Author Topic: an intersting interlude.......  (Read 808 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
an intersting interlude.......
« on: January 30, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »
I rolled a 109E in the EWA a bit earlier. Got bounced on take off in an arena with 15 people. Obviously this made no sense to me and when I inquired I was informed what a punk/noob I was. Now I will be candid that my inquiry was phrased in somewhat colorful terms, but i did get a chuckle....especially when told that I had interfered with there capture and that I was obviously a skillless wonder.

Now normally I simply move on but the individual in question is of marginal skill and limitless ego so I offered to duel him for a 6 month subsrciption (and no I dont want a hundred guys lining up to take my money). Now a 3rd entity chimed in and some additional back and forth ensued. I gladly offered a few rounds in the DA or TA and was denied...but eventually we went to the TA and then the DA.

I found the individual in question to not only be a nice guy, but also to have a pretty well grounded set of fundementals. Ready for prime time, hardly...but a nice guy, reasonably skilled and open to learning. I think it goes back to alot of the arguements on how much us "vets" are willing to give back. I've extended the gentleman in question an invitation to fly with me in the Ma and/or work with him in the TA/DA...ought to take him at least a week to catch up to me:).......

hope he takes me up on it. If your moaing and whinning about gameplay....do something about it....one guy at a time.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 03:59:41 AM »
I had a similar experience not very long ago. Hopped in EWA and asked "where the fight was" on all channel. I got an answer, we agreed on planes and off I was..... we ended up having an enjoyable hour in the TA later, and I hope I could pass on a few of my "tricks".

Very good post humble.

Now.... about this 6 months sub....... would tomorrow evening be good? :D
21 is only half the truth.

