.

I am clueless on remembering how to do this, but it was very easy once the method was told to me.  Maybe this will get you on try track.

Good Luck!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew
Trainer

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2000, 07:42:00 AM »
My machine also locks up, but only when I go into the aces high 'setup' and try to change my radio button setting. As soon as I click on the button, my machine is glued in place. It does it online, offline, doesn't matter. The only way to get out is the reset button   . I have NO clue what would be causing this. This wouldn't be a heat related problem, as this is the only circumstance that I have any problems.

My system is a PIII 550mhz, 128meg, about a 12 gig western digital, Viper 770 TNTII ultra, USR 56k.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
HB, I don't understand what you mean by trying to change your radio button?  You mean in the keymapping?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Rojo

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2000, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll give Motherboard Monitor a try.  BTW, Pyro: I checked the fans, and both are operating normally. I took off the top and tryied running AH on-line...still locking up bad as ever  .  I still think it's this piece-of-dung S3Savage4 video card that came with my Compaq. It only happens in 3D applications like AH and WarBirds.  Gonna give Compaq tech support another try, I guess.  Plenty frustrating, I can tell you.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »
oops sorry, forgot where I had replied to this post.

Yes, pyro, I try to change the radio buttons in key mapping and my whole machine freezes. I have to press the reset because alt-tab, alt-F4, ctrl-esc, ctrl-alt-del, nothing works but the old reset button. I have no clue what the prob might be.

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2000, 07:41:00 AM »
I have a similar if not same problem.  I run on a P3 450, with 64meg or ram, a graphic Blaster Extreme 4meg video card with a diamond, Monster II 8 meg accelerator.  I tend to lock up when flying buffs much more often than fighters, but in any case, the lockups occur when flying steady at high alt. The last time it happened (tonight) The radio buffer, and cocpit dials destorted, but normaly I just freeze.

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook

Rojo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »
Well, the culprit has been found.  Replace the S3Savage4 AGP card with my old PCI Voodoo 3 2000. I haven't locked up since...not once. Compaq has some explaining to do, now.  Gonna ask for a refund or a replacement card (Viper 770'd be nice).  I'm even getting better fps with the Voodoo, too.  Can you believe that?

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)