Author Topic: Sound folder question  (Read 458 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Sound folder question
« on: July 26, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
Hi there,

I did the download for both of the "ultimate sound files" that were on the downloads page. I have a problem now and was wondering if it is a duplication of folders problem.

At this time when I fire the guns I get a short freeze o0f the action. It lasts less than a second but isa enough to render my plane noncompetitive. When I looked at the sounds folder I found that there is actually 2 of tem in an extended list of folders in my AH directory. Here is the full listing of all sounds folders as they are now in my AH directory. C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds\HTC\Aces High\sounds

Is there a duplicatin here that is causing the stuttering?? I have had no other changes in my system other than trying to use the new sound packs.

Thanks in advance,

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
Sound folder question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
have you tried moving the duplicate folder to see if that helps?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Sound folder question
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Pugg,
I'm not sure it IS a duplication yet. Hence the post.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Sound folder question
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2001, 02:08:00 AM »
A quick way to check is simply look in C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds for a load of aircraft sound folders. Compare the list of folders you have with the list of aircraft names on the HTC site. If each aircraft has its own folder, the extra "\HTC\Aces High\sounds" folder can be killed.

Or there's always the alternative: kill the entire sounds directory and do a fresh install.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Sound folder question
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm punting this back up hoping I can get an answer to this question. Please examine the list of folders I posted and advise if it's ok to delet the last HT and sound folder to get the game running again.

Mav

Originally posted by Maverick:
Hi there,

I did the download for both of the "ultimate sound files" that were on the downloads page. I have a problem now and was wondering if it is a duplication of folders problem.

At this time when I fire the guns I get a short freeze o0f the action. It lasts less than a second but isa enough to render my plane noncompetitive. When I looked at the sounds folder I found that there is actually 2 of tem in an extended list of folders in my AH directory. Here is the full listing of all sounds folders as they are now in my AH directory. C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds\HTC\Aces High\sounds

Is there a duplicatin here that is causing the stuttering?? I have had no other changes in my system other than trying to use the new sound packs.

Thanks in advance,

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Sound folder question
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
Ok, let me explain what happened here.  This is the path you reported above:

C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds\HTC\Aces High\sounds

When you install AH, you should have a path like this:

C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds

Beneath this will be sounds, plus folders for different planes and such.

What happened in your case is that when you unzipped the sound pack, it expected to be unzipped in the Program Files directory, not in the Sounds directory, so it made the whole path structure beneath sounds again.

Solution:

From here:  C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds\HTC\Aces High\sounds

Cut everything (folders and files) and paste them in here:  C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds

Say yes to overwrite... yes to all to be faster.  :)  That should fix you up.

After that is done, go to the C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High\sounds folder and delete the "HTC" folder and everything beneath it.  Make sure you delete the HTC folder beneath the sounds folder, not the one in Program Files, or you'll vape the whole game.  :)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Sound folder question
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
Leph,

You were right. I moved the sounds to the first sounds folder and deleted all the other folders trailing. I now have sounds, much better than default, and almost no hesitation. I still have a small discernable hesitation when I fire. I think it will be small enough to be competitive. I'll try for a while longer then either keep it as is or do a full re install.

Thanks again for the help.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Sound folder question
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2001, 07:29:00 AM »
I'm not entirely sure that hesitation is due to the sounds, but it may be.

I would try moving the sound folders for the planes you do not fly to another location temporarily.  (don't leave them anywhere under the HTC folder)  Then try flying and see if the hesitation goes away.  If it does, the hesitation may be caused by simply having lots and lots of sounds installed.  However, the problem may also be something to do with your system's resources and/or your sound drivers.  Make sure your drivers are up to date too.  :)