Author Topic: Do you Fly?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 07:44:03 AM »
4XTCH,

Here's a thread previously posted about solos.  Thought you might be interested:

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=186242&referrerid=6283

In answer to your questions:

1. Do you or have you ever held a Student or Private pilots license? Yes

2. Do you fly GA aircraft, Commercal aircraft, Military aircraft? GA

4. Do you own or lease any aircraft? Rent

5. What type ratings do you currently hold? ASEL

6. Any other tidbits of information you'd like to share with the community about your real life flying experiences.  

The link above has my first solo, so I won't post that again.  But here's another flying story I have.

My first passenger (other than my wife) is one of my co-workers.  Well, the airport we were going to for the plane was about 30 miles away.  Since his wife was 8 1/2 month pregnant, I suggested he leave his car at a grass field (Hub, that's in Wesfield) that was on the way just in case.  He kind of laughed at me, but said okay.  Anyway, we got to the airport, and just as I'm finishing up my preflight, his wife called and informed him her water had broken.  Took her 5 minutes on the phone to convince him she wasn't joking because earlier in the week she had jokingly told him she would call him and say that.  He looked at me and said I had to get him back to his car and started heading toward the parking lot.  I told him the preflight was done and just get in the plane - it would be faster.  We hopped in, I ran my checklist and flew him to the grass strip.  He made it with a couple hours to spare in time to take his wife to the hospital.

Glove

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »
I started a bit of flying in a 172 a few years ago just to compare the real thing to flight sims, never really to get the license. just wanted to learn and try stuff out. I was able to land unassisted on my first flight, and pretty much just went up and did touch & goes (and a few stalls) over the next few weeks.. so, my logbook shows 4.3 total hours, 16 landings.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 09:55:56 AM »
I got my private in Sept 02' and my instrumentation in '04. My first 110 hours were in a 172 with the the exception of my first night flight which was in a piper warrior (low wing). I currently have 536hours and I would say without adding them up that 280 are in a 99' 206, maybe 100 in a 152 and the rest a 172.

I can remember the day I solo'd very well. My flight instructor(who was a navy buddy)  and another friend of mine (who was doing his very first flight) and I were cruising around and he looked back and said "are ya ready to solo?"....I was all cocky (thinking it wouldn't be TODAY) and said "hell ya". He then replied "ok, when we land it's all yours"........ummm you mean today i thought??? I just about passed out. I had no excuses because it was a perfect day. Well, we landed and he grabbed a hand held and we taxied out to the runway and he jumped out and said "see ya after 3 touch and goes" After i got her rolling it was like all my nerves went away and it was all second nature. The only hard thing about it was on the climb out it was quit different without his weight in there and it took some getting used to because we had done so many together at that airport i did alot of stuff (such as turn on crosswind, downwind, base etc) by my altitude at the time.(I know it's wrong but....hey i was new)

It was without question one of the most satisfying days of my life.

Offline 4XTCH

• Nickel Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
One of my first porst:

R U A Real Pilot

Thanks Mussie
Didnt mean to hijack or copy your thread.
<>
 BTW I read the posts and loved all of the aerial/ personal photos of everyones planes.
This is the type of discussion that I was trying to provoke.
 Sometimes the bbs get so loaded down in the negative that I thought "the wife has a question.... ask it... see where it goes"

4XTCH
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:20:30 PM by 4XTCH »
~364TH C-HAWKS FG~

Offline VVV

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/waroftheworldsfan
Do you Fly?
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
I'm 17 and have my Student Pilot certificate. I soloed on 6/22/06. I'll have my Private by the end of next month. I plan on either flying for the USAF or flying Airtankers for the California Department of Forestry. :)
Now flying as FalconAM.

~~~The Unforgiven~~~

VAW-116 "Sunkings"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Do you Fly?
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 01:10:37 PM »
My flying time was mostly long ago, before there were multiplayer air-combat sims.  I had dreamed about flying (especially about WWII fighter combat) for a long time.  When I was 15, I was very lucky, and my parents gave me the gift of a goodly number of flying lessons in Cessna 150's and 152's.  I got to the point of doing my cross-country work (past soloing and being able to fly solo into the practice area), but didn't finish.

I liked flying over my neighborhood, doing circles over my friends' houses.  One time, I took up with me a GI Joe with a parachute on.  I told my friends I'd fly over and drop out Joe.  I got over the neighborhood and did a few circles, getting all my pals out into the open area behind the houses and got ready to throw Joe out the window.  I had rigged up a length of string around Joe and the chute with a slip knot, so that I could throw Joe out and down from the window.  That way, he could get a little distance from the plane before the string would go taught and open the chute.

Once I was ready and lined up, I opened the window and threw Joe as hard as I could downward.  However, the window was at a bit of an awkward angle for throwing, I didn't get much downward velocity on Joe, and I had totally misjudged how Joe would travel once entering the airstream.  Instead of going down and then having the chute open, the wind whipped Joe almost straight back, then the chute opened -- and Joe and the chute immediately stuck on the horizontal stabilizer, with the chute on top and Joe on the bottom.

I sat there looking at the situation.  My first thought was about how stupid I was going to look landing back at the strip and taxiing back with Joe stuck on my plane.  My second thought was about how there was a hard-plastic GI Joe doll stuck on my horizontal stabilizer near the joint of the stabilizer and the elevator, and that if Joe got stuck inbetween the two, it could be very, very bad.

I sat there, looking back as I flew along, thinking about what to do when I noticed that the chute on top of the stabilizer (which started out being plastered flat against the stabilizer) was slowly, slowly starting to peel back and to open.  In another second or two, it opened completely and whipped backward from the plane.  Joe, who was on the underside of the stabilizer, rocketed forward, around the stabilizer, and then back -- his arms and legs flying off from the centrifugal force.

The resulting armless, legless Joe then drifted down toward my pals, who retrieved him.

In my flying days, I especially liked landing on a nearby grass strips where you had to keep the nose up during roll, and the plane would do jumps after hitting the crossing runway that ran across the grass strip; flying in very turbulent and gusty air, which would throw the plane all over the sky; and landing in gusty, turbulent, crosswind conditions (at one point with the instructor and I practicing touch and goes in what we learned later were crosswinds above the rating for the 152).

In the end, though, flying 152's just wasn't what I was after.  It was more like driving the family car to the store instead of driving in an off-road rally.  I got my taste of real flying, which was great, but that was enough for me.

Many years later, Air Warrior was invented, and that was what I really wanted:  air combat in WWII fighters against many other pilots.  I was hooked.

After that, I once went to Air Combat USA, flying a Marchetti SF-260 (a two-place aerobatic prop plane) in mock combat against other Marchettis.  This was after having gotten proficient in Air Warrior.  I went with another Air Warrior buddy (JWolff of the Muskateers) who was very kind and treated me to it while I was still in school.  JWolff and I proceeded handily to beat a commercial-rated pilot who was with us and who had much, much more real flying time than we did, pointing out that the techniques of Air Warrior translated over to real life just fine.  The Marchetti handled (in terms of feel) much like a P-51 in Air Warrior (although of course of less performance -- I'm just talking about feel).

These days, what I fly for is WWII-era air combat, especially in scenarios, as those seem the closest to the WWII action I've only otherwise read about.

Offline 4XTCH

• Nickel Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
That Gets my Vote as THE FUNNIEST Story out of all that I have read:rofl :rofl :rofl

4XTCH
~364TH C-HAWKS FG~

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

That's funny as hell man:D

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »
My friend and I were asked to spread ashes of a fella that had been cremated and wanted his ashes spread over his lifetime family farm. No problem right? Well, it was about 90degrees that day and we lifted in our 152 off the grass strip with 6 of the family members there to watch. We only had to fly 4 miles to the site where we were to spread his ashes. Well, I was flying and my buddy was supposed to send ole' Ed back to the earth....He opened the window and I proceeded to do a steep turn and he let Ed fly......Apparently Ed didn't want to leave the plane too bad because I would say 50% of him came back in and since my buddy and I were sweating badly.....alot of Ed got stuck on Bucky and Rich. We spent the next 10 minutes franticly dusting each other off and sticking our heads out the window to try to get rid of any "ed"vidence (lol...ya i just came up with that). When we landed we had most of Ed off us so i don't think the family noticed....thank god!

RIP Ed:D

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 03:03:31 PM »
Originally posted by Bucky73
My friend and I were asked to spread ashes of a fella that had been cremated and wanted his ashes spread over his lifetime family farm. No problem right? Well, it was about 90degrees that day and we lifted in our 152 off the grass strip with 6 of the family members there to watch. We only had to fly 4 miles to the site where we were to spread his ashes. Well, I was flying and my buddy was supposed to send ole' Ed back to the earth....He opened the window and I proceeded to do a steep turn and he let Ed fly......Apparently Ed didn't want to leave the plane too bad because I would say 50% of him came back in and since my buddy and I were sweating badly.....alot of Ed got stuck on Bucky and Rich. We spent the next 10 minutes franticly dusting each other off and sticking our heads out the window to try to get rid of any "ed"vidence (lol...ya i just came up with that). When we landed we had most of Ed off us so i don't think the family noticed....thank god!

:O
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:10:20 PM by Gloves »

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
I started flying at age 16 through Civil Air Patrol. I soloed at 16 and earned my private certificate at 17. Every penny of the money spent on my private license came from my own labor.

I guess my parents could see I was serious about it because they helped me pay for a degree in Aviation.

When I graduated I had a CFII and Multi rating. I instructed for a while and lucked into a job flying a Piper Seneca around.

When I reached the milestone of 1200 hours I got a job flying charter in Beech Barons, Piper Senecas, Piper Cheyene and a bunch of different King Airs. After a year of that I became fascinated with flying freight.

I spent 7 years doing that, mostly in Beech 18's

http://www.beech18.com/

Lots of stories to go along with that experience.

I took a few years off of flying then came back as a Director of Operations for a few different small charter airlines.

During that time I flew King Airs, several small business jets and the Embraer Brasilia.

After that I worked for FlightSafety for 5 years until I was offered my current job.

I now fly the corporate version of the Canadair Regional Jet in both corporate and passenger charter operations.

We fly all over North and South America and do the occasional trip across the Atlantic.

I hold an ATP with EMB120,Lear60 and CL65 type ratings.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »
A mixed bag of experience from me.

It starts with being the son of a RAF sergeant pilot with a Mother who spent some time as a secretary at a test establishment taking test pilots comments shorthand while sitting next to the loudspeaker!

Many years flying models, mainly Radio Control including displays.

As a student I joined the gliding club and became the first student there ever to go solo. As a solo pilot using winch launch I  had only two previous dual aerotows. One on a still day when the winch was working very hard, the other for the spin and stall check before I had solo'd. So when a friend was checked out for aerotow one day I decided to have one just the the experience. After a clean flight, and on landing what was my third dual aerotow, the instructor just signed me off! - It had never entered my mind. Needless to say I grabbed the single seater and did another areotow straight away.

I rarely descended with airbrake, chosing instead to dive at max speed. One day doing this I was maxed out at 750 feet and saw the two seater K13 at 1500 feet. It only needed relaxing the forward pressure on the stick to go up - I joined the K13 just above them at a little over 30 knots left on the ASI. The guys in the K13 later commented on the incredible sight of the Slingsby Swallow climbing up at them in a very steep attitude. Not something any of them had ever seen!

A decade on I took up hang gliding. Terrific fun and genuinely more adrenalin rush than sailplanes. Nothing quite like being at near 2000 feet up and being able to bend your head forward and see your boot toes and the inverted horizon, and suddenly being aware of certain creaks and groans from the frame you never noticed low down!

Another decade later I went onto light aircraft, but my hearing was always going to be a problem so I didn't actually take the GFT. I did however reach that level and was sent on solo cross country flights. A potential weakness was engine failures as I never really committed to the practice landing, due to knowing it was not going to happen, until one day the instructor chopped the throttle near the airfield. I was told it was an engine failure and I was going to put it down! I sorted of laughed at him and said with all that runway nearby, no problem. The answer focused my attention when he said put it on grass 22. All three grass runways are a lot shorter than our tarmac ones and 22 is the shortest of the lot and add a bit of crosswind for added fun element! Declaring our intent we had a few spectators out on the tower. Setting it down perfectly full flap and real gentle touchdown earned me a round of applause and a better appreciation of engine failure approaches. This instructor also showed me how to flick roll a Cessena152. We did in fact spend a lot time on aeobatics because thats what I wanted to do. Alas you don't get signed off for that solo without passing your GFT first!

Plenty of memorable moments but nothing really spectacular unless severely stalling a glider counts! I had read up that if you slowed up at the rate of one knot a second, then when the aircraft stalled that would be its stated stall speed. So I did just that. Concentrating on the ASI (yep fixated!) and only starting to slow from something in the very low 30's the stated stall speed for type came and went and still the speed was dropping off with no apparent stall until suddenly, speed dropped away rapidly and I looked up. Now in a near 45 degree nose up attitude I locked the stick between my legs and awaited the tailslide. Thankgod it didn't, but when the nose dropped it went straight into the vertical and sort of fish tailed like a pendulum! - Worst still the club CFI saw me do it ! He asked if I was attempting a chandelle (Very polite of him I thought), but I came clean and addmitted to what I had done and nothing more was said!

Getting married and the birth of my son put the brake on full size flying so Air Warrier on compuserve was my next step before moving to AH
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:03:00 PM by Blagard »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Do you Fly?
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »
Originally posted by Bucky73

Oh, man!  It reminds me of a scene out of The Big Lebowski! :)

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
Im currently working on my PPL. Some time in a 172 , and a Saratoga II TC. It is with out a doubt the greatest feeling when your flying a plane is real life.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Gliders lisence.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.