Offline VVV

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/waroftheworldsfan
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:25:48 AM »
Nice post humble.
Hope he goes through with the training :aok
Now flying as FalconAM.

~~~The Unforgiven~~~

VAW-116 "Sunkings"

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »
wtg snap, great job :)

the story sounds fairly familiar to me :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:48:28 AM »
Well said sir!  

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
I had a similar experience not very long ago. Hopped in EWA and asked "where the fight was" on all channel. I got an answer, we agreed on planes and off I was..... we ended up having an enjoyable hour in the TA later, and I hope I could pass on a few of my "tricks".

Very good post humble.

Now.... about this 6 months sub....... would tomorrow evening be good? :D

hehe.........please observe the fine print:)

(and no I dont want a hundred guys lining up to take my money)

Considering just how good some of the ladies are (you and blukitty come to mind) my lawyer obviously blew it:D . Always up for a round or two in the DA/TA....but I'll leave my wallet safely in my pocket....after all a mans got to know his limitations:)

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
Re: an intersting interlude.......
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 07:21:59 PM »
Originally posted by humble
I rolled a 109E in the EWA a bit earlier. Got bounced on take off in an arena with 15 people. Obviously this made no sense to me and when I inquired I was informed what a punk/noob I was. Now I will be candid that my inquiry was phrased in somewhat colorful terms, but i did get a chuckle....especially when told that I had interfered with there capture and that I was obviously a skillless wonder.

Now normally I simply move on but the individual in question is of marginal skill and limitless ego so I offered to duel him for a 6 month subsrciption (and no I dont want a hundred guys lining up to take my money). Now a 3rd entity chimed in and some additional back and forth ensued. I gladly offered a few rounds in the DA or TA and was denied...but eventually we went to the TA and then the DA.

I found the individual in question to not only be a nice guy, but also to have a pretty well grounded set of fundementals. Ready for prime time, hardly...but a nice guy, reasonably skilled and open to learning. I think it goes back to alot of the arguements on how much us "vets" are willing to give back. I've extended the gentleman in question an invitation to fly with me in the Ma and/or work with him in the TA/DA...ought to take him at least a week to catch up to me:).......

hope he takes me up on it. If your moaing and whinning about gameplay....do something about it....one guy at a time.

Sounds like you were served him some humble pie. :)  Too bad he started out by asking for rubarb pie without the sugar.  It's great that you had the fortitude to offer assistance to the new guy.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Magellan

• Zinc Member
Re: an intersting interlude.......
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:28:50 PM »
I found the individual in question to not only be a nice guy, but also to have a pretty well grounded set of fundementals. Ready for prime time, hardly...but a nice guy, reasonably skilled and open to learning.

Very cool, Humble.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: an intersting interlude.......
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley
Sounds like you were served him some humble pie. :)  Too bad he started out by asking for rubarb pie without the sugar.  It's great that you had the fortitude to offer assistance to the new guy.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

He just kind of jumped in....the guy I was tweaked at is a hurricane 2 HO/vulch/ganger type who talks but doesnt walk. I think its more a question of what your exposure is. I can see the less trafficed arena's appealing to many players who want to focus on "fighting" vs SA. With limited action the natural tendency to follow the local loudmouth (who may appear to be an "ace of aces") is only natural. It's really the "small fish,tiny pond" syndrome. In retrospect he wasnt doing anything but sticking up for the type of "gameplay" he was used to.

He hung in there pretty well and certainly was learning as he went. someone has spent some time with him and he had good initial merge etc...just no real feel for working the throttle and angles.....so it wasnt all that tough to work him over. But from his end getting hosed repeatedly by an F6 in a spitXVI was frustrating. All in all I think he'll turn into a pretty decent stick in short order if he stays with it....

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: an intersting interlude.......
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »
He just kind of jumped in....the guy I was tweaked at is a hurricane 2 HO/vulch/ganger type who talks but doesnt walk. I think its more a question of what your exposure is. I can see the less trafficed arena's appealing to many players who want to focus on "fighting" vs SA. With limited action the natural tendency to follow the local loudmouth (who may appear to be an "ace of aces") is only natural. It's really the "small fish,tiny pond" syndrome. In retrospect he wasnt doing anything but sticking up for the type of "gameplay" he was used to.

He hung in there pretty well and certainly was learning as he went. someone has spent some time with him and he had good initial merge etc...just no real feel for working the throttle and angles.....so it wasnt all that tough to work him over. But from his end getting hosed repeatedly by an F6 in a spitXVI was frustrating. All in all I think he'll turn into a pretty decent stick in short order if he stays with it....

The bottom line is that YOU took the time and effort to educate an apparent miscreant and that sir is wholly above and beyond the call of duty.  I you sir for your patience and understanding!  I just wished that there were far more involved in the game like you than we have.  I guess a lot of us are old old timers and just don't have the patience that we did in our younger years.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
skooled
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
I'd Like to be skewled by someone of caliber in an f4, or spit, or pony, or well just about any fighter really. I can bomb/gun, put some nice mission planning up, but my fighter skillz are weak. If anyone cares to go to the DA, then I'd like to join in. My comprehension of ACM is fair. I understand all of the physics, and phrases, but putting it together is just not there. I have requested a trainer a few months back, and was emailed to meet them, but it never happened. Dont know but dood never showed up. Sorry TC, but I just never got back in touch with anyone after that about it. Just went back to same old platue that im on, and honed what few skills I have.
Thanx in advance.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Not to sure about my caliber, but the F4F/FM2/F6F are my primary rides ... if you ever see me on, give me a shout and I would be glad to go round and round with you.

I can do the Spits too if you would like.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »
Well done Humble.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
WTG Humble !

I had a similar experience with an individual in the MA that had an over-abundance of bravdo. We didn't go to the TA/DA, but we arranged to meet between 2 fields that were away from the fight.

He picked the rides for 2 fights and got totally pwned !!! ... after the second fight I asked him, in good faith, if he would like some pointers and what my thoughts were on what he did wrong

He logged after the second death ... :eek:

On the other hand ... under similar experiences ... I have had some open for my advise ... take it ... and come back and try it out ... and then thanked me for the pointers.

You can lead a horse to water ... but you can't make him drink.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."