Author Topic: I no longer recommend CH Products!  (Read 439 times)

eskimo

I no longer recommend CH Products!
« on: April 01, 2000, 08:35:00 AM »

I thought that I had finally found a joystick manufactuer that was free of major bugs.  I have had my CH Pro Pedals for a couple of years, they have worked well.  I have had my CH F-16 Fighterstick for about 3 or 4 months.  It worked well untill I bought my CH Pro Throttle about 1 month ago.  Since then when I start my computer the CH software (Speedkeys) cannot find the joystick.  Sometimes on start-up Win. 98 can't find the keyboard.  Friends have told me to unplug the joystick and throttle overnight (This worked).  In a prompt responce to an E-mail CH told me to do a hard reset on the throttle.  After realizing that I need to do a hard reset 75% of the time, I have been doing a hard reset at each start-up of the computer.  I then redownload speedkeys and everything works fine untill I shut the system off.  Most of the times that I have done a hard reset, speedkeys has been able to find the joystick.  About 10% of the time the system can't find the keyboard.  At that point the on/off switch won't work and I must unplug the main power supply.  About another 10% of the time speedkeys cannot find the joystick and I must restart/ re-hard reset the joystick/throttle.  Today this is what has happened, except that speedkeys could not find the joystick on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th tries.  I am very frustrated with CH Products and am concerned with how much wear and tear I am putting on my system with all of the restarts/unplugs.  My computer is fairly new (P-2 450), and I didn't have similar problems before I bought the CH Pro Throttle.  My PDPI gamecard has always worked well.  CH also said in a later E-mail question responce:

"The problem may be related to your keyboard or the voltage being supplied by your gameport. If there is any fluctuation in your gameport
(if it ever drops below 5 volts) the throttle will cease to work. Also, if your power supply in your case is anemic (230W or less) that could
cause inconsistent power output which would also lock up the throttle."

I don't think that CH can blame this on anything other than their products.  I told CH that I planned on posting my problems with CH on the AH bulitin board if an reasonable solution to my problem was not presented to me. I am dissapointed that CH is willing to leave it's customers high and dry with faulty products or software, and no solutions.  I have talked to many CH Products users (in person and by E-mail/posts) that have had similar problems.  My problem is not new or unique.  I am recommending to potential customers that they do not buy CH Products since I have had serious problems that have not been reasonably fixed by CH. I also anticipate trying a different joystick system soon if a solution is not presented to me by CH.

eskimo

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2000, 10:03:00 AM »
Eskimo, I have about the same setup. Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals.

I used this setup for about a year with no problems what so ever, like you described.

But two weeks ago, I put in a new motherboard and processor as part of a upgrade.

Now, it has symptoms just like you described.  So I think CH probably has a very good point. Now don't think this doesn't piss me off too, but CH can't be totally at fault.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »
Hmmm...interesting that you post this Mino.  I have the CH Pro throttle, Wingman Extreme joystick and CH Pedals and although I am not having problems identical, they are similar.  Basically I suffer from not having my keyboard recognized at bootup everytime.  Not sure what caused it by I found that as soon as I did a hard power down (turn off power via power supply) the keyboard comes back.  

-Ding

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2000, 05:57:00 AM »
Having some dificulties with CH as I have been :
A- Waiting for over a month to get some pedals i ordered...(they didn't contact me to tell me that they had to charge me an extra 60$ for shipment...)
B-CH F16 Fighterstick problem, I sent them 7 Emals explaining all I'd done & they answered me to check the Database..................... .............

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-05-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Harppa FM

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2000, 07:13:00 AM »
I have same CH gear you have and I also have same problems you have.
Try this out : Every time I start my computer I keep my eye on three lights of my kb ( num lock, caps lock, scroll lock ) They should flash twice before the beep sound, then you know your computer will recognize your stick. If you can't see any flashing, cut the power off after the beep sound and try it again. Sounds funny, but it has worked for me ever since I bought that b****y Pro Throttle  
My system is PII 400/128 with CH gamecardIII
I'm using DFI main board and ASUS AGP-3800 TVR video card. Yes , and I have win 98SE .

-can hardly wait for USB Fighterstick/pro throttle to come. I have a feeling they may solve this annoying problem  

Harppa