Author Topic: Unhealthy Environment?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Yes. Once he hits a consistent 3500 logged in at a time, he'll upgrade from his own RV-8 to his own P-51D.:t

I'd call that a major upgrade.

lol, and why not!  With the cannon package, I might add!:D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
Well...thats the clincher in nearly every case isn't it?

My dads cancer was "treatable"
He died a year later.

So the question is, is it treatable?
The answer is much different depending on which side of the fence you are on.

BTW..this is fun Dialouge. ;)

I in no way blame the Doctors/Medical field for my Dads death.

Neither would he.

But I bet they are glad they talked him into the treatment.

I know my Mother regrets it now.

BTW this is bordering getting way off topic and silly...Better end it now..

NB..was interesting.

My Mother-in-Law spent 10 years in and out of excruciating chemo-therapy for colon cancer. At the end of those 10 years, she died.

When her youngest son was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas he told the doctors to take their treatment and shove it! He lived another,  

10 years!

If I ever get that news I know what My choice will be.

[end hijack]

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Drooling on self
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Not really Mustaine, we can just add more servers. And in the overall view of things servers are cheep. Only design limitation we have is a max of around 1000 per arena.

WOOOHOOO

HUGE MAPS [/color][/size]
:aok :aok :aok :D :D :D :aok :aok :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Yes. Once he hits a consistent 3500 logged in at a time, he'll upgrade from his own RV-8 to his own P-51D.:t

I'd call that a major upgrade.

I would never upgraide my RV to a p51d.
Now if we are talking a mans plane like the corsair thats a different story.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »
When ya gonna get a(n) AT-28, HTC? Seen 'em online for less than 200 g's...

NORTH AMERICAN T28B  $179,000  CA  

S/N: 137764, N2207Y, 14863 TT, 282 SMOH, 282 SPOH, APX-72 TXP & NAA ICS Interphone, Darton Clean Kit, Clev W&B  
C & J Sales
Phone: (800)828-3597
or (805)484-5840  Details & Photo(s)
Send a Message

Offline 0verlag

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
And a side note: had 954 players in the arenas at peek time last night.

HiTech

within totally unbalanced arenas

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »
Originally posted by 0verlag
within totally unbalanced arenas

and your point is ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline 0verlag

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
and your point is ?

you've seen it every night as well.... so dont put your head in the sand and pretend it isnt a issue.

during the day the sides are balanced within 10 people.... and the gameplay is great. this is when there is 1LW arena, and mostly all players are within this arena.

However by the evening, sides can be out by as much as 80-100 people IN BOTH SERVERS.  Add the numbers up cross the LW's and they are BALANCED.  The rolling cap system needs to work by country numbers, not arena population.

If orange has 200:120:120 (R:B:K) rooks should only be allowed to join Blue etc. Surely thats simple?

it is also "strange" that we now have <440ish people on small maps, yet this is apparently this is healthy, vs 750 people on large maps? So we have MORE numbers per mile that we did on large maps? 440+ players on a small map is unhealthy, and that is made worse by the totally uneven sides.

How is that ment to be fun?

I dont want 750player arenas back... I was generally gone by those times anyway (4-6am). I just would like the relatively balanced sides, of 500 players on large maps.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
you've seen it every night as well.... so dont put your head in the sand and pretend it isnt a issue.

during the day the sides are balanced within 10 people.... and the gameplay is great. this is when there is 1LW arena, and mostly all players are within this arena.

However by the evening, sides can be out by as much as 80-100 people IN BOTH SERVERS.  Add the numbers up cross the LW's and they are BALANCED.  The rolling cap system needs to work by country numbers, not arena population.

If orange has 200:120:120 (R:B:K) rooks should only be allowed to join Blue etc. Surely thats simple?

it is also "strange" that we now have <440ish people on small maps, yet this is apparently this is healthy, vs 750 people on large maps? So we have MORE numbers per mile that we did on large maps? 440+ players on a small map is unhealthy, and that is made worse by the totally uneven sides.

How is that ment to be fun?

I dont want 750player arenas back... I was generally gone by those times anyway (4-6am). I just would like the relatively balanced sides, of 500 players on large maps.

Just wanted to make sure what you point was before going any further.

Lots of us (including you) on this BBS have already been thru the grinder on this and what came of it ?

HT implemented many changes trying to address this issue which cause much frothing of the mouths and gnashing of teeth which, eventually, lead to a retraction of the changes.

Now this is not to say that he has abandoned these changes ... maybe he is still working on more eloquent versions that will be implemented in the future ... time will tell.

Since the withdrawl of the balancing/capture changes, the balancing of the arenas have been left up to us ... what a good job we have been doing on own own ... eh ?

Things are MORE lopsided than ever and those who join an arena on the more populated side or leave an arena to join the more populated side in another arena are the cause of the problems and it is they who continue to exacerbate and pick at the open wound.  

So we are back to where we were just a few weeks ago ... FUBAR.

So rather than your canned one-liner jabs, what solutions/ideas have you come up with within this time-frame of HT leaving us to our own on trying to balance arenas ?

... or

Are you asking HT to bring back the balancing code or implement some kind of new balancing schema ?

Cause from what I have seen ... we (the players) got part of what we wished for and FUBARed it up totally ... AGAIN.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2007, 03:47:59 PM »
While the "WdB" (Whine Decibels) rating matters, I realized not long ago that there's another important factor in balancing.

Too much balancing means stagnation.

Seriously, think about it. Despite the bias of some, there really isnt a significant difference between countries' skill levels. As for style -- every country has seemed to say "No one works together, we have nothing but furballers...etc, etc" when I've flown with them.

We can pretty much expect that from a statistical standpoint there's an essentially even distibution of talent, play style, and aggressiveness. If there were always equal numbers, the arenas wouldnt even BE reset!

With too little imbalance, the capture guys would be enormously frustrated. With too much imbalance, everyone EXCEPT the die-hard landgrabbers would be unhappy.

And I can't think of a simple side balancing system that wouldn't risk threatening the basic social structure of the game, the squad.

HT has a veeeerry fine line to walk.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2007, 03:56:31 PM »

Now if we are talking a mans plane like the corsair thats a different story.

WOOOOOOOOOT!   :aok :D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Unhealthy Environment?
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »

If I had written the above rather than Overlag, and apologies if I get it all wrong, I would be pointing out that for right now the institution of multiple arenas to create "healthy" gameplay isn't working if "healthy" equals balanced.  Which I don't know that it does.

1000 players on a map large enough to accomodate them sounds like something I'd like to experience.  

But I work in a grocery store, and have a long history of wanting to experience things which in hindsight were much better left alone.

All the Best,

hap

p.s. And since Slap Shot asked the question "well, what do you advise?"  I'll offer my worthless free advice:

1) one arena or multiple arenas with no caps.  let the customer decide where and when they want to play.

2) eny and perk multipliers to handicap the most numerous countries  

3) large maps a la Trinity and Big Isles with 8 interesting, visually eyepoping, quasi historical, maps that have airfield locations named after towns, cities, and hamlets over which WW2 was fought.

4) inclusion of the B29 with no nukes, He111, B25, and any other plane and ground vehicle of which it could be legitimately claimed had a "major/important" role in WW2

5) a vox system that would work intra-arena on demand but not default.

6) unlimited squelch system

7) weather fronts of 5 min duration or so making things interesing espcially in lieu of "uncapturable airfields"

8) porkable fuel

9) strat porking at the manufacuring level that is achievable if properly coordinated and executed.  Not a "theoretical" model that you never actually see.

Yup.  I guess that covers it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:14:53 PM by Hap »