Author Topic: Submarines?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Submarines?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »
Subs could be modelled like CVs in that anyone can take control. When not in control they run on the surface, when you take control you have the option of diving. The aim is to move the submarines to the vicinity of where you think the enemy fleet will be.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Submarines?
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
Reality check:  we can't get maps and planes from wish list added to the game as it is, with all that would need to be changed in the water model to allow subs in the first place is a daunting task..... and ASW operations are not a visually cued fight, unlike everything else in the game right not.  Adding sonar, player controlled destroyers, the list goes on.

To build a WWII combat sim on that scale, and to do it right, I think you'd have to consider starting over with an AH-3 project, not adding onto the existing game.

And, by reports, TOD is getting the lion's share of time right now.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Submarines?
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 04:51:36 AM »
...but there's no harm in discussing stuff and providing feedback - maybe giving HTC ideas as to how to extend AH.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Submarines?
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 07:43:10 AM »
well, from that Interview posted above, I think Dales time scale has gone out of the window! For AH 1.08 in 2001

The biggest change I will be doing will be submarines in the next year.

Bitty out there eh? But shows that their coming. Just sit tight and wait!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Submarines?
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 08:39:12 AM »
we need subs someday...but too much programing
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Submarines?
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
If I was a moderator, you'd have been banned for spamming ages ago.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Submarines?
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 08:58:29 AM »
Benny, we have the freedom to give HTC feedback on what we would like, the majority of us agreed that adding submarines would require too much programming. I once thought of the things that would have to happen if we wanted subs a long time ago. It settles back to:

1. Water tiles need to be updated to support "diving".
2. User Operated destroyers would have to be added.
3. SONAR would have to be applied to the destroyer to locate submerged submarines.
4. Depth charges would be demanded instantly, therefore would have to be added along with the release of the subs, destroyer, and SONAR.

The majority of us agreed it's simply too much that has to be done to have the submarines appear in-game. Yet we all knew it would be interesting to see sumbarines in-game.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Submarines?
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »
I am with adding them as surface ships...they just roam with the TG
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Submarines?
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »
The 3D designers in the Free Multiplayer forum can make one such as that. I know I can, I'm just too lazy right now to even try. NOTE: As far as I am aware, you wouldn't be able to fire any torpedoes, only man guns on top of the submarine.
FlameThink.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Submarines?
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
the guns on the crusiers...say those?

FlyKommando.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Submarines?
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2007, 09:19:54 AM »
I wouldn't do that, most submarines only had one or two really huge guns.
FlameThink.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Submarines?
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »
oh, I didnt know that...thought they were smaller guns

FlyKommando.com

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Submarines?
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »
Most WWII subs had no more than one large deck gun, though large is a relative term; it tended to be in the 3 to 5-inch range.  Additionally, they mounted one or two smaller calibre guns, such as 20-mm, as well as several machine guns.  All but the deck gun were primarily for air defence; the big deck gun was used to take targets were risk of counter attack was minimal, and to sink cripples.  A notable exception was the French submarine Surcouf, which mounted two 8-inch guns in a forward turret (http://www.ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/FrenchSubmarineSurcoufthe.html).  She was a monster by WWII standards and carried a seaplane for scouting.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Submarines?
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
I think a U-boat that could catch a 30 knot plus task group would be
a fascinating vehicle to observe.

It's easy. Just be in front of the Task Group. Not that any of us actually have the patience to lay in wait lol.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Submarines?
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
I think a U-boat that could catch a 30 knot plus task group would be
a fascinating vehicle to observe.

Since the submarines would be an individual player operated unit, it would spawn like a PT boat. Either you could scout in a plane and spot an enemy CV group yourself, or listen to scout reports from other players on your country channel. Then you look and find the submarine spawn point that gives you the best chance of a fairly quick and sure intercept, and you spawn there and let the CV group come to you. It isn't like submarines actually chased down armed naval vessels in World War II anyway, they laid in wait or patrolled the shipping lanes and took positions in order to let the enemy come to them.  And the Germans use Focke Wulf 200 Condors to scout in the Atlantic.

Also, the submarine, because of the stealth and power factor, would be a perk item, you'd have to earn perks in PT boats or maybe as a ship gunner. Figure a submarine would have between 16 and 24 fish, with 6 forward and 4 aft tubes, similar to a Tang class sub. With that, you could take out the CV and the cruiser, and maybe a couple of the destroyers. The CV group would have to have some sort of ASW capability, maybe the ability to spot the sub via SONAR, RADAR, and visual, along with possible air scouting. Then the group would change course and engage the sub with guns on the surface or depth charges. Sinking the sub would also be a way to earn perks to get a sub with. Many of the old diesel/electric boats were faster on the surface, so the speed on the surface would be an incentive for the sub operator to run on the surface, besides charging the batteries to operate submerged. That would give the group a chance at spotting the sub on the surface. Once the sub is forced to dive, it can't out run the group, it must outsmart it or out maneuver it. Or get really brave and try to shoot its way out with torpedos. The very low profile of a sub would make it hard to hit on the surface, and with a 5" deck gun, it could duke it out with 1 or 2 destroyers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:52:06 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe