Author Topic: Saitek Cyborg 3D gets "lost"  (Read 611 times)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Saitek Cyborg 3D gets "lost"
« on: June 04, 2000, 03:18:00 PM »
I'm having a problem with AH and my new stick. It seems that it calibrates and tests ok under the Win98SE control panel. But as soon as I try to calibrate it in AH, the system seems to "lose" the joystick. Nothing comes up in the AH joystick graph, and back in the control panel, the same. I think it comes back when I restart, or unplug/re-plug the stick. Then, i'll get feedback from the AH joystick graph, but everything is way off center. I try to calibrate, and then the same thing happens again. Here are my system specs:
AMD Athlon500
Epox EP-7KXA 5/10/200 BIOS
On-board audio
DX7.0a (reinstalled after installing the stick)
Win98SE
CL TNT1

I've done a search here for problems with the cyborg 3d and any solutions, but they didn't seem to help. I'm sure someone else has gotten this to work... help?

mauser

P.S. forgot to mention I already installed the newest Saitek SGE.

------------------
The Fighting Meese
        &
Provisional BVD - Bishopsverteidigung

[This message has been edited by mauser (edited 06-04-2000).]

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2000, 08:13:00 PM »
Is there a switch on the bottom of the stick?  It should be set on digital not analog.

Hope that helps.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2000, 03:53:00 AM »
Thanks for replying, 1776. Unfortunately, there isn't a digital/analog switch for the cyborg. I'm not having any luck on my own right now. I installed the drivers that were on the saitek website, the one that mentioned it fixes the left drift in some games. I still have the same problem though. I also tried it in Fighter squadron, screaming demons and the same thing happens. The stick works great for a short while, and then suddenly no response. So I know it's not an AH only problem at least.

mauser

------------------
The Fighting Meese
        &
Provisional BVD - Bishopsverteidigung

[This message has been edited by mauser (edited 06-05-2000).]

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2000, 04:19:00 AM »
Hi Mauser
I have the same stick and had similar problems but there a a lot of variables so :-

Is it a USB or gameport version?
Is your onboard sound a Creative chipset?
Is your Motherboard Via chipset?
Sparks

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2000, 08:51:00 AM »
Also you will need Windoze98se and DirectX 7a to use SGE software.

Opps, I see you already have it

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 06-05-2000).]

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »
Sparks,

Yes, it's the USB version of the cyborg. The motherboard has the VIA KX-133 chipset, though I'm not sure what the onboard sound is. I'm sure it isn't a creative chipset though.

mauser

[This message has been edited by mauser (edited 06-05-2000).]

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
Do you also have MS's Sidewinder FF USB wheel? I've found that the two will not coexist: you must unplug the wheel for the stick to work (re-ordering in Control Panel does not work).

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2000, 10:44:00 PM »
Hi qts,
I have my old CH FSPro still connected to the gameport, but I have disabled the gameport in my motherboard's BIOS. Otherwise, that's all I have as far as controllers go. I guess I'll have to fly today with my old stuff.. Thanks for your reply though, I appreciate any help I can get  

mauser

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2000, 03:45:00 AM »
Hi Mauser,
OK - I have a usb stick as well - had to swap it from a gameport version because Saitek advised me that the Cyborg will not co-exist reliably with a creative card (hence the soundcard chipset question).
So next suspect would be the USB - I originally tried my USB stick on a Super Socket 7 board running a VIA chipset but I had problems with the USB just dying. I had a mouse and the stick using the USB and it would occasionally die just in windows but was much more prone when a game started - Air Warrior would never work but AH would work for a while. Symptom was that everything would calibrate and set up OK then shortly after the stick and mouse would just stop working. Hot re-plug would not get either device working - only a reboot.
Research put me onto this site - http://www.usbman.com/  which showed me that VIA has problems with the implementation of USB and the site has lots of good info and latest drivers. I suggest you have a good look there to see what you can find - be sure to check the message boards as there is lots in there and you can search for your chipset to find similar messages. The reccomendation for a full time fix was to get a PCI plugin card and not use the on-board (Or get an INTEL chipset motherboard which I ended up doing - bit drastic though).
See what you find though - hope it helps - mail me if you need more help.
Sparks

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2000, 03:45:00 AM »
Sparks,

Thanks for the link.. I looked through the page a bit and founda usb patch for Win98SE for VIA chipped motherboards. Installed it, but it didn't work  . I really hope I don't have to buy a dedicated card for usb ports, it defeats some of the purpose of getting my new mb. But otherwise, I'd have to return the stick and stay with my old ch fs pro, which has some spiking problems, and doesn't let me  use the left hat. To look to the left in AH, I have to shove the stick forward for some reason, and it doesn't help a bit when cons are around  
Back to the cyborg, windows loses the stick after a few minutes in my only 2 sims installed, AH, and FighterSquadron. When it loses the stick, it seems that no inputs are picked up. Even in the Win control panel, joystick calibration area, I get nothing. I have to pull out and plug back in the stick, hit refresh there and then go back into AH. But the process repeats itself until I lose my patience.

mauser

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2000, 05:27:00 AM »
Hi Mauser
Hmmm - was worried that might be the case - I had huge problems with my VIA board. What I would say is don't get too disheartened by the prospect of buying a add-in board as I think that they are only about $30 for a decent one - again check that site for info - I think they reccommend a Lucent chipset card.
One thought - have you checked that you have the 1.08 USB filter driver installed?

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2000, 03:55:00 PM »
I just remembered something peculiar in Windows that might be causing this.  There is a bug in the windows joystick setup that loses settings if you try to test your stick before closing out the window.  So in order to make it stick, you need to setup and calibrate your joystick and then close it out.  If you try to test it before closing, it will screw up the settings.  Could that be the culprit?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2000, 05:39:00 PM »
Hi Pyro,

I think I remember closing the window, but I'll check it out tonight to make sure. I'm gonna try out that usb filter driver again also. I asked Sparks to send it to me because the zip file on the VIA website seems to have errors. I really hope I won't have to return the stick, or get a separate USB card. Thanks so much for your help so far Pyro. I wasn't sure you could respond to me while you were online the other day since you were being barraged with questions, but I was really glad you did  

mauser

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2000, 03:43:00 AM »
Well, after downloading the usb filter driver again from another site, I still had no luck, so I dropped on by at the CompUSA here and bought an SIIG 2-port usb card. Well, now everything works, so I guess the board or the chipset is at fault. Haven't heard of anyone else having trouble though.. go figure. Anyway, my stick spiking troubles are over for now, and now I can actually use the rudder when I fly. Getting the 190's nose around is a little easier now.. duh! Thanks all who helped me.. Pyro, Sparks, qts, 1776!

mauser

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2000, 05:48:00 AM »
Glad you got it sorted Mauser. I know it's a pain but I think you have the best solution now. Bad thing is there's another one to shoot me down now  .
Cya up.
Sparks