Author Topic: hO's  (Read 401 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
hO's
« on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:49 PM »
usually when i do HO's, (with collision on) i ppl ram into me "by accident".

if i try to pull up, they shoot my fuselage. if i pull down, they shoot my rudder and stabilizers.

what should i do to avoid HO.
i try not to but when i get too excited......

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
hO's
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 05:49:42 PM »
barrel roll works for me 'most' of the time.  But don't listen to me I fly like a wounded stork on prozac :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
hO's
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 05:52:08 PM »
I for one hate the HO but best way to avoid it that i have found is on the head on merge Begin turning a little left or right. Don't stay on course for a dead on HO and if the bullets start to fly from the other plane, barrel roll and pull back and force them to miss. Most times they will turn to try to get you and you can most times get a quick snapshot on them. A Little hard to put to words but i hope this helps
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
hO's
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:59:57 PM »
Titanic, dive under the guy BEFORE you merge (ie when youre coming into icon range). Then start pulling up into him "early" - ie LEAD TURN - kind of like you wanted to clipp of his tail end.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
hO's
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:46:26 PM »
"Tea-cup" them A little trick I developed. Basically take their head on. at 600 yards fire a half second burst or shorter. Dive down about 50-100 feet below them and immidiatly pull back up into them. This forms a trail in the shape of a cup. When they dive to shoot your tail they find themselves pointed at nothing because when you pull up, you carve an un-expected oppening in the air. It doesnt sound like it would work but it has yet to fail me. Just remember to do it, I always forget and end up getting rammed as I try to evade at the last second.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:49:14 PM by Serenity »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
hO's
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:31 AM »
Most experienced flyers will turn out, then back in to set up a cold merge (i.e., no HO) or will otherwise merge while turning.  If you see this happening I can almost guarantee you the guy won't HO you.  He's setting up for fair one on one fight although you still need to be aware of a deflection shot.

Almost anyone who comes straght at you is going to HO.  My personal preference is to HO him first but I'm one of the very few players who set my convergences at maximum and fly almost exclusively cannoned aircraft so my success rate is very high from 1K out.  If I decide to avoid it I nose down hard at 1K and rarely take a hit of any sort.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:08:34 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
hO's
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Most experienced flyers will turn out, then back in to set up a cold merge (i.e., no HO) or will otherwise merge while turning.  If you see this happening I can almost guarantee you the guy won't HO you.  He's setting up for fair one on one fight although you still need to be aware of a deflection shot.

Almost anyone who comes straght at you is going to HO.  My personal preference is to HO him first but I'm one of the very few players who set my convergences at maximum and fly almost exclusively cannoned aircraft so my success rate is very high from 1K out.  If I decide to avoid it I nose down hard at 1K and rarely take a hit of any sort.

What kind of cannon? I have my cannon convergence, in fact ALL of my convergence set exclusively to 200 or less. I find more success close in.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
hO's
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:19:02 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
What kind of cannon? I have my cannon convergence, in fact ALL of my convergence set exclusively to 200 or less. I find more success close in.

Really any kind.  I spend a lot of time in Spits and Hurris and the Hispanos have very good balistics but i also fly the C-Hog, FW-190's, TA-152, ME163 and others a fair amount.

I took down a Spit XVI that was running from me last night in a Hurri IIC from 800 out with only a short burst.

Maximum convergence settings are only good for .50 cal and above guns.  I set the .303's on the British birds in to 375-400 in a pattern but keep the 20mm's @ 650.

I still find these settings good in close but you have be more aware to maintain plane (i.e. wing orientation) with your opponent.  Even if you don't it only takes a couple of hits from a cannon to bring someone down.

Again, last night, I had a high deflection shot with a Hurri on a P-51 passing over me chasing a set of bombers and took off both his wings in one burst.

The balistics on the American .50 cals are also very good for this set-up and i've gotten several pusuit kills from as far out as 1K.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.