Author Topic: Immelmen vs. Immelmen  (Read 836 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
I have recently gotten into several situations where I immelmen and so does my adversary (same direction) .  We end up going in circles until someone decides to try something else.  I loop and loop and loop and never seem to get a gun solution.  I feel like a dog chasing my tail...  

Question is, if you are in an endless dryer cycle of immels, when is a good time to break and what is the best manuver?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »
Who said you have to stay in the fight? Why not begin a climb away from him? Why not lead turn him? You can lead him into the turn and end up on his six iso head to head. There are many things you can do. A lot also depends on the plane types. Can you turn inside his loop? The variables are endless. The one thing you can count on in dogfighting is for every maneuver there is a counter to it.

As far as buggin, anytime his belly is to you (turning away) is an good time to unload and bug. Never give away alt as you bug unless it's required to extend. Once you determine you are extending begin a shallow climb as you continue to extend. If you don't to fight the guy for whatever the reason just stay level and bug toward home.

When we begin we all have this thought that when we see another plane we just gotta go get into a fight with him. There is no hard fast rule that says you just gotta get into a fight that puts you at a disadvantage. At anytime you can bug and reset the fight or just choose to continue on and come back with an advantage.

The biggest issue is most new folks die alot because they learn maybe a merge. Ok, great! Lessee I go up in an immelman...Then what do I do?  Or, I split esse or break hard...then what? You can break a dogfight into three parts. The setup and merge, the middle fight and end game. Old timers have seen the setups so many times its become second nature to judge the setup, expect the enemy to do exactly what he wants then set him up for the kill. How many times have you dived on some dude and then died a few seconds later? Would you believe he mighta planned on your doing that? He also set you up to turn the way he wants you to? And when you do it he shoots you down? And if you don't do it then no big deal. He can choose to stay in the fight or walk away anytime.

What I'm trying to get at is there is no easy answer to your question but there is a way to get better spend time with a trainer and learn tactics and SA along with other important things you just gotta know to win consistantly.

Hope this helps.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Who said you have to stay in the fight? Why not begin a climb away from him? Why not lead turn him? You can lead him into the turn and end up on his six iso head to head. There are many things you can do. A lot also depends on the plane types.

I don't always stay and fight.  Matter of fact, that so far, is the only thing I do do that works.
Can you turn inside his loop?

This is the one I struggle with the most.  When me and the other guy are going the same way, I can't get enough lead to get a shot.
The variables are endless. The one thing you can count on in dogfighting is for every maneuver there is a counter to it.

As far as buggin, anytime his belly is to you (turning away) is an good time to unload and bug. Never give away alt as you bug unless it's required to extend. Once you determine you are extending begin a shallow climb as you continue to extend. If you don't to fight the guy for whatever the reason just stay level and bug toward home.

When we begin we all have this thought that when we see another plane we just gotta go get into a fight with him. There is no hard fast rule that says you just gotta get into a fight that puts you at a disadvantage. At anytime you can bug and reset the fight or just choose to continue on and come back with an advantage.

I know, just looking for a suggestion and maybe your first one is the best (run...I mean extend and re-engauge)
The biggest issue is most new folks die alot because they learn maybe a merge. Ok, great! Lessee I go up in an immelman...Then what do I do?  Or, I split esse or break hard...then what? You can break a dogfight into three parts. The setup and merge, the middle fight and end game. Old timers have seen the setups so many times its become second nature to judge the setup, expect the enemy to do exactly what he wants then set him up for the kill. How many times have you dived on some dude and then died a few seconds later? Would you believe he mighta planned on your doing that? He also set you up to turn the way he wants you to? And when you do it he shoots you down? And if you don't do it then no big deal. He can choose to stay in the fight or walk away anytime.

What I'm trying to get at is there is no easy answer to your question but there is a way to get better spend time with a trainer and learn tactics and SA along with other important things you just gotta know to win consistantly.

Not looking for the easy answer, just best options.  

Been to the TA (thanks TC).  Now I am trying to apply what I learned and need some clearifications.  Between what I learned and getting a better machine , my fighter rank has made a big jump.  

Hope this helps.

Yes it did, and thanks

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 01:50:35 PM »
you have to start thinking "Outta the Box" (Circle) ... you may have to risk a little tail to gain there tail .    

Widen your turn radius  and then stall turn adding some flap and gain a deflection shot ..

Also Rank dont mean squat in this game when compared to skill .. hit % and death/kills is about all that really counts

Here's a decent film of what your after I think .
Roospit film
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
you have to start thinking "Outta the Box" (Circle) ... you may have to risk a little tail to gain there tail .    

Widen your turn radius  and then stall turn adding some flap and gain a deflection shot ..

Also Rank dont mean squat in this game when compared to skill .. hit % and death/kills is about all that really counts

Here's a decent film of what your after I think .
Roospit film

Thanks, I will look at the film once at home.

BTW, is going from .27 k/d 1.32 hit% last tour to .97 - 5.16% this tour a good improvement?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:32:46 PM »
5 % hit  is about avg for alot of players (in fighter mode)

12-20% is what most of the top dogs get in here with aggressive dogfighting and going for the Forshure shots .

it takes time to learn to use very short bursts and to not waste cannon rounds , Joystick bounce has alot to do with Hit % also the steadier you are when you fire the better the hit .

I'll waste ammo at times getting guys to "Flinch" and bleed off energy or to cause them to lose concentration .

Turning off the stall buffet sound in Game helps too . (one of my tricks for better concentration)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
Question is, if you are in an endless dryer cycle of immels, when is a good time to break and what is the best manuver?

This happens quite frequently.  It's one of the best ways to practice your energy tactics.  You can always do what others have suggested, which is to dive away, but assuming that you want to stay and fight, here's my input:

First, make a quick assessment of who's got the best climb rate.  That's the one who's going to win if the two of you keep doing immels.  If it's you, great, stay with the immels, watch for him to make a turn when he realizes he has to go to Plan B.  If it's not you, then it's time to go to Plan B yourself.

Plan B:  If you're not sure who's got the best climb, or if it's close, roll and pull a bit somewhere in your loop.  Not a flat turn, just roll to a different direction and continue the immel.  You get your best roll efficiency when you're going straight up or straight down, but often this is where the other guy can see you best, so sometimes it's preferrable to do it at the top (rarely at the bottom, where you're going too fast).  The object of the turn is to make him lose sight of you, or to make him pull too tight so that he loses his climb rate advantage, or both.

If he loses sight of you (hey, it worked!) (and you can tell because he won't follow you), use the opportunity to position yourself so that you can start to chase him.  BE VERY CAREFUL not to get greedy and pull too hard, because that will waste your own climb rate, and you'll be back where you started.

If he doesn't lose sight of you, it's probably time to roll out of the immel and watch what he does.  As always, don't pull too hard, you'll need all the energy you can get when he comes down after you.

Once this happens, you're in a rolling scissors situation, where you have the first clue on what's up.  That's another discussion - check Badboy's old thread about rolling scissors.

- oldman

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:57:35 PM »
Lets look at the components of a loop.  First half of a loop is an immelman (commonly ending with a roll to uninvert).  Second half of a loop is effectively a split-s (commonly begining with a roll to invert).  

So if you look at it that way, there are two maneuvers taking place with a loop.  A full loop is not an immelman, though it begins with an immelman.

If I understand you correctly, what you are talking about is a sustained loop fight where both are circling in the same direction.  

As with a sustained flat turn fight with the same situation, there is no easy way to answer this.  All depends on relative positions on the circles.  There are many strategies for gaining the advantage, but the positions within the circle, and the timing have to be right for them to work.

Here is one example
If you are on their side of the circle, you could angle off the bottom half of your loop.  This will lessen your speed gain on the down stroke, and give you a tighter turn radius, if you are still at a speed that could produce blackout G's while traveling through the bottom of the loop.  This also can also slightly offset your respective radius points.  

This (radius points) can be important because if neither plane model will out turn the other, and your radius points are pretty much the same, you could have the same pursuit mode indefinately.  Which sounds like what you are describing.   If your respective radius points are different.  You will watch your pursuit angle vary as you progress through different parts of the circle.  Now, if you have the advantage, you don't have to pull harder to get a lead.  At one part of the circle, you'll find yourself transitioning from lag or pure pursuit to lead pursuit.

That's one very specific example, so like ghosth and I said, it's not easy to answer because what helps in one specific situation may hurt in another situation.

Just happened to remember having another related example:
Originally posted by Murdr

Zellak wrote on 08-22-2006 01:58 AM:
Murdr,

This is going to sound really confusing, but here goes!

Now I understand the rolling scissors (hold before you go not this again hehe). Saying that I sometimes find myself in a loop to loop trying to gain the advantage (it actually just kind of happens sometimes) and I end up trying to pull down to the enemies rear when I'm at the top of the loop. Usually I'm trying to cut the corner a bit so im pulling down and diagnol to get behind him. I guess that would mean that he is closer to my tail then I am to his. Any way what is the goal here, and how do I turn this into a rolling scissors or back to something I understand (or is this a good situation to be in, i fly the ko-84). I know you know your stuff from watching your videos.. I surely hope that you understand this!

I do understand the situation you're talking about.  Before I say what I try to do with that situation, I need to back up and lay some ground work for it.

Often times in a dogfight, you are either conciously, or unconciously trying to predict where the arc of the other guys turn will take them a few seconds ahead of time.  One of the easiest 'best turn arc' to predict is comming down out of the vertical.  By that I mean predicting either a stall 'over the top' to recovering level flight, or converting from a vertical dive to level flight.  Either way, the bottom apex of the turn is going to be the altitude that the other plane will achieve level flight.

So any time I am fighting in the vertical, and I am either lower to begin with, or happen to be starting the upsweep of my loop while the other guy is in his downsweep, I am trying to judge what altitude they can recover level flight in relation to me.  The reason is that anywhere above that arc is a safe zone from their guns.

I made these visual aids for defending rope situations, but the basic premiss is true in any vertical fight.

In this picture I just made it inside the 'safe zone'.  Where our trails intercect, I was just above his arc as he passed behind me.  His dive speed carried him on by as my own speed neared stall.  Hence what we are talking about is an overshoot maneuver.

The same idea can be employed in a looping fight.  If the opponent has the advantage in angles, and trys to push the issue, and 'cut the corner' as you put it, to get a shot comming through the bottom part of the loop.  What you can do is forget maneuvering your nose to them for a moment, and concentrate on maneuvering to, and hanging out in the 'safe zone' until they are crossing under you.  What you are doing is initating a vertical scissors.  Since you are going up, and they are going down, they will have more speed, and overshoot underneath you.  All you have to do is reverse to shoot them on their upsweep.

Even though I employ this often in loop fights, I can't think of a film off hand with a slow speed fight (would probably have to comb through films to find it).  Here is a film with 2 bnz examples though. evarev3a   I don't know if you can easlily picture this in a slow speed loop fight, but as I mentioned, I am always looking to create the positioning for this any time I am lower that the other guy.  If you look at chknoris I still have this concept in my decisions on the fly.  I get the P51 to overshoot, take a half hearted shot at it.  Then I manuever under the spit16 just inside his downward arc believing the bottom apex of his turn will be in the trees if not below ground level.

Anyway, give it a try.  If you see a 'safe zone' in a vertical fight, try to get there, and have them overshoot below you for a vertical scissors.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:24:37 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
I have recently gotten into several situations where I immelmen and so does my adversary (same direction) .  We end up going in circles until someone decides to try something else.  I loop and loop and loop and never seem to get a gun solution.  I feel like a dog chasing my tail...  

You're not actually in an Immleman as Murdr pointed out.  You are in a looping fight.  If you pulled up then rolled level at the top you'd have performed an Immleman.

From what you describe it sounds as though you're in matched planes.  If not then one of you is almost assuredly going to gain the advantage even though it may take a while.

If I'm in a plane that will do this endlessly with no other enemys around I'll usually continue it, waiting for the other guy to get bored and break off.  If/when he does I immediately pursue in firing range on his six.

If I'm the one getting bored or running low on fuel or whatever, I'll normally try to take the loop to ~45 degrees rather than purely vertical.  Many planes perform better or worse at 45 degrees or in a flat turn than they do in a loop, so as I transition the fight from vertical to horizontal I'm judging whether or not I'm gaining or losing position.  If I'm gaining I'll take it all the way into a flat turn hoping to gain the advantage sooner.  If I'm losing I'll usually try a wing-over reversal at the top to see if my opponent can maintain position and angles.  This, of course, depends on what plane I'm in as some perform the wing-over better than others.

Another option depending on plane match-up is to level at the bottom and transition to either a flat scissors or a barrel-roll defense transitioning to a rolling scissors.

The point is, no matter what happens, I've take control of the fight and my opponent is now marching to my tune.  Once that happens then I can exploit his weaknesses and use my strengths to finish him off.

Hope that helps.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:47:47 PM »
Yup, all are correct, I am loop fighting.  Sorry for the confusion.  (remember, I am still a n00b).  Yes, usually the issue comes in like or identical planes...

Thanks for all the comments.  I now have some ideas I can take with me.  

To further the discussion, If I am chasing in the loop, are there any suggested throttle management tips to get ahead of the curve anyone can share (off at the top, on half way down etc)?  What about if I am the one on the "bad" side of the loop fight?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »
I'll make one comment on throttle management in this situation.  You might try backing off throttle on the downside to limit blackout and increase turn rate at the bottom but only if you're in a plane that can loop endlessly and has good accelration.  You'll have to throttle back up on the final downslope to re-gain speed to get over the top again and the danger is stalling at the top and making yourself a flailing duck.  If you can avoid the stall at the top you'll tighten the turn up there as well due to reduced speed.

The other danger to you though, is that even though you've tightened your turn inside your opponents, his higher speed may allow him to catch you in lag pursuit which will also make it more difficult for you to track him.

If you do begin to stall at the top however, then rolling in the direction of torque for a reversal might ultimatley give you an angles advantage.

This is getting the fight to slow down.  Some pilots are better at working the edge of a stall than others just as some are beter at working the edge of a blackout than others.  I personally love stall-fighting and take a lot of gratification out of winning one.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
CC on the ACM
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
Damndred, I couldn,t agree more, and you seem to have a point of view not prevailant in the MA these days.

In the real world planes and pilots cost money,..lol... and time,.. you dont squander that which is in short supply.

As for what to do after the merge, the only thing I can say is,... SURPRISE EM", I have basicly two moves in any type of plane, {BnZ,TandB}, either cut throttle and go for an emediate shot (dropping flaps/gear and trying to get a hi angle hit or two),Or extend ( verticaly, downward,spiral,or rope A dope e.t.c.)

As you become experienced your game will begin to sort itself out, you learn not to pull throttle in 190d9's, 47s, so much, or which planes can be turnd inside of at hi speeds...

K! so ,keep playin and ill see you round:aok
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 04:55:07 PM by stephen »
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Immelmen vs. Immelmen
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 09:18:50 PM »
all rubbish! just fly somethng with 4 cannons, head on shot them before the merge and no one has to do any loops.:cool:

some of my favortie duels start totaly different E states and not often from the standard head on merge.

the head on looping merge is only one step up from a flat turn head on merge, its always usefull to learn both dimensions completely and mix them every fight.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]