Author Topic: Tank soft spots  (Read 674 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Tank soft spots
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:11:46 AM »
I am fairly new to the game and need some tips.

I have read the trainers page and netaces on gv's and have seen the pictures of the "soft spots" for various GV's.  I am getting frustrated in that I hit those areas and don't seem to get the kills.  

You can't imagine my frustration when I hit a tiger or even a panzer several times and don't get a kill.  Sometimes I watch 4 and 5 rounds bounce off causing zero damage and then my opponent hits me once and I am gone.  I have even hit an M3 with an AP round and it drove off...   This problem exists even when I am in a tiger.  I hit a tank 4 times, he fires once and I am dead.  

Would someone please share with me the secret spots to hit stuff?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:43:59 AM »
Take them from the rear.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »
Originally posted by squealer
Take them from the rear.

Even from that direction I have to sometimes hit them more than once, panzer, tiger, M3 doesn't matter....

The thing I don't get is people are getting one or two shot hits on me and I am back at the tower.  

How do they do that???

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. It can be handy to do some shooting offline to see the effect of different shots! - There is a difference for sure.

For instance the T34 seems a tough tank, but aiming at around the middle of its wheels/tracks seems to take it out nice and quick with a single AP round from a panzer!

Not being much of a GV'er I usually just try to hit the enemy! Aiming for a sweet spot is more good luck than skill to me. So I could do with more info on this too!

Squealer may be right but how often do you end up the 6 of a GV ? In the MA's there is more to it. And I would not count on the historical soft spots. You have to be a gamer on this I think and know what the software soft spot is!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:38:38 PM by Blagard »

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Tank soft spots
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »
Tiger=in back below turret--from: Tiger, panzer, t34
Panzer=on side of turret----from: Tiger, panzer, t34
T-34=kill its tracks 1st--------from: Tiger, panzer, t34
M8=shoot the wheels--------From: Tiger, panzer, t34, m8

some of these may take a few shots, but they are the most softest places.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 04:42:22 PM »
Originally posted by spikes
Tiger=in back below turret--from: Tiger, panzer, t34
Panzer=on side of turret----from: Tiger, panzer, t34
T-34=kill its tracks 1st--------from: Tiger, panzer, t34
M8=shoot the wheels--------From: Tiger, panzer, t34, m8

some of these may take a few shots, but they are the most softest places.

If using a T34 or Panzer, close the range.  Your guns will be more effective in close.

if using a Tiger, keep the distance open... Tiger has slow traverse, and enemy can take you out with 1 or 2 rounds if they get in close to you.

M8.... keep moving.... never stop.  Weak gun mean any kills against armor is lucky.

Always make sure you're taking AP rounds to a GV fight.

Offline LTARokit

• Copper Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
Not always is AP the answer.  When ever I up armor, I generally take a mix of ammo, depends on what I'm going after.

Jeep, M3's, M16's, M8's, LVT's, & Osti......respond better with HE.  I've found that even the heavier tanks can be effected by hitting them in the tracks with HE, but generally HE won't kill them

Heavy armor there are weak spots in each of the armored vehicles.  The trouble is, these spots are small, and take much practice to easily acquire, much less hit the "Sweet Spot".

Rounds bouncing off:  Keep in mind, AH isn't some simple arcade game.  HT & staff devoted much into realism.  If you have a round bounce, then look at the big picture and learn:  how far was your target, did you have to elevate in order to range your target.  If so then your round came in at a steep angle, which means more times than any your round will glance off the side of the armor.

The best shot is when your can deliver it to your target, angled at 90 degrees to the target surface.  The more your off the 90 degree mark, the more you'll experience rounds bouncing off.  Easier said than done lol, time and practise.

Scca if you'd like more info on those "Sweet Spots", PM LTARkils and he'll hook ya up :aok

Offline FireOf59

• Copper Member
T-34 kill with M16
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »
I've managed to Kill t-34's with an M-16. (A squaddie told me about this)

If you can sneak up on his side before he gets a bead on you; aim for the tracks between the 2 front wheels from either side. It'll disable his tracks and put his turret aimed in the air.

