Author Topic: Video Capture Programs  (Read 577 times)

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Video Capture Programs
« on: February 08, 2007, 02:14:58 AM »
Hey all

I was wondering what video Capture programs (other than fraps) that people are using...

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:15:31 PM »
Yeah, I need to find a new one. My computer doesnt like fraps. No matter how many times I have downloaded it, it refuses to work.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »
GunrCAF posted this link to a program he has been using.

Camstudio

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
I found this video capture program and D/L the Trial version.

It seem like a pretty cool interface and has a simple feature for preparing the finished product for sharing.

$40 for the full version

Camtasia Studio

I have been using FRAPS  and  am finding that i have the same poor finished product with any Capture program i am using ( small screen stutterin/micro freezing and have concluded its prolly due to the fact that i have low system memory.

Pentium4 3.2 Northwood
EVGA Geforce 6800 GT 256
512 sys RAM. :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 11:42:06 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
fraps
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
fraps works perfectly ok if you dont have anyother  programs running in the background apart from the filmviewer that u are using to take the pictures
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
My FRAPS film.

Best FRAPS i could get

:(

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:02:06 AM »
mugzee thats not too bad for a first try,although it seems a little bit jerky did you do it all in one shot?

what you should try is doing it in smaller shots  then using  a movie editor like maybe movie maker to edit it all togeater,the smaller shots will take longer to make but should be less jerky when played back and then you can edit them togeather with different effects and different views.

Fraps is   a resorce greedy program but still one of the best.

If you have time mugzee try it the way i suggested you only need  a few shots then put them togeather with movie maker which should be on your pc and compare the differeence.

id be intrsted to see the difference
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
I thought continuous feed woulda been better. But as you stated. FRAPS along with any good capture program is going to be resource hoggish. So what you are saying makes sense.

I guess i shold tell ya that the playback in AH film viewer is just as jerky when FRAPS is running. And i little jerky even when fraps isn't running.

I will try.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:57:59 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »
Has anyone used the AVI converter in the film viewer lately?  I have been using other capture software.  The last film I made, I used the the film viewer converter and it worked quite well.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
Has anyone used the AVI converter in the film viewer lately?  I have been using other capture software.  The last film I made, I used the the film viewer converter and it worked quite well.

Gunner

Does it still go frame by frame?  If so that takes too long and I sit still about as long as a mongoose on pcp.... :D
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
Originally posted by Sketch
I sit still about as long as a mongoose on pcp.... :D

LOL!!!

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »
Originally posted by Sketch
Does it still go frame by frame?  If so that takes too long and I sit still about as long as a mongoose on pcp.... :D

Yes, and come to think about it.  I didn't do anything fancy, and I spliced a few films together, so I just recorded the file straight.
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:50:41 PM »
Going back to general performance, this relates to anything in general. It also equates to AH online play. If you have too much garbage installed and running on your PC before you load anything (when you're just sitting, looking at the desktop) you can suffer big performance drops or FPS skips.

When you are NOT running anything special, just sitting at the desktop, hit CTRL ALT DEL, and at the bottom note how many processes you have running. Mine shows 26 and that's with MSIE up and a couple others I could kill if I wanted to.

If you have 35 you're in trouble. If you have 40+ you're up a bleepy creek. If you have 60+ you probably have a Dell and are in deep Bantha Poodoo.

It doesn't matter if you have 4 gigs ram, the best Core2 Duo chip overclocked to the fastest speeds. If you've got 60+ runnin when idle you're going to feel it.

So if you have these problems (skips when capturing film) make sure nothing else is running in the background. Not messenger. Not mail. NOT anything from MS office (including the fast-start toolbar). Not any active desktop that might randomly rotate your backdrop while you're working, or anything.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »
mine shows 27 with IE open

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Video Capture Programs
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
In that case it's probably a RAM issue, as mentioned.