Author Topic: The hardest part of home-building a PC...?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
The hardest part of home-building a PC...?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:05 AM »
One thing that I am going to look at for simplifying the next build or even upgrade is a modular power supply. I wish I had gone that way with my last build back in December since I now have cables all bunched up and stuffed out of the way in the top of the case behind the power button plate. If I had a modular one I would not need all those bundled up there and the inside would be much cleaner/clearer.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »
Ooo and remember having to manually setup your sound hardware by address...

I remember many fun times I chose poorly...and later the inept autodetect programs.

I never had 'soundblaster' hardware then, always "100% soundblaster compatible" though...more like "50-75% soundblaster compatible".

Oh and I remember the first time I heard midi music other than the fm synthesizer...wavetable baby!

Ahh..those were the days.

Oh back on topic...  My biggest (modern) problem building a pc is motherboard support for the newest core/stepping cpu's.  Several times I've ordered parts only to find I need a bios update to even post.  Thankfully I usually always had access to an older core/stepping.  Other than that, modern pc's could be put together by monkeys...even the front panel connectors are becoming color coded and all fancified.

(Back in the AT days I accidentally shorted the leads to the power switch...now that was fun!)
P-47 pilot

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »
Well not all the good old days were good :D

Today it's all about research! Make certain that all the parts are compatible, then make sure you deal with a reputable retailer...or E-tailer (whatever) Don't bother with dual drives & all that crap unless you are really hard core. Combo drives give you cd-rw & dvd all in one drive & there isn't any need for a floppy unless you run into the one or two things you'll still need one for. (bios upgrade for certain mobo's etc.)

Building a P/C today is nothing more than a weeks research & two hours of building...then another 30 minutes to an hour of O/S installing (depending on how fast your system is) It's so simple a monkey could do it....heck I did it (more than once) & I'm one step above monkeys on the evolutionary ladder. Two AMD systems & an Intel & so far the two AMD systems are chugging along trouble free since day one & over a year in service & the Intel that I just built has had a mobo go bad within a week. It's nothing against Intel, it's just new hardware & software needs a break in period. If you build bleeding edge you will encounter more problems than if you build 6 - 9 month old technology.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 12:34:48 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
715, sounds like you went with some early AMD (VIA, NForce2 and earlier) motherboard.  It was not until recently AMD based systems did not require some amount of tweaking, depending on the other components you bought.

Actually, I am an extremely conservative person and I went with an Intel mobo (D865PERL) with what was listed as compatible RAM and it still pooped in my lap.  (The IRQ shuffle was indeed when I was still trying to get it to work with win98, not XP.)

When it comes time to research compatible components, what sites do you guys check?  I've checked Anandtech, for example, and found 'horror' stories of some mobos not booting with the latest CPUs forcing you to find an old CPU to install so you can boot and flash the bios.  Then they mention some earlier versions of certain mobos not supplying the proper voltage to the RAM chips.   How do you research that you have compatible combinations?  Or, with Core 2 Duo, has all that been ironed out by now and I'm safe as long as I make sure I get a recent mobo?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 04:29:22 AM »
Originally posted by 715

When it comes time to research compatible components, what sites do you guys check?  

I do a search in the Amd /or intel Forums ... this is were the best info is on hardware  .. see what there running and compare ... you do have to remember sometimes the complaints are  NewU operator /builder error.. but it gives you a good idea of whats what ... and then theres the overclockers forums were you can see how it really performs / what problems they run across .

Theres also a bunch of guys here ... we swap pm's with what were looking at getting and compare hardware too. (Warning theres a initiation ceremony ) :noid

i try not to recommend anything that I havent personally Ran/ own or tested .

As Brenjen metioned your better off with 6 mo to 1 yr old tecnology/parts then you are with bleeding edge parts ... it makes for a more stable system and less headaches in the long run .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:32:54 AM by Roscoroo »
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 06:36:06 AM »
Originally posted by 715
Actually, I am an extremely conservative person and I went with an Intel mobo (D865PERL) with what was listed as compatible RAM and it still pooped in my lap.  (The IRQ shuffle was indeed when I was still trying to get it to work with win98, not XP.)

When it comes time to research compatible components, what sites do you guys check?  I've checked Anandtech, for example, and found 'horror' stories of some mobos not booting with the latest CPUs forcing you to find an old CPU to install so you can boot and flash the bios.  Then they mention some earlier versions of certain mobos not supplying the proper voltage to the RAM chips.   How do you research that you have compatible combinations?  Or, with Core 2 Duo, has all that been ironed out by now and I'm safe as long as I make sure I get a recent mobo?

Ahhhh.  Intel, for all thier expertise really do not make good motherboards.  Maybe I should rephrease and say they are very inconsistent.

For motherboards, it all depends on what I am building.  I use ASUS, ABit, and SuperMicro.

Many motherboard manufacturers jumped on the Core2Duo bus very quickly, by revving the BIOS ROM of any existing 975 chipset motherboard they had laying around.  Those should all be flushed from the pipeline by now.

The RAM issue has to do with high speed DDR2 memory.  Most, if not all, the high end DDR2 memory runs at 2.4V.  The normal DDR2 RAM specification calls for 1.8V.  So, you have to check the motherboard to make sure it will support the RAM you want to use.  Take note, the higher volatge DDR2 memory runs very hot.  Cooling considerations should be made when deciding to use it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 12:30:03 PM »
Skuzzy, Roscoroo: thanks for your answers.  Roscoroo: would you post the URL of an Intel Forum you consider a good source of info please?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
http://www.hardforum.com/index.php?

theres one that pritty good .

http://www.anandtech.com/

anandtech has good reviews on stuff ... not as biased as toms hardware can be.

http://forums.amd.com/

the Amd forum ... witch is one of the best for AMD guys .

http://forums.pcper.com/

pc perspectives ... thats one of my Fav forums they cover bolth pent and amd .

some were i had a link to another intel forum  But i cant find it at the moment.

Hope this helps ....
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »
When I spent cash on a quality box for the first time I couldn't believe the difference in build comfort. Tