Author Topic: Veteran Arena...  (Read 1435 times)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »
Originally posted by storch
a man whose "wife would not allow him"?

Woman must be great in bed.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 09:58:11 PM »
I just returned to AH 3 days ago after leaving just 1 week after the split.

And i most definintly am seeing more noobish tactics than before.

Including my own :D

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 12:33:02 AM »
OK, lots of talk about HO's here so I've got to confess.

As a 10+ year vet I still HO regularily and I'm GOOD at it.  I've done it since I started but there weren't collisions then.  I read somewhere early on that you should if for no other reason than to give your opponent a scare.  

I'm also one of the very few players that set most of my gun convergences to 650 yards (good for both HO shots and bomber hunting and still deadly in close) and usually fly cannon equiped aircraft.

I'm just guessing but my success rate is close to 90% with 5% losses and 5% collision toss-ups.

The only time I won't take the shot is if it's a one on one merge with no other enemys nearby or if I can clearly see that my opponent is turning for the merge, not the HO.  Then I'll merge clean and fight.  If I'm in an outnumbered sector, in a furball or if it's after the merge I have no qualms about taking a HO shot, nor does it seem, do my opponents.

I tried for about 3-4 camps to do the valient thing, never taking a HO but 80% of all merges the other guy was firing at me.  Easy enough to avoid but annoying if your trying to be a gentleman and believe it or not you can almost always see it coming.

Now I still sometimes hold fire to see what the other guy will do but if he comes straight at me and opens up he's usually just signed his death warrent.  This seems to happen a few times a week and I almost always feel sorry if it's a noob who just doesn't know better (which it usually is).

Before you call me a talentless dweeb I'll fly anyone one on one.  I might not win but will hopefully give a good fight.

Let the flames begin.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 04:38:14 AM »
Veteran arena ?

Bigger Icons (30 point high)

Slower planes

Ear aid option in the sound configuration (add +50 DB ,shift frequency of any  teenager squealing voice)

New .incontinence or .preventleek dot command (pause the whole arena)

Hajo will be happy :)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »
:rofl

Straffo,

thats the best suggestion so far!

:D
21 is only half the truth.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »
Originally posted by Gumbeau
Anybody who cant avoid and turn the tables on a HO is a noob no matter how many years he has been flying.

For the record I have no issue with people HOing (well yes I do but it's the reality I have to adjust to) nor do I have any problem making the HOer pay for his lack of...."honor?" I generally regard it as a sign that this..pilot... will not turn after the merge, or will die quickly if he does turn. :D Then again, the new age of "veterans" do seem to take that shot and still give you a decent fight....but think how many great fights have been ruined before they started just because someone HOed you low and slow just after killing a couple of his countrymen. Now the holier than though crowd can say that's bad SA on my part. Maybe they'd be right. I should have upped an LA7, Spixteen, or P-fiftyrun and I could've just played the pick and run and not gotten HOed. :aok

Sorry this smacks of hijacking the thread 73.

Let's just teach the newbs how to fly and fight!! Then we can all kill in peace!

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
how about
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »
European Theater

Pacific Theater.

In these arenas only the planes from that part of the war could enter.

Not to mention only face off against planes from sides of the war?

Kinda like a Historical Arena.

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »
First off, it takes two pilots to be an ACTUAL head on pass. If one is trying to avoid the potential HO, it isnt a HO anymore.

So if you say someone shot you in a HO then you just admitted your 50% guilt in  creating the head on situation.

Now, if you are manuevering to avoid bandits who are flying Kodak style (point and shoot) then you are not participating in the HO and can fly with a clean conscience.

If you are maneuvering to avoid but are not successful 90% of the time then there are some basic flaws in your technique. Most of the time folks that want to maneuver away from the Instamatic Kamikaze but can't have depleted themselves to an energy state so low they no longer can successfully perform a guns defense maneuver.

That is a loss of situational awareness. Anytime you are below the energy state required for successful guns defense you better be within a few feet of the runway. Any other time you just screwed the pooch.

The most likely reason for draining energy down to this pitiful point is greed in pursuing a kill. For some reason most players feel they MUST kill each bandit they see. A much better rule is to engage from an advantage and disengage when the advantage is gone or your energy state is such that further BFM will result in an inability to perform guns defense.

Yanking and banking, bleeding energy like a madman and killing 3 of 4 bandits and letting the fourth fill your windshield with lead while you hang on to your last 2 knots of airspeed with the nose 45 degrees above the horizon doesn't mean you died in the dreaded HO. It means you hung yourself out to dry and number four was just taking in the laundry.

Offline -SR-

• Copper Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 02:09:08 PM »
Id rather have a jet arena. all jets ,all of the time.

But that is another post.

I think a vet arena would be interesting only if they limited the distance between bases so the fights could be more frequent and intense. Channel 200 would be busy with all of the wisdom and knowledge being exchanged at a blistering speed. I do believe the training arena could be promoted more as a easy way to be prepared for the fights. The new guy/gal just logs on and finds an arena and flies in it. I remember flying around for hours until I found out I was in a scenario arena by myself. I got into another arena and destroyed several cartoon planes while  trying to figure out the control them. I was too proud(stupid) to ask for help. I then spent hours shooting down natedog and other names on planes circling the airfield in the offline training area.

-SR-:noid   <----(some say needs a vet)

Offline VERTEX

• Copper Member
Veteran Arena...
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
We dont need a veterans arena we need an 0ver 30 years old arena.