Did that several times last week, when camping a Map room on a base the nme was trying to take.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 09:23:03 AM »
Originally posted by LTARokit
Not always is AP the answer.  When ever I up armor, I generally take a mix of ammo, depends on what I'm going after.

Jeep, M3's, M16's, M8's, LVT's, & Osti......respond better with HE.  I've found that even the heavier tanks can be effected by hitting them in the tracks with HE, but generally HE won't kill them

Heavy armor there are weak spots in each of the armored vehicles.  The trouble is, these spots are small, and take much practice to easily acquire, much less hit the "Sweet Spot".

Rounds bouncing off:  Keep in mind, AH isn't some simple arcade game.  HT & staff devoted much into realism.  If you have a round bounce, then look at the big picture and learn:  how far was your target, did you have to elevate in order to range your target.  If so then your round came in at a steep angle, which means more times than any your round will glance off the side of the armor.

The best shot is when your can deliver it to your target, angled at 90 degrees to the target surface.  The more your off the 90 degree mark, the more you'll experience rounds bouncing off.  Easier said than done lol, time and practise.

Scca if you'd like more info on those "Sweet Spots", PM LTARkils and he'll hook ya up :aok

Yes, LTARKils is quite good in a GV.  So are many of the other LTAR's.  

I will try some off line angles along with some ranging.  

Thanks for the advise...

Offline fjaloma

• Zinc Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »
Originally posted by squealer
Take them from the rear.

I'm a little late on this, but there's an essential thread to the above posts. "from the rear, side of turret, why does 1-2 shots kill me" etc.

It's all about velocity.  Why does 1 shot kill you?  Velocity.  The attacker was close enough to hit you, soft spot or not, and kill you.  I've been killed by a Tiger from 1k away. Why... the 88MM gun has a very high velocity even at that range. That's why it takes me 8 hits to kill it from that range.

A T34?... because of its rounded shape it deflects a lot of rounds. That's why it takes so many rounds to kill one unless you're point blank, from the rear and hit it square.  Any angle, regardless of velocity, will deflect a lot of energy.

I drive Panzers mostly becasue EVERYBODY drives Tigers, so I like to be different.... and I get some satisfaction in killing a Tiger with my measley little Panzer gun. I've killed them with 1 shot, but only because I was within effective kill range of the Panzers main gun.

Try it..you'll see what I mean.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 01:51:55 PM »
fjaloma,

While you are correct that the closer you are the more power there is in the shot. There are also key spots on some vehicles that can result in almost one shot kills.

The T34 is a good example if you aim for around the 2nd or 3rd wheel back you can knock it out real quick! Try it off line and compare with hitting in different places.

So while getting up close is good, remember the other guy will also have a closer shot, so it can be a question of who hits the sweet spot first!

Offline fjaloma

• Zinc Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
So while getting up close is good, remember the other guy will also have a closer shot, so it can be a question of who hits the sweet spot first! [/B][/QUOTE]

Agreed, however, I wasn't specificially speaking to being in close. More so I was saying that even at range, a hit on a "sweet spot" lilely will not have the desired affect. Panzers seem to have a kill envelope from about 1200 meters in.  Tigers seem to have an effective kill zone that reaches out to about 2400 meters.

If I hit a sweet spot at 1400-1800 meters in a Panzer or T34, I likely won't kill it. It will do some damage, but will require a 2nd or 3rd shot to finish him.

Observation: Have you ever been trying to roll into a VH for example and have a Tiger squatting there about 1.5-2K away firing at you?  If you notice his shots are flat & fast.  If I shoot back I have to throw a high arc just to get it there. So I know right off, that any shot from him, even at that distance, will at least disable me and likely kill me.  Anything from me will not have any energy left to penetrate armour.  That's when the Cat & Mouse games begin. Duck &  Cover, sprint from cover to cover, use hill & trees etc.  It gets exciting and I know he's getting frustrated as I only give him a brief glimpse.

It's all fun!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Tank soft spots
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »
Use a hurri 2d and pop em in the roof.
:D

Bronk
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:25:27 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4