Author Topic: Unhealthy Environment?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:58:18 AM »
Before posting this, I did a coupla searches on this topic, and found none.

I've seen this phrase being thrown around...But, It would be nice to hear what kind of things actually constituted "Slum Behaviour" and an "Unhealthy environment".

Thank you in advance for replies, It helps bring everyone up to speed on this subject.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:16:07 AM »
Is "Slum Behavior" anything like vulching?
"strafing"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:19:17 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
"Slum Behavior" - taking all of TT bases!

:aok :D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:44:14 AM »
i never felt unhealthy in the old ma!!

i must have been delusional.

but now i guess i would hafta say i feel----------

used.

feelin like a ho,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline KINGcobra

• Zinc Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »
"slum behavior" when i hear that work i think of bombing dweebs killing TT's vh's killing gv's is fune'they will pop back up but bombing TT is as low as u can get besides taking TT bases like skyrock said.Every time i hear bombs near my tiger i start FREEKING OUT MAN :O

all

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:20:06 AM »
you can take the people out of the slum

but you can,t take the slum out of people!!!!

still hangin in da hood,

Boner:cool:

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »
I think some of the Slum behavior has to do with the "griefing", hordes, bombing TT and FT, just all those stupiud things that were done to tick people off. Yes we still have that to some extent, but old habits are hard to break !

A couple years ago the arenas had more "tactical" minded players. some squads ran missions, some squads did fighter sweeps ( real sweeps, not just lurking over a base vulching). There were country leaders that put up missions and got groups of people to work together for a goal weather it was defence ( porking troops along a whole front to slow a "winning the war" type run) or attack to push the front back. There was any type of fight you wanted. Ground attacks, missions, even the "loner" type could find small furballs to play in.

All that changed when the "Mega-Hordes" showed up. Instead of working a base with a plan, they would just roll in with huge number supiriority and crush the opposition. Trying to defend against the horde wasn't much fun so the defenders would move to "greener pastures" which is what brought the fights where all you see are 3 hordes. one from each county, attacking the next countries undefended flank.

HTC is working to bring back the "old days" style of play. Limiting the numbers in the arenas helps kill the hordes. The new capture system (needing 40% of BOTH opposing countries bases for a win) forces the "two front war" back into the game. Its going to be slow going till the communitty gets its collective heads out of their butts and gets with the program. Too many still have that "gang" mentallity and just keep making runs to a base in a conga line trying to keep up with each other in stead of joining up and going in with a group with a plan....IE you hit this, I hit this then this happens and so on.

Last night it looked like the Knights had it going pretty good against the rooks. They snuck in and grabbed a base on the shore a couple sectors back from the front line. This forced the rooks into a 3 front war spreading the numbers out a bit. It took most of the night and the rooks lost 3 bases and a CV before things started to turn around for the rooks. There were a couple of big fights, but un like the old "horde style" play the battles had 20-30 guys on EACH side fighting it out. Sure the rooks were not very organised in this and were running in to the fight in a conga line type attack, but the sides were fairly even and it was a good fight all around.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »
A little game of connect the dots.

Pay attention to the dates please ;)

Below was posted on 1/26/2007

Originally posted by hitech

We now commonly cross 820 people online, and we are continuing to grow at a rapid pace. How do you see 1000 ,2000,5000 people in 1 arena playing let alone the tech problems in doing that.

Since we have made the split arena, every piece of data has been better.

# of deletes per month has been down.
# of new accounts has been up
% of players converting from free accounts to paying is substantial up.
average number of hours player per person is up.

So the answer to your question did the arena split work, I can absolutly state
it has worked exceeding well.

Below was posted BEFORE the above on 9/14/2006
Key words in blue.

Originally posted by pyro 9/14/2006

Why did you make this change?

We made this change because it will allow us to support an unlimited amount of players in a much healthier online environment that gives us better long-term growth. The single MA has grown to the point of being unhealthy. This is not a subjective evaluation, it is quantifiable and they are numbers that we look at every day. It is obvious that we simply cannot keep pumping more players into a single arena without hitting a stagnation point.[/color]

Why are you doing this now?

There is a convergence of factors such as current arena health, player mass, time of year and a couple of things in the pipeline that we believe will provide an influx of players. Taken together, we believe this is the best time to make this transition.

Key Words “time of year”

Finally:
Originally posted by pyro 9/14/2006

Is this being done for technical reasons?

No. While some people on lower end machines may see some performance benefit, it is not for technical reasons that the change is being made.

Originally posted by hitech  1/26/2007
1 question. And one statement.

We now commonly cross 820 people online, and we are continuing to grow at a rapid pace. How do you see 1000 ,2000,5000 people in 1 arena playing let alone the tech problems in doing that.

I think it is very obvious what the “Slum” phrase was meant to accomplish.
(Insert bug in ear)

However I think it has become obvious that the slums now occupy ALL of our arenas.

The KEY word here is “Saturation”
Basically we now have a lower percentile of slumage in each arena.

I used to live in Arizona as a young man. The house my Mom and Dad bought in 1975 was in the Sticks. (10 other houses within a 3- mile radius)

That same house is now surrounded by a 50-mile radius of housing developments that have no vacant lots! That house in now surrounded by shopping centers and of the like. It is basically in the city now

As a result the gang types have sprawled to within a few miles of our old house, which was about 20 miles north of Down Town Phoenix where the gangs originally resided.

Can we eliminate the slums?
Not without eliminating subscriptions.

Can we manage them to an acceptable level?
Yes, by giving them room to grow. (Urban Sprawl) :D

So: the phrase "Slum environment" is a built in (blame ourselves) tool.

While "Healthy Environment" refers to subscribing customers. ;)

I am evil! :t
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:44:21 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
I think some of the Slum behavior has to do with the "griefing", hordes, bombing TT and FT, just all those stupiud things that were done to tick people off. Yes we still have that to some extent, but old habits are hard to break !

A couple years ago the arenas had more "tactical" minded players. some squads ran missions, some squads did fighter sweeps ( real sweeps, not just lurking over a base vulching). There were country leaders that put up missions and got groups of people to work together for a goal weather it was defence ( porking troops along a whole front to slow a "winning the war" type run) or attack to push the front back. There was any type of fight you wanted. Ground attacks, missions, even the "loner" type could find small furballs to play in.

All that changed when the "Mega-Hordes" showed up. Instead of working a base with a plan, they would just roll in with huge number supiriority and crush the opposition. Trying to defend against the horde wasn't much fun so the defenders would move to "greener pastures" which is what brought the fights where all you see are 3 hordes. one from each county, attacking the next countries undefended flank.

HTC is working to bring back the "old days" style of play. Limiting the numbers in the arenas helps kill the hordes. The new capture system (needing 40% of BOTH opposing countries bases for a win) forces the "two front war" back into the game. Its going to be slow going till the communitty gets its collective heads out of their butts and gets with the program. Too many still have that "gang" mentallity and just keep making runs to a base in a conga line trying to keep up with each other in stead of joining up and going in with a group with a plan....IE you hit this, I hit this then this happens and so on.

Last night it looked like the Knights had it going pretty good against the rooks. They snuck in and grabbed a base on the shore a couple sectors back from the front line. This forced the rooks into a 3 front war spreading the numbers out a bit. It took most of the night and the rooks lost 3 bases and a CV before things started to turn around for the rooks. There were a couple of big fights, but un like the old "horde style" play the battles had 20-30 guys on EACH side fighting it out. Sure the rooks were not very organised in this and were running in to the fight in a conga line type attack, but the sides were fairly even and it was a good fight all around.

so the difference between a "horde" with a plan and a "gang" with a plan
and "20 to 30 guys" with a plan is----??????????

the knights snuck in and took a undefended base?????

how unhealthy.

so with smaller maps , we have smaller hordes????

but they have a plan??

i see no difference in the way people are playing now, compared to the way people played in the old ma.

cept now the sides are ususally off balance.

all those who bomb and or take bases on tt or ft should be banished to the ew and mw arenas for a month!!!!

that will give the regulars in ew and mw some prime targets!!!!

nothing personal here fugitive

just some observations , that i,m sure are way off the mark on my part.

am i healthy yet doc???

Boner
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:45:39 AM by 1Boner »

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
Originally posted by 1Boner
am i healthy yet doc???

Boner

Not yet...but you do seem to be making a little progress. :D

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:00:31 AM »
None the adjectives, such as "unhealthy" made or make sense to me.  That is, when I tried/try to match up those descriptions with things as they were or are (we're healthier now?), I fail to comprehend, undersand, and/or "see" what the problem was and the evident superority of the "fix."

I'm obtuse.

All the Best,

hap

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Hap..."Health" isnt a refrence to our wellbeing. Its rather a refrence to the wealth..cough...to HTCs health.

And NO i am not complaining about that nor do i blame them.

Its really a matter of damage control on their part IMO.

They know it will always have the riffraff...But need to keep it managable as to not run anyone off.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 10:15:05 AM »
so the difference between a "horde" with a plan and a "gang" with a plan
and "20 to 30 guys" with a plan is----a horde is 30-50 guys attacking a base with only a few to defend it. There is no plan they just steam roll in and move on to the next base.  Now a days the "horde" is smaller and does not have such a number supiriority  that it can't be defend against.

the knights snuck in and took a undefended base?????

how unhealthy.not unhealthy at all. They made a plan and excicuted it. The rooks on the other hand were not paying attention and were surprised by the attack, and before they could mount a good defence the Knights had captured a number of bases. good clean fun.

so with smaller maps , we have smaller hordes????

but they have a plan??at this time, not always  :) Theres where the problem lies still. Collectively, the community must un learn the horde mentality and re-lean the tactical side with working together... well at least not going out of there way to spoil others fun by bombing TT or FT and such

i see no difference in the way people are playing now, compared to the way people played in the old ma.

cept now the sides are ususally off balance.when was the "old play" for you? Your BBS date is only a year ago so if that was when you started, ya you joined right in the middle of the slum building. I'm talking a 3-4 years ago when max in the MA was 250-300. Is they way we have it now much the same as a year ago? Id say yes, but with the changes made I also see it starting to change again. Like I said, its going to take some time till people get with the program.

all those who bomb and or take bases on tt or ft should be banished to the ew and mw arenas for a month!!!!

that will give the regulars in ew and mw some prime targets!!!!thats who is in the MW and EW already doing the milk running !!

nothing personal here fugitiveno problem. Like I said it will take time. The old days the player base was more WWII buffs looking to live the "glory days" of fighter combat, when ya had to get in close to kill. Now adays it has more of a "game" feel to it and a lot of kids who were brought up "playing to win" at all cost. To most of the new players its just anouter game, to the old timers its a dream they are trying to live even if it is is from behind a computer in stead of a dashboard of a cockpit.

just some observations , that i,m sure are way off the mark on my part.

am i healthy yet doc???

Boner
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:17:06 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 10:17:42 AM »

cept now the sides are ususally off balance.

Boner

Speaking from the nit view , are you nuts?

In the old ma can count on one hand the number of times nits had numbers. ( During my time of play)

As to the multi MAs, its starting to work.
I pop back and forth between LWMAs.  Lately in blue I have heard more than a few "GD ENY. Thats it jumping sides." or "This eny sucks going orange".

IMHO HT need to crank the eny a bit more to get that affect sooner.

Flame away.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »
Love your sig, Bronk.