Author Topic: With the great new terrain graphics coming...  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com/intro.html
With the great new terrain graphics coming...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 11:03:53 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Considering a single plane on fire anywhere in your field of view eats up 20fps, can you imagine seeing multiple burning fields' pillars of smoke 20 miles out? I wonder how much a hit this would cause. I'm pretty sure my card can handle it, but I'd bet a lot of other players' cards can't.

a single plane on fire does almost nothing to the FR, its the smoke/fire on the ground that eats up FR, the "large pillars of smoke" (if made the same as the ground smoke) would eat up FR like no other.

Odee, just because u can afford a decent gaming computer, doesnt mean everybody can, SLI will greatly improve FR because if 1 vid card is having any problem processing it will simply offload any task onto the second vid card.
try this map offline, fly over the centre island and tell me what ur FR is.
(note: put "heavy damage" to 0 or u WILL die)
8thbomb1.zip

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com/intro.html
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by brucerer
When can you ever see multiple burning fields? Doesnt happen too often where you have two fields in the screen at the same time. Remember FPS is only affected by what is on the screen at any time. If there were a hundred burning fields off the screen (eg behind you) you wouldnt have to render them at all, hence no FPS loss.

Its not multipul burning feilds, its just multipul fires that eats FR, and i see these burning feilds all too often in the small h2h maps.
Fuel tanks, ammo bunkers and hangars all "catch on fire" when destroyed

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 04:15:27 AM »
Odee: fps is measured and compared with Vertical Sync set to "always on." You might want to be careful throwing out the phrase "analytically challenged." It may come back to bite you. ;)

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:29 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
Odee: fps is measured and compared with Vertical Sync set to "always on." You might want to be careful throwing out the phrase "analytically challenged." It may come back to bite you. ;)

If you read my post as intended, the "analytically challenged" are those that couldn't figure out it takes two cards to go SLI and that the cards themselves are only 256mb each...  *two x 256 = 512*  

Perhaps I should not have made such an "Intellectually Challenging" parse?

Oh... And thank you very much for clarifying the relationship between FPS and Vertical Sync.  Could have sworn that VS could be tuned or tweaked instead of just default auto-on. ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:27:40 AM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/