Author Topic: map idea  (Read 307 times)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
map idea
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:27 AM »

i posted this in the main forum.  It's a real simple idea right now, but envision it to have a little something for everyone. Maybe one of you professionals would like to build it?
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
map idea
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
Why don't you? My tutorials get you up and on your feet, their most highly recommended by people who have used them.:D
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
map idea
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
Does your tutorial explain how to make an image into a terrain. I can't even get past that part?  
I do have alot of time on my hands right now, and would be willing to do something for the community.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
map idea
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
Yes it does, although lots of people on XP operating systems have been having trouble applying them to their terrains.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I thought you meant a clipboard map. No it doesn't, the TE doesn't have that feature, you need an external program for that, I think its called mapmaker or something. Ask NHawk, he knows.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
map idea
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »
Originally posted by Speed55
Does your tutorial explain how to make an image into a terrain. I can't even get past that part?  
I do have alot of time on my hands right now, and would be willing to do something for the community.
You would need to create an elevation BMP for the terrain.

The way I would do it to get the shape you want is to create a full 256x256 terrain. Then I'd use your shape as a mask and punch it out of the terrain. Then I'd smooth the coastlines if needed.

The exact methods are too hard for me to explain. I could probably do it in five minutes, but if I tried to explain my way it would probably be a book. ;)

Probably the easiest way is to take the BMP you have and convert it to a grayscale BMP. Make water true black (RGB 0,0,0). Make your land masses 1 above black (RGB 1,1,1). Then import that into the TE (Edit: The BMP to be imported must be a 1024 x 1024 bmp. The center 512 x 512 area will give you a 256 x 256 mile map. /edit). Then start making your terrain features.

A variation is to do the above, but make your terrain features (RGB 0,0,0 to RBG 255,255,255) in an editor before you import it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:55:48 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.