Author Topic: "Hollywood R Nuts".....  (Read 905 times)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:14:49 PM »
....or "A Plea for Decency" from Robert Redford at the Sundance Film Festival.

As many of you know, Redford opened the Sundance Film Festival this year with a speech which castigated President Bush for his role in leading the nation into war in Iraq.  He further demanded that the President do the "decent" thing and apologize to the nation.

Meanwhile, the list of films being presented to the public at the film festival as some of the best and most thought-provoking of the year are the two following jewels:

Hounddog

Zoo

"Hounddog" is another in a long-line of Hollywood films whose intent appears to breaking down the last taboo in American culture.  In this film we witness a real 12-year-old (Dakota Fanning) portray a girl waking up as her naked father climbs into bed with her;  "dancing" in her underwear while lying in bed;  and getting raped by a teenage boy.

Fanning's parents fully support their daughter's decision to play the rape scene, noting that this could cinch an Oscar for the child star.

Only the actress' face is shown during the rape scene, which reportedly has been tastefully executed.  

Nothing whet's a pedophiles appetite like a tasteful rape scene.  But it's ART ...

"Zoo"  is based on a real-life incident that took place in Washington state involving a man, a stud-horse, and a barn.  Or several men, actually.  Videotape of the events revealed that several men had found the charms of Mr. Ed to be more than they could resist.

In any event, one of these disturbed gentlemen died from internal injuries suffered during the intimate liaison with his equine companion.

Filmmaker Robinson Devor and THINKfilms distributor Mark Urman have emphasized the film's universalism.  Urman says the film is "a universal look at what goes on behind the facade of everyday, quotidian, normal American middle-class life."

Devor admits that the protagonist "seems like an oddball at the outset of the movie", but the filmmaker is trying to reveal "the human capacity to do the most awful things, chart(ing) the journey of this unhappily married man who began to explore sexual alternatives, as so many do."

Ooo-kay.  I suppose a lot of people secretly experiment with bestiality as a result of being locked into unhappy marriages.  Makes sense to me.

:rolleyes:

Sounds more like some Hollywood types are taking another swipe at the "normality" of middle-class life...which they secretly hold in contempt.

Willllllbbbuurrrrrr!  Whhheeerrreee arree Yyouu?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: "Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:35 PM »
Originally posted by Shuckins

Nothing whet's a pedophiles appetite like a tasteful rape scene.

We'll have to take your word for it.

Personally, I have no idea what whet's a pedophiles appetite for anything.

;)
sand

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
Awww Sandy, you KNEW what I MEANT!   lol  :D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:27:06 PM »
Awww Sandy, you KNEW what I MEANT!   lol  :D

Sorry... I saw the shot and I took it. I was only below the hard deck for a second. :D
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
Now that we have that settled... let's tackle the subject of "Hollywood".

Houndog was written, produced, and directed by Deborah Kampmeier. She has made one other movie.

The production companies involved were Deerjen Films,  Full Moon Films, and the Motion Picture Group. Between them they've made a grand total of four movies.

As for Zoo... written and directed by Robinson Devor. This looks like his forth. No production companies are identified.

This isn't Hollywood. Hollywood isn't interested in making art-house movies that no one will watch. They're interested in blockbuster buckets of **** like Pirates of the Caribbean II.

:)
sand

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
Dude, this festival may have started out as a venue for little known filmmakers outside of the Hollywood circles to hawk their wares, but it has morphed over the years into a media extravaganza for Hollywood celebrity actors and directors from major studios.

Hollywood's fingerprints are all over it.

Neener neener neener. :D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:33:33 PM »
Gratuitous mutual masturbation.

Neener neener... :D
sand

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 06:34:34 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman

This isn't Hollywood. Hollywood isn't interested in making art-house movies that no one will watch. They're interested in blockbuster buckets of **** like Pirates of the Caribbean II.

:)

He's right, the Sundance Film Festival is for independent films, these are way off Hollywood's beaten trail.

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Dude, this festival may have started out as a venue for little known filmmakers outside of the Hollywood circles to hawk their wares, but it has morphed over the years into a media extravaganza for Hollywood celebrity actors and directors from major studios.

Hollywood's fingerprints are all over it.

Neener neener neener. :D

Nope, I lived in Park City 1999-2000. There were a few recognizable actors and directors there but the vast majority of the people who came to Park City for Sundance were the jetset type from all over the world.

Park City is very small and not awfully metropolitan. The influx of celebrities is barely noticed by the locals, the other visitors are what gets the local businesses all excited about this festival. Lots of income from those few weeks for the resturants and hotel/resorts.

Label it as you will, being there and experiencing Park City during Sundance would help you and your need to label something as 'Hollywoodish' in order to slight it.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »
Originally posted by Flatbar
He's right, the Sundance Film Festival is for independent films, these are way off Hollywood's beaten trail.

Way off Hollywood's beaten trail? Not hardly. Off to one side from Hollywood's commercial bottom line efforts? Of course. But what they do for little or nothing shows what they really like. What you see at the local cinemaplex is what they make money with. What you see at those festivals is what they love and how they think.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:54:08 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:55:33 PM »
Damn... that sounded like it came right out of the mouth of Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly.

Well done!
sand

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 06:58:44 PM »
See Rule #4, #7
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:58:26 AM by Skuzzy »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
You guys have Sundance all wrong. It is sort of like a farm league for movies. Yes, there is Hollywood all over the place when the movies are shown. Hollywood wants to pick the moneymakers and get their stamp on the Oscarworthy.

But "Hollywood" is no where to be seen during the filming and production of the movie. No big budget, no formula scriptwriting and the only time you will see famous actors is if it's a pet project.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
You guys have Sundance all wrong. It is sort of like a farm league for movies. Yes, there is Hollywood all over the place when the movies are shown. Hollywood wants to pick the moneymakers and get their stamp on the Oscarworthy.

But "Hollywood" is no where to be seen during the filming and production of the movie. No big budget, no formula scriptwriting and the only time you will see famous actors is if it's a pet project.
OK, if it is the "farm league" as you put it, then to move up to the "big leagues", you have to make a movie you know the Hollywood insiders will agree with / love / adore / etc.  Then you will be tapped to "move on up."

And the same types of movies keep coming to the festival . . .

I think it shows the "independent filmmakers" know their audience.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
"Hollywood R Nuts".....
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 11:54:40 PM »
You could spin it that way, or you could spin it that it's an outlet for films that otherwise would not be seen.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.