Author Topic: "Nice shooting"  (Read 1481 times)

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
Benny we all have good days and bad. For the most part in main most players will even when its not a good fight. Their are a hand full of players that dont deserve a salute but i will always salute them back. Skill has nothing to do with a salute, GF our GK its all the same. When i get shot down by a newb i always try to give that person credit if he had killed me from my 6.

I get a good amount of every night i play mostly from people that have played the game for years. I fly really stupid and get shot down but that's why i play the game.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »
Originally posted by DREDger
oh brother..who cares.  If you like the fight just send a simple to the guy.  If he sends one back, or if he doesn't, so what.  Nice flying, nice shooting, the subtle difference between the two...get real.  Lots of guys don't even tune to 200.  My general rule of thumb, I usually don't send a when I win, but will return one if I recieve one.  Usually don't say anything on 200 either unless they initiate it.

The hard part about that is when your out numbered and you dont have time for a S for the next 10 minutes...

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
The problem is players falsely implying that other players' victories were due to gunnery and not flying skill.  Like I said, if you don't want to hand out a compliment, don't.  Now, saying "good shooting" is very much like saying, "Your flying wasn't worth mentioning but that was some good gunnery."  Obviously, then, saying "good shooting" when the outcome of the fight was in fact determined by gunnery rather than flying skill is not the problem.  But saying "good shooting" when the fight wasn't won by shooting but by excellent flying is deceitful.

For an extreme example, I can think of a time when a talented flier, "Joe," fought a less skilled player, "Ronny."  Joe out-maneuvered Ronny in a fair fight, getting behind Ronny right away and staying there, but took a long time to finish him because of Joe's poor gunnery.  After the fight, Ronny said, "good shooting."  But it was obvious to me and everyone who saw the fight that it wasn't good shooting, it was bad shooting and great flying.  Ronny was not being quite honest there; he handed out a false compliment to avoid giving out a real one.  He didn't want to admit he was out-maneuvered in a fair fight, so he made it sound as if Ronny had simply gotten in a lucky shot or head-on pass.

If that situation is good with you, Hubsonfire, then I'll just squelch you if ever I see you in the game, because I don't deal with rude and dishonest players.  If that's not the case, however, then I don't see why you apparently disagree with me here.  Or is it that you just like to jump on me whenever you see me because of past disagreements about airplanes and countries?  At any rate, I don't think I need to say a whole lot more here.  My point has been made quite clearly (reduntantly, even), and anyone of integrity will recognize its value.  Those who won't, won't, and nothing I say will change that.

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, I just didn't see the problem. I do now see the problem, and have a simple fix for you. Quit taking the game so damned seriously- you might have some fun.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »
obsession

noun
1.    an irrational motive for performing trivial or repetitive actions against your will [syn: compulsion]
2.    an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone

See 2.

Benny don't let your enthusiasm turn into the above.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:23 AM »
Originally posted by FX1
The hard part about that is when your out numbered and you dont have time for a S for the next 10 minutes...

Yeah nothing worse than not being able to back cause his buddies are trying for revenge.....

:)

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I think we should have one "encompassing thread".   Rather than 1,000 threads of this type.

Then how will I ever reach the coveted position of being a “Multi-thousand poster”?
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »
Originally posted by G0ALY
Then how will I ever reach the coveted position of being a “Multi-thousand poster”?

Post repeatedly in the stupid threads- you'll get there in no time. ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:21 AM »
I am mostly with TC on this.

It basically all means the same to me.

The reason for any acknowledgement is well meant even if the context doesn’t seem to fit the bill of events.

If I don’t reply to a comment...or hand one out, it's because I am in another fight, yakin with the squadies on voice chat or have 200 squelched.

I any event now that I am back in AH2 after a 3 month or so leave, i am striving to keep it light and fun for me as well as trying to keep my foes having fun whether victim of victor.

So  S!  GS!   GF!  Nice Flyin!   And so on to all my Victims and Victors in advance  :)

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Post repeatedly in the stupid threads- you'll get there in no time. ;)

Here speaks the voice of experience :rolleyes:

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 11:48:04 AM »
Hammy!!!!!!!

How you keeping matey?

The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
The problem is players falsely implying that other players' victories were due to gunnery and not flying skill.  

Shirley, you cant be serious.

Offline RASTER

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 11:52:42 AM »
Just an addendum to what I posted earlier, In other sims I have very often sent a to an opponent regardless of being the victor or the vanquished.  It can be a tolerable nuisance if metered out rather than poured out.

Benny, a means nothing more than 'Salute'. It is only a sign of respect for the opponent who fought well. I would only anticipate it being given when there is no chance of a typing death in doing so for either pilot.

Certainly, each situation has it's unique inflections and these exceptions can demand advanced forms of online etiquette but you can't regiment behaviour or make totalitarian demands on each and every person. People dont interact or percieve the world in exactly the same way. The exciting part of online combat is in the variety and the opportunities to witness how others work within the environment. But there are personal rules of conduct that take precedent.

I have noticed that as pilot chat increases, flying skill decreases. IMO, once the pilot becomes fixated with any obsession related to the radio chatter, its then that their priorities are displaced from combat, and they have then become a victim of ego.

RASTER

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 11:55:54 AM »
Sorry I think I need to post this here.

I was too mad at my SA the other night to do this

<> ghi

:aok

I can't believe I read this whole thread but it made me think about my actions.

Humbly,
gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 11:58:28 AM »
NICE POST!!!!!!!:aok

COURTEOUSLY YOURS,

BONER;)
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline DEMONSLAYER

• Copper Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 12:46:21 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
It means they are pissed?  Maybe that's what it means when you are pissed. Others are just good sports having fun.  They don't say things like "My grandma furballs better than you"  That was one of your gems tonight.  LOL.

i was just kidding when i said that because like yall were trying to furball at a5 and then yall couldnt even put a cap on the base.

i was morely just trying to stir the pot. for some laughs but no 1 wanted to.

yes i think it does mean they are pissed after a really long fight and that's all they can come up with. i think that is just making a excuse but trying to be nice at the same time.

now if some 1 makes a great shot on you then yes saying GS would mean " hey that was a good shot man" i just think saying GS after a really long fight is almost a excuse if you get what I'm saying.