Author Topic: How To Drive on Ice (or How I made RPM Laugh His Patootie Off)  (Read 608 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
How To Drive on Ice (or How I made RPM Laugh His Patootie Off)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 09:59:04 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Just more proof that the average person is a complete idiot.

Glad you leaned on your experience RPM, I find myself doing the exact same thing when it's raining buckets here and people don't think that rain affects traction.

Idiots.

:aok

If it wasn't for all the "average" people on what would you base your superiority?

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 10:19:18 AM »
Originally posted by mussie
I have been thinking about mounting a small sprayer (like what they use to wash the window in a car) and filling it with paint stripper but Then I will just get in the chit...

I've had similar thoughts, except mine involved mounting the paintball gun that I haven't used in years under my rear bumper...  ;)

seriously though, my Jeep may not be much to look at, but I know how to drive it.  I loooove seeing these big, expensive SUV's who think they're glued to the road find out the hard way that 4WD doesn't help you stop faster.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 10:20:20 AM »
"
Today's lesson, no matter how much you spent on your vehicle, no matter how much of a big shot you believe you are, physics rules."

unless your the plow operator...

its all fun and games until some moron trucker holds up traffic for 3 hours...

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »
Originally posted by vorticon
"
Today's lesson, no matter how much you spent on your vehicle, no matter how much of a big shot you believe you are, physics rules."

unless your the plow operator...

its all fun and games until some moron trucker holds up traffic for 3 hours...

another reason I love my jeep, I'll just go around it...  :)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »
Speaking of driving on ice, my area doesn’t have privilege of snowing or being below zero and therefore I cannot practice those skills. Is there a driving simulator that does adequate job of teaching those finite techniques?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Just more proof that the average person is a complete idiot.

Glad you leaned on your experience RPM, I find myself doing the exact same thing when it's raining buckets here and people don't think that rain affects traction.

Idiots.

:aok

Geesh.. it doesn't rain buckets here... barrels yes.. buckets noooo
You've been sitting on top of the ferris wheel on the boardwalk too long :lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 12:27:06 PM »
Just because the guy was tailgating you, doesn't mean he feels he's the superior man than you.

It just means that you should try to move out the way when it is safe.

I myself slow down in bad weather.  If someone wants to go faster than me, and I'm in the way, I usually just move out the way when it is safe.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
Whenever someone tailgates me, I slow down... a lot.
sand

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 12:48:10 PM »
If tailgated, I slow down to match the gap between his and my vehicle where the gap will be a safe distance in case of a panic stop.

Changing lanes is not an option sometimes.  If the roads are hazardous, I will not attempt a lane change.

In the D/FW area, it is usually pretty dangerous to try and change lanes due to all the tailgating that goes on.

It's a bit funny.  Tail gaters want you out of the way, but you cannot move due to the tail gaters.  Hehe.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
Maybe I should have described the road a bit better. 2 lane blacktop with shoulders. They could have passed me at anytime but wanted me to pull over and get out of the way instead. Sorry, I'm staying in the lane where the last bit of traction is. You want to pass, be my guest and change lanes.

I probably saved their life. If I had moved out of the way they would have been running 65 or more when they hit the ice instead of 40-45.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
but i thought with 4wd an ABS an SRS an traction control i didn't have to know how to drive on ice?  i'm going to sue the mfg of such a unsafe vehicle.:rolleyes:

Originally Stated by George Carlin
Some of these people think that by buying a safe car, it excuses them from the responsibility of having to learn how to drive the ****ing thing

:)

-BB(B)
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
I had a similar experience this morning trying to get to work. I am employed out in Grapevine, quite a jaunt from my little Lake Worth home, and the reports this morning were not looking good. I called my boss to let her know about the situation.

"Oh, I live out there in Saginaw and I made it at 8. The roads are fine and it's business as usual out here."

Guess that means I'm goin' to work. Ok, no sweat, right? Roads shouldn't be too bad and the sand they laid out should be enough to get me there in one piece. So I set out, ice still covering the passenger windows of my little Cavalier. I tried the windsheild wipers and found them coated with ice. My washer nozzels (which are on the wiper arms) are also frozen. Hopefully I won't need them.

Getting on the highway was a chore, and I knew it was going to be an interesting ride. The onramp to 820 was still coated with thin ice and I had to maintain control of the back of the car just as much as the front. After slip-sliding up the ramp, I settle into the grooves worn into the sand on the highway. Other drivers are zipping by me on my left, but I'm settled at about fifty-five and maintaining good control. Sand is getting thrown up by other vehicles and a thin layer of wet sand start coating my windshield. With no effective wipers and no washer fluid, I deal with it as best I can. People are riding my tail but there's nowhere to go. Changing lanes would forfiet any control I had. I can visibly see ice coating the lane dividers.

As I pass under my first overpass, I can feel the driver's side front wheel break loose and start spinning. I let off the throttle and downshift into fourth as the car starts to veer in the direction of traction. Namely, the shoulder. Using gentle inputs on the wheel and throttle I manage to retain a little control but the drivers behind me took the opportunity to blow past me horns blazing. With nowhere left to go, I put the car on the should and closed the throttle entirely. The car eventually slid to a gentle stop.

I'm young and dumb, and ice driving ain't for me. Called in to work anyway and limped the car back home. :(