Author Topic: JoyStick trouble  (Read 401 times)

Offline woody543

• Zinc Member
JoyStick trouble
« on: July 05, 2001, 05:20:00 PM »
I recently got a new system.  With the new system, new problems.  My Joystick(MS SW FF Pro) isn't responding correctly.  Sometimes when I hit my hat views they are slow to respond and sometimes stick in a side or rear view.  If I hit the <esc> key it will go back to forward and work a little.  It gets really bad when I am in a fight and bank left or right and can't get the plane to follow stick instructions to correct or reverse the bank.  There are times when I  have dove into the water or ground because the stick won't respond.  BTW, I know this isn't compression.  I don't have to be going that fast.  It also effects the setting of my head possitions.  When I use the left or right arrow key it seems to hang and when I use the hat key it keeps trying to more my head left or right, depending on which I used last.
I love AH, but this is about to drive me crazy.  Any ideas???????

PIII 1Gig.
DFI  CA64-EC mainboard  VIA chipset
Geforce2 MX  32mb vid.  Det.12.41 drivers
SoundBlaster PCI 128 sound card  Latest drivers (I forgot the #'s)
Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro j/s (same trouble whether I use the 3.02 Profiler or not)
DX 8.0a

Offline ROOSTER3

• Zinc Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2001, 08:48:00 PM »
By no means am I A pro at this but I have been reading alot of forums in the past few weeks  and it seems alot of people have problems with MS J/S.. just A note on that one.. But any ways have you tried recalibrating your J/S through AH and through MS and if your problem is lag maybe you could increase your memory.. what is your "FR" now???... And have you installed DIRECTX8???...

Offline woody543

• Zinc Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2001, 12:15:00 AM »
But any ways have you tried recalibrating your J/S through AH and through MS and if your problem is lag maybe you could increase your memory.. what is your "FR" now???... And have you installed DIRECTX8???...

I have recalibrated, set several different deadbands and everything I can think of in AH as well as MS.  My net status looks great and don't seem to have trouble there.  I have 128mb memory with 32mb vid.mem.  FR's been running between 50-60 and yes, I have DX8.  I didn't have these problems on my old AMD400 with 64mg and 32mg vid card.  I think I have either got a conflict(which I haven't found or something about AH, SBPCI128 and stick that needs a setting change that I don't know of.

I have also wondered about heat problems, but would think that would affect something besides my stick.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2001, 02:39:00 AM »
Are you using the USB connection, or the gameport?

If you are using the gameport, try going to the properties for your gameport in device manager and toggling the "poll with interrupts" setting.

That may help.

If it's with the usb, perhaps going to www.viahardware.com  and downloading and installing the VIA USB Filter driver will help.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2001, 02:40:00 AM »
OH, one more thing, if that doesn't do it, we should make sure that your soundcard (and/or gameport) isn't sharing an interrupt with anything else.  Go start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> system information -> click the "IRQ" item on the list and copy and paste it here.

Offline woody543

• Zinc Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
Hiya Bloom,

I am using the standard gameport to use the stick.  The "poll with interupts" switch is enabled.  Below are the list of "conflicts/sharing" from the System Information.

IRQ 3   Intel HaM Data Fax Voice
IRQ 3   VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 3   VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 3   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 5   Creative Sound Blaster PCI128
IRQ 5   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11   NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
IRQ 11   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 14   Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14   VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 15   Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15   VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

I see that ACPI thingy is hooked up with several things.  I'm going to check my bios and see what happens when I turn that off.  Other than that, I'm lost.  Thanks for any help you might have to offer.

Woody

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
Try unchecking poll with interrupts.

Offline woody543

• Zinc Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2001, 01:56:00 AM »
I did.  If I fly without "poll with interupts" enabled I don't have force feedback and very little pressure on stick.  Usually can't fly very well this way cause stick is just too mushy and doen't center very well(I hate the feel).  I don't seem to have the sticking problems then though.  Please don't tell me I'm gonna hafta learn to fly that way  :confused:

I've changed everything pretty much back to normal and it wasn't as bad this evening when I flew.  It always seems to be at it's worst when I'm in real serious situations(on the deck with lotsa other planes buzzing around me)   I'm usually too bzy to check to see what my FR is doing about that time and not even too sure how related it might be.

Also, today when I tried to check the properties on my stick it told me that the stick wasn't plugged in when it was.  According to the little light on the stick everything should have been fine, but for some reason the computer didn't see it that way.  I rebooted a couple of times and it worked fine and allowed me in to calibrate and check the other stuff.  Again, I'm not sure how related this might be.

Any new ideas?

Woody

Offline Nethawk

• Zinc Member
JoyStick trouble
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm not going to go back through the information, but I read several posts just last week on MS joysticks and SBLive gameports.  Evidently there is a Microsoft fix, and it may be appropriate for you to read through these problems and see if they fit.

Go to www.dejanews.com  (yes, its owned by Google now, and totally screwed up, but it is still a worthwhile resource)  and search.  The search words I used were "sblive" and "not connected", and though I was researching another problem there were tons of links for MS joysticks.

Hope you find the answer.