Author Topic: Just an idea.. (game improvement)  (Read 475 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Just an idea.. (game improvement)
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:10:13 AM »
Seems to me the un-capable bases are causing some issues at certain points of the game and for certain areas of some maps (ie the TT issue).

Another problem is two of the teams ganging up on the third with no real incentive to stop doing so.

IMO both of these issues could be solved by using un-capable bases at set times in the game.  If the war is set to 90/40/40 then once team A captures say 50% of team B's bases then all of team B's bases should become un-capable to team A.

This would give no incentive for team A to continue to fight team B, which would then force team A too do two things. Team A would then have to then go fight team C if they wanted to take more bases and they would have to still defend their bases against team B.  

At that point it would give team B somewhat of a breather against team A if no more of their bases could be taken by team A. So at that point the losing team (B) could then either mount an attack against team C or give them a fighting chance against team A.

IMO this game is all about numbers, no certain team is any better than another, but the teams with the most players at any give time tend to be the team that is winning at that time.

So IMO this would take away the total domination of the smallest team at any given point, or at least if would give that team a fighting chance.

Just a thought, take it how you want. :)
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »
no one likes it? :rolleyes:
"strafing"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »
No input from HTC and 90% of the Community is needed.   It's the 10% that do crap like this in the first place, which "are the issue" here.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 09:05:48 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
No input from HTC and 90% of the Community is needed.   It's the 10% that do crap like this in the first place, which "are the issue" here.

I don't really under stand what you are saying?

Are you saying no input is needed for 90% of the community and saying 10% of them are a problem somehow?

Or

Are you saying 90% of the community think there is a problem yet no input from HTC?

Sorry but can you clarify what you are saying?
"strafing"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I see these suggestions to tweak this & fix this with varying levels of complexity popping up all the time.

In the end there's only one basic problem. The game was about aircraft fighting aircraft; that's what it was supposed to be and it isn't any more.

The more stuff we added that made no contribution to that goal merely screwed up the game.

So now we get these continuing threads with endless ideas to raise this, lower that, eny here, eny there, hardness, softness, capturable, uncapturable, ad infinitum.

This game was at it's best when field capture was a simple affair and non-stop fights raged all over the small map.

Just my .02, but you're not going to "fix" it now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Maybe it's just me but I see these suggestions to tweak this & fix this with varying levels of complexity popping up all the time.

In the end there's only one basic problem. The game was about aircraft fighting aircraft; that's what it was supposed to be and it isn't any more.

The more stuff we added that made no contribution to that goal merely screwed up the game.

So now we get these continuing threads with endless ideas to raise this, lower that, eny here, eny there, hardness, softness, capturable, uncapturable, ad infinitum.

This game was at it's best when field capture was a simple affair and non-stop fights raged all over the small map.

Yep.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:02:59 PM »

I agree with you in a sense..  I'm up for just all out dog fights and I do prefer doing that vs capping a base.

The thing is, if it's just nothing but dog fights what would the purpose of bombers play?  Would they just fly around and let the fighters shoot at them? Don't forget people that like to fly those things might enjoy having a purpose in the game other than target practice.

If it's only about dog fights the game would be little more than a ww2 flight sim version of quake.  I love the furballs but it gets old after awhile and it's nice to have another aspect of the game to play.

I mean if that's the case I'd just play microsoft combat flight sim or IL2. One of the nicer things about AH2 is the fact there is more to it than just dog fighting.
"strafing"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »
When bombers were first introduced about the only real role they had was taking down the ack at a field. There was a lot of ack but one single bomber(no formations available then) could make a couple of passes over a field and deack it from altitude. Or, using the oft-missed "teamwork concept" two buffs could de-ack a field in one pass.. usually. Field capture was simple and this was a simple step that aided that simple enterprise.

It promoted really fun squad missions for 5-8 guys; up a couple of buffs, a few fighters for cap and a goon or two and go get a field. Simple mission, simple teamwork, fair chance of success...all good fun. Did it uncountable times with 13th TAS.

But we had to make the fields harder, the buff bombsight was too simple and accurate, field capture was too easy, etc., etc., etc.... so we added a lot of extraneous cr*p.

What it led to, eventually, was the hordes. So now we suggest adding more cr*p to solve the horde problem.

It will never end.

Early on things were simple and those simple things promoted air combat. AIR COMBAT. It was great fun and it was non-stop fun.

Add all the extraneous cr*p you can think of but it will never lead back to great, non-stop fun.  We missed the chance when we "overthought" this whole process.

IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:47:16 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:00:45 PM »
When bombers were first introduced about the only real role they had was taking down the ack at a field. There was a lot of ack but one single bomber(no formations available then) could make a couple of passes over a field and deack it from altitude. Or, using the oft-missed "teamwork concept" two buffs could de-ack a field in one pass.. usually. Field capture was simple and this was a simple step that aided that simple enterprise.

It promoted really fun squad missions for 5-8 guys; up a couple of buffs, a few fighters for cap and a goon or two and go get a field. Simple mission, simple teamwork, fair chance of success...all good fun. Did it uncountable times with 13th TAS.

But we had to make the fields harder, the buff bombsight was too simple and accurate, field capture was too easy, etc., etc., etc.... so we added a lot of extraneous cr*p.

What it led to, eventually, was the hordes. So now we suggest adding more cr*p to solve the horde problem.

It will never end.

Early on things were simple and those simple things promoted air combat. AIR COMBAT. It was great fun and it was non-stop fun.

Add all the extraneous cr*p you can think of but it will never lead back to great, non-stop fun.  We missed the chance when we "overthought" this whole process.

IMHO.

AHI....awsome time

Toad..Remember VMF-222? I was in that...learned to bomb with that "Simple Bombsight". What a blast...2 guys in B-17's...Deack from about 5k. Have a few fighters in tow for that cap and drop troops over the base....

Then it was an all out war when someone would holler troops in the air and fighters began POURING out from everywhere to shoot the troops.

Or...Take up a LANC...LOADED ....drop from 20k...FH's...VH....dead. One pass. Then continue on to the next one. Drop a couple of bases FLAT to keep the effort behind ya alive.

Ahhhh.....Your post brings back days of being totally new and not knowing diddly. But man was it fun. :aok
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
AHI....awsome time

... But man was it fun. :aok

Of course I remember VMF-222.

You post makes the point.

We've added SO much.... but is it as continually fun as those early days?

I submit it is not. Nor will adding this or that  or complexifying this or that bring back the good times. Wel drowning in a sea of overcomplexity.