Author Topic: What you do for a living  (Read 2509 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
What you do for a living
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2007, 02:50:17 AM »
That would be the obvious answer.  

I guess I'm more interested in knowing what is it that he has to use the microfiche for that hasn't been digitized yet.

I used one at the Mercedes repair shop that I managed but they have since upgraded to completely digitized parts diagrams.

PS - How's the rum and coke?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
What you do for a living
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2007, 02:52:25 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX

PS - How's the rum and coke?

Great!:D

Mark
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
What you do for a living
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »
Originally posted by DieAz
you ain't never been deer < the 4 legged kind > hunting have you? those paintings are the usual view when deer hunting here in the south.

back on topic, hmmm a living hmmmm, I think I past the point of living and became a zombie. for a job I think I'm a machinist, I can't remember. go in to work never knowing what I'm going to be doing. I do whatever they say they need done. < shrugs > it a job. what I'd like to do for a living, well mmm, beats me. almost 40 and still don't know what I want to do. usually feel like doing nothing.
been thinking about going to college so I can get one of those high paying pointless jobs doing nothing.

p.s. back to Vulcan , yer auntie is a hottie, send her my way. :D :cool:

Well I know they're not near Tallahassee, because they are missing the
large flourescent orange "COW" painted on their flanks.  Sure enough some
knucklehead manages to bag one of them thar "Smart Deer" :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
What you do for a living
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
I am a mail order husband.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline republic

• Silver Member
What you do for a living
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2007, 12:26:16 PM »
I'm a technology director for a school district, and I teach an advanced computers class.
P-47 pilot

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
What you do for a living
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
unix systems administrator

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
What you do for a living
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2007, 01:12:16 PM »
North American Sales Manager for an international pipe manufacturer. I get to travel all over the US and go to Europe 2-3 times a year. Pay is decent and the travel is less than what you might think. My Bachelor's degree is in Exercise Science with a minor in US History. I have worked in many jobs but none were as fun as being the head of security for a heavy metal rock club here in Birmingham while in college and playing football. Talk about having the best of every imaginable world for a 22 year old guy.

During that time I got to hang out with lots of pro baseball, basketball and football players and had job offers to go on tour with a few bands like Collective Soul, Superchunk and The Dave Matthews Band in their early days when they were opening for other bands in between their college band gigs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:31:30 PM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
What you do for a living
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2007, 12:25:23 AM »
Philosophy on Organization? My officemate claims the best solution to the office organizational problem would be to rectify the gender imbalance of the office. An office full of men will look like a man's office.

I personally don't have a problem with the organization. It's actually a person- and task- oriented stack system. So if I need something, I go to the desk where I was working on it last, and dig to the layer that corresponds to the last time I used it.

Last spring, however, we hit a "tipping point", where it was easier to print out new copies than go search for the old ones. That's when you clean the office.

Microfilm (and Fiche) reader: A lot of our material (images of medieval manuscripts) is conserved on microfilm. 50 years ago, this was the only solution. Today, we can buy digital photos, but libraries are conservative when it comes to these things, and many still don't offer this option. For those that do, they often still have a microfilm of the text, and it's far cheaper to make a copy of the microfilm than pay a professional photographer to shoot an entire book. Furthermore, microfilms can last hundreds of years in storage, without human intervention. Digital formats can last that long only under constant maintenance (say once every ten years or so). So we get stuff on Microfilm. The microfilms we work on heavily, I scan in. On the network, I've set up a repository with those images, and the files we're working on (along with a simple revision control system), so that, in theory, I can do most of my work from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

But we still use the reader.