Author Topic: Old system, new vid card?  (Read 561 times)

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
Old system, new vid card?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Roscoroo

I'm hoping you were addressing my problem.

Here's a shot of the running processes. Before AH, I try to shut down the ones listed as "John".  There are a few that return immediately.

Are there others I should be closing?

This systems really chugs around a bomber flight and trees as well. I've had to really reduce the sliders.

Tell me about preloaded textures; I believe I have that checked and it is downloading. Should I stop that?

I can run hijack this and post a shot of that if it would help.

Thanks!

The google toolbar you can Kill from the list and also that hsdx.exe is not a System Process and is not vital to running your computer so you can also Kill that process, Other than that it all looks normal at what should be running. Also a  Hijack this Log never Hurts to take a look at to see if theres any hidden processes running in the background that are not supposed to be there.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I ended up switching to a PCIe motherboard instead.

I had to do that too :(  Made me so mad.  I switched back when the 7800 series just came out, the only AGP "high end" card was the ATI x850 series...it was back when there was a severe AGP drought.

Now AGP cards are seemingly falling from the heavens...  I liked my old motherboard better too.  :cry
P-47 pilot

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »
is hsdx.exe   "Hypersnap " ???   its a screen shot program i think .

thats the only one thats questionable on your process list .

i would run hijack this and run the open process manager to dbl check for hiddens ... but besides that it looks clean.

you dont need the google toolbar ... it comes in firefox built in
as its own nav search bar .  but i suspect you have it installed in IE thats why its in the list.

the list is pritty clean other wise .(cleaner then mine ..ive got my av , printer,and dvd burner on my processes)

you could upgrade the card ..

Another question is What type of monitor are you running ??? It maybe thats what causing the excessively low frame rates.  (some crts / lcds need drivers installed to work correctly )
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I close the hypersnap and all the other "John" items that will close before I log in to AH.

Monitor is a NEC MultiSync E1100+; big sucker but old. I picked it up used for ~$200 a few years back. I think it's 21". Takes up a lot of desk.

Is preloading textures in AH a good or bad idea? What about the downloaded skins? Use them or skip them?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Toad

Monitor is a NEC MultiSync E1100+; big sucker but old. I picked it up used for ~$200 a few years back. I think it's 21". Takes up a lot of desk.

Is preloading textures in AH a good or bad idea? What about the downloaded skins? Use them or skip them?

check nec for drivers if the available  my huge 22in crt at work runs 10 times better with the drivers added vs the plug n play  ones.

as for preload textures mine are off ,,,   skins are on ...

what screen resolution are you at and the refresh hz ??  

i ve got a spare 21in crt here at home i could plug in and do a comparison test just to see how much hit my fps takes .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 09:31:51 AM »
I d/l'd NEC 1100+ drivers from NEC and went through the install procedure but my "wizard" felt that the drivers in that folder were not better than what it was using so it would only keep the MS drivers.

Any tricks to this? Do I have to uninstall the monitor and reinstall to use the NEC ones? Or are they the same?

I'm 1024x768 on the desktop and 85 on the refresh.

The game is also set at
1024x768
512 on the max textures
preload is on right now but I'll try it off
Hardware vertex is checked
Optimize objects is checked
Optimize terrain is checked
Max frames is set at 60
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:38:07 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 09:39:43 AM »
Hi Toad,

This program (FSAutoStart) will shut down all the progams & services you don't need to run AH, then start AH automatically. When you quit AH, it will restart everything. Mouse over the running programs/services and it will give you a recommendation of what to do for each. If you want it, right click and save this link: Link

I've got an ATI 9800 Pro you can have. I ran it with the exact same processor you have, getting a solid 40+ fps in furballs at 1280 x 1024 resolution, 75 Mhz on a 21" monitor. I limited fps in game to 60. There aren't any "drivers" for monitors. It's just an .ini file that sets monitor name, and the resolution and appropriate maximum refresh rate for each resolution. If you want the card, shoot me a PM.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
up your max frames in game.

yes the ms drivers / ini  is fine then .
Roscoroo ,

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 03:25:14 PM »
I tried the 512 texures , lower frame rates :(  

It did say that anything  but the "default" would be lower , as 1024 is my "default" then that made sense . I wonder why it's that high for "default" ???

I tried the game in 1600 by 1200 with the pc set to best proformance and it really looked pretty :) flew ok till more than a few showed up at a base we were trying to take :( I then reset it back to 1024 by 768 and left the pc at best proformance . Works fine no stutters at all .

I do find that FS 2004 works a bit better than with my old card IMO . I do see the delay in bringing up differant stuff and view as I did before . That's a good thing .

I am thinking that AH used cpu more than video , unlike FS 2004 ?
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
Originally posted by airspro
I tried the 512 texures , lower frame rates :(  

It did say that anything  but the "default" would be lower , as 1024 is my "default" then that made sense . I wonder why it's that high for "default" ???

I tried the game in 1600 by 1200 with the pc set to best proformance and it really looked pretty :) flew ok till more than a few showed up at a base we were trying to take :( I then reset it back to 1024 by 768 and left the pc at best proformance . Works fine no stutters at all .

I do find that FS 2004 works a bit better than with my old card IMO . I do see the delay in bringing up differant stuff and view as I did before . That's a good thing .

I am thinking that AH used cpu more than video , unlike FS 2004 ?

If you were at default, the default texture resolution size is 256. You mentioned you were at 1024 (but this might have been your screen size, not your texture size). If going to 512 made your FPS go down, chances are you were still using 256. If you don't like the rates with 512 textures, go to 256 or the lowest (128) to gain more performance.

This is the "Video settings" option on the main game menu, before you go online. This is the drop-down box that only has "128, 256, 512, 1024" in it. This is not the screen resolution.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:49:49 PM by Kermit de frog »
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »
It keeps showing 1024 for "default" texture size .

Wonder what file to delete to restart it all again . Tried the video8 one and that wasn't it .
My current Ace's High handle is spro