Author Topic: Alt Advantage + Bomber Attack  (Read 413 times)

Offline Croak

• Zinc Member
Alt Advantage + Bomber Attack
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:09:04 PM »
Usually when I fly e-fighters (p51, p38, f4u etc), I find myself having a bit of an alt advantage over the target. My problem however, is when I move in to attack the enemy, I'll dive down on him, but I usually always overshoot and/or the enemy does a hard turn left or right. I know not to follow him through the turn, and conserve my E... but.. then what? I'm a bit lost here.

Another simple question is... whats the best way to approach and engage a bomber formation?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Alt Advantage + Bomber Attack
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
Originally posted by Croak

Another simple question is... whats the best way to approach and engage a bomber formation?

Keep your speed high, attack from angles both horizontal as well as vertical. For example alternate slashing attacks from above. Keep time in his gunsights minimum. Dont rake him, concentrate your bullets on a single point. Best place to hit is cockpit, inner engines (especially at 24s), wingroots. Be patient when setting up an attack. Greed will kill you. Attack drones first. When one bomber is on fire, wait until he explodes, then engage formation again.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:15:06 PM »
oops double post...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:17:45 PM by Bad31st »

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »
Generally when the first scenario you mention happens to me I spend a little of the E I gained diving on my target by climbing over the top and diving back down on the target....

As for your second question anywhere but dead 6...

when engaging ANY target consider it's strengths and weaknesses...LANC's for example - no ball turret meaning if you are below them they can't shoot you.

In anycase - avoid attacking from 6:00 and try to attack from angles that make it difficult or impossible to get an easy shot ON you.

I hate to say it but I learned to attack bombers by flying bombers and getting attacked - up some bombers and record your engagements watch what the pilots that you can't shoot down do...

Offline Croak

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:11:48 PM »
Thanks for the help guys :) I really appreciate it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:58 AM »
As someone already stated, I use my e-advantage to go back over the top to set up another diving attack.  As to how to engage there is a very good discussion of it here:

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194084&highlight=bomber

Search is your friend.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »
IN general, take the time to get above them. The farther to the side of their flight path, the farther you need to be ahead of them when you break, so that you dont end up on their 6. (Remember, they travel forward while you dive!) The farther ahead you are, the more vulnerable you are to them turning away from you and converting your "ahead of them" into "behind them."

Best of all is a bit over 1 K directly above them. If they turn, you just roll a little with the dive to stay on them. I'm a wing root guy, myself - -nver had much success hitting cockpit area. Will have to try that more!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:49:37 AM »
Be Patient!

I'm the worst at attacking bombers so u can learn from my mistakes. Attacking from their Six is suicide:eek: .

take the time to get Alt and do what the other pilots are saying: attack from the sides or head on and then pull up and do it again.

I, of course,  will continue to get shredded because I don't do what I say
:o

Cheers,

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Croak

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:16:45 PM »
lol thanks guys :)

Ill also remember the search feature.

I noticed some people posting films to demonstrate different manuevers, etc...

Is it acceptable to post films for other to critique and give advice i.e "should have done a _____ , instead of what you did" or a "I would have done this differently?".  I learn by doing. I can go back and review my own films a thousand times and not get anything out of them. I believe it takes the criticism of others.  Is this an appropriate forum to post these? Thanks :)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 12:36:20 PM »
well when i atk bombers, i just sneak up on them.... from below, for b17,b24,ju88 i just go head on with them since they got weak armament in front. when i pass them, i turn right, do a loop over it and fire all guns into it. not only that, if my plane were heavily damaged and i noe i wun make bak to base, i ramm:D :O

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp