Author Topic: Chairboy's next chair toy?  (Read 218 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Chairboy's next chair toy?
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
You should build this!
http://www.velocityaircraft.com/

Swa-eeeeeeet!

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »
He hasn't even put an update on his current project since April of 06. Dunno if he'll be swinging that around the sky anytime soon =P

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
My high school band teacher owned a Velocity.  I never saw it fly, but he showed it to us in the hangar once.  Pretty sweet airplane.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »
Velocities are big inside, and pretty, but pretty expensive to run.  They go slower on more horsepower (almost twice the fuel burn, yikes), not a great combo.  Of course, sometimes an SUV is the answer, heh.

I'll get back to updating the page, bleargh.  I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me use our dining table for fiberglass layups.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:09:33 PM »
Chair,

If you spill any of the resin you'll never get the smell out of the house...... The fumes will be rather intense to be used inside a residence. You'd be better off making a shed / woprkshop.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
It's cooooold here, it'd have to be insulated.  The garage works fine much of the year, just during winter, it won't do it.  Lots of tarps and plastic sheets are in my future.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 12:40:37 PM »
It's been decades since I've done any work with fiberglass but it seems I recall the fumes from mixing in the hardener were too much for inside a home. You should just wait for spring.

What Maverick said.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
I use MGS-285, very low fumes.  It's the closest to a friendly epoxy you can get, plus it has a nice and high Tg.