Author Topic: Any woodworkers, you got to have this  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Any woodworkers, you got to have this
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 01:52:35 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Scary thought though.
His latest aspiration..

Is to become a Dentist :O

LMAO
I have to wonder sometimes...

Why would someone as a teenager choose to want to be a dentist?

they like smelling people's nasty breath and like putting things into strangers mouths?

it's not an extremely lucrative profession?

kind of like why on earth would someone willingly choose to be a proctologist?
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 02:12:08 AM »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 02:14:56 AM »
image no showie
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 02:16:27 AM »
it's steve martin in little house of horrors pulling a guy's tooth out.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:18 AM »
That's neat.  I will be in the market for either a table saw or radial arm saw sometime this year, and this sort of feature is definately something I'd like to have.  I can't fly without fingers and I really don't want my wife to chop off any of her body parts either.  It's about 3x the cost of a similiar craftsman saw from Sears, but it only takes one incident for it to suddenly become the best investment you ever made.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:54 AM »
Originally posted by JB88
it's steve martin in little house of horrors pulling a guy's tooth out.
I know I "Quoted" you to see the link, then manually ripsnorted-and-pasted... just was letting you know

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 02:38:47 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
That's neat.  I will be in the market for either a table saw or radial arm saw sometime this year, and this sort of feature is definately something I'd like to have.  I can't fly without fingers and I really don't want my wife to chop off any of her body parts either.  It's about 3x the cost of a similiar craftsman saw from Sears, but it only takes one incident for it to suddenly become the best investment you ever made.

I'm not in total disagreement with what you wrote eagl but it's just like flying, pay absolute attention to what you are doing and plan ahead and you shouldn't have any problems.

The only thing that bothers me about this saw is that it can make you even more complacent due to all the saftey features. What do you do if your forced to use another one without all those features. I'm not saying you should buy the cheapest most dangerous thing out there. A really good table saw is worth it.

Mark
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 04:18:47 AM »
Mark,

You're absolutely right.  I am fully confident in the woodworking training I've received and in my usual "standard" of working within my capabilities, but I also know a lot of other highly skilled people missing body parts due to woodworking mistakes.  Complacency kills in my line of work and I try to carry that into everything I do, just to keep in practice :)  I know the "right" way to use these tools, and I won't change what I do because of a safety feature.

It's like deliberately over-stressing an aircraft just because I wear a parachute... Not gonna happen, but I'll still wear the 'chute just in case.

I am also very concerned about my wife using woodworking tools.  She is very interested in building furniture and I know for a fact that sooner or later one of us is going to make a mistake in the shop, and only proper preparation (buying into safety features) or blind luck will save us.

I've already had my blind luck incident when my hand was pulled into a drill press in high school metal shop, and I only lost a little skin instead of wrapping my hand and wrist around the chuck like the guy in the safety video I'd seen just the week prior.  Crap happens and if there is a technology solution that addresses one of the most common and most serious workshop injury potentials, then it's probably irresponsible to pass it up.

I can afford a $3,000 table saw a lot more than I can afford a career-ending injury or the hospital bill that would come after sawing off a few fingers.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 07:21:38 AM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
I have to wonder sometimes...

Why would someone as a teenager choose to want to be a dentist?

they like smelling people's nasty breath and like putting things into strangers mouths?

it's not an extremely lucrative profession?

kind of like why on earth would someone willingly choose to be a proctologist?

He seems to think it is (lucrative)

Fortunately in the last 4 months in college he's thought about being a politician, a lawyer, and now a dentist. Im kindasorta hoping he picks somethig else in the next 3-4 years.

;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »
I've worked in manufacturing for 20+ years now. Bad things will happen for sure, but they are certain to happen to people who aren't careful.

Once had a guy slice into the meat between his thumb and forefinger with a metal saw, about 2 inches. He was calm as could be just holding it and saying he had a little accident. The ******* came up dirty on the drug test for 3 different drugs.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »
That compucarve thing is COOL!  I'm going to have to look into it.  As for the Sawstop saw, I understand the comments about it possibly making an operator more complacent.  The problem is, if you believe the accident statistics posted on Sawstop's web site, it happens anyways.  I think of my self as pretty safe driver, but I'm still glad to have the seat belts and airbags.  Plus, the $70 to replace the blade break and $10-$20 to replace the saw blade after an accident is high enough to make me want to avoid it.  Not to mention the $7-$8 bucks for the six-pack I'd immediately drink following activiation of the sawstop device...and the laundry costs and new pair of shorts.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline dogsnot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »
I am a fine furniture maker, and I can tell you It is not if you get hurt, but when.  You can be as safe and conscious as you can be, but murphy is always there.  Sawstop is an incredible tool, but I dont think it will ever be mandated on all saws.  Wood working is dangerous, and every little thing that can make it that much safer and help you go home at the end of the day with all your digits is a small price to pay.

Dog

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 06:08:42 PM »
It looks pretty cool, but I wonder if aluminum, copper, staticy plastics, foam, or damp wood would trip it?  I cut non wood things on my table saw all the time.  

If I had one I’d probably just chop something off with my band saw, miter saw, scroll saw, skill saw, sawzall or jig saw…

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
Originally posted by dogsnot
I am a fine furniture maker, and I can tell you It is not if you get hurt, but when.  You can be as safe and conscious as you can be, but murphy is always there.  Sawstop is an incredible tool, but I dont think it will ever be mandated on all saws.  Wood working is dangerous, and every little thing that can make it that much safer and help you go home at the end of the day with all your digits is a small price to pay.

Dog

I'd like to see some pictures of your work; please post.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »
a nuther thing woodwerkrs needs:  wood