Author Topic: Warp Detector  (Read 849 times)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Warp Detector
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »
What you all are failing to consider with the "he only warps in front of me" theory is stick-stiring.  He stick stirs only in front of you, when you appear to have a guns solution on him.  He doesn't stick stir other times, like when behind you or when you have already obviously missed and he's trying to get away.

With a cruddy connection, the "smoothing code" tries to make up for any lost packets by predicting where he should be given his last position and heading.  If the guy is stiring hard, the very next positional packet received may be in a substantially different location than the smoothing code predicted.  The result is a warp to the actual position, moving in a different direction than the last "predicted" position.  Another microsecond, another slow or missing packet, and you get another apparent warp as again your systems try to catch up.  As he stick stirs, each packet has a substantially different heading and angle, so his motion is jerky and warpy.

So, why does he not warp when behind you?  Simple . . . he is turning smoothly trying to get you in his gunsights.  The smoothing code is better able to predict his angle/heading at each given microsecond as there are no radical changes.  His motion appears smooth.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that it may appear "one way", but it is just an appearance.  When I was playing on dial-up I would get people dancing in my screen all the time because my cruddy connection couldn't keep up with the data transfer.  It was always worst when there were several planes nearby, all trying to send my comp their positional data.  On a couple of occasions I was told to "stop that", as if I had any control on what they were seeing.  Since I got DSL the "dancing in front of me" has been a very rare occurrence and the "stop that"s have not happened at all.

But when it does happen, it is usually *gasp* always the same guy!  Oh, he must be cheating, right?  No, you would expect the same guy with the same cruddy connection who stick stirs the same way to always be the one who dances on your windscreen . . . right?

Seriously, you all need to think logically for a little bit before jumping to the "C" word all the time.

And if you don't believe me, then film it and send it to HTC.  If it is a cheat, the guy will be gone.  99.9999999% certain it won't be, though.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Warp Detector
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 10:03:38 PM »
Problem is, we've got a control on stick stirring.  "Don't move your controls so rapidly."  Stick stirring, even if you manage to do it gently enough to spoof the lock, is itself cheating.  It is abusing and expoiting the netcode.  While jinking wildly would be a valid tactic to try to dodge a shot in the real world or a lag-free environment, doing so to try to dodge a shot by causing warping is simply cheating.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Warp Detector
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Problem is, we've got a control on stick stirring.  "Don't move your controls so rapidly."  Stick stirring, even if you manage to do it gently enough to spoof the lock, is itself cheating.  It is abusing and expoiting the netcode.  While jinking wildly would be a valid tactic to try to dodge a shot in the real world or a lag-free environment, doing so to try to dodge a shot by causing warping is simply cheating.
Where did I say they are aware it causes warping?  Big assumption (again) on your part.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Warp Detector
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 10:55:47 PM »
I think Spatula and Bronk have it pretty well nailed down here.

Dial-up has been the bane for online gamers in more settings than AHII.   Gamers that don't know enough to keep their system fairly clean of spy-ware and resource intensive programs out of the background are another.

Although I will still see the occasional random warper in a massive furball, which I also attribute to bad connections, where I see it the most is when I'm behind a player, and I fire.

Now, if I'm in a Pony with 6 - .50's going, or buff turret with 3 drones firing away... often with tracers on (buff tracers can intimidate some pilots).... the moment I fire, and the data is being transmitted about all those rounds (and tracer tracks) is being sent, that's when I see the most warps as of late.

Not saying that there aren't some players that rig it intensionally.  The guy that straight line warps 3 klicks forward, or behind you I still highly suspect of warping intensionally.... but those are rare.  But I think the majority are just poor connections.  Been in too many MMOG's, and have seen it too often elsewhere.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Warp Detector
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 12:58:52 AM »
Carwash has a point.

Many a time recently have I seen a plane go freestyling into the twlight zone.  Then smooth out.

Somethings up Ban their MA accounts until they find out why they are lagging like a lil biatch!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Warp Detector
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 01:32:41 AM »
^^agrees
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Warp Detector
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »
I am on dial up from Aus

I have never (in two years) been told that I need to stop warping (IE I dont warp much)

I do see the occasional bit of warpyness

And occasionally loose my connection

But 99%   of the time its all good

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Warp Detector
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 10:31:42 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
There ARE people in AcesHigh that dont play fair with some kind of intentional warping device.

fact.

period.

i had some issues with it myself.  in this case i was the warper.  turns out it was probably due to a bad ethernet port on my system...when i ran a direct usb cable from the modem it cleared up instantly.   i am guessing that it would most likely be a port issue thusly.  thank god.  sucks being warpy.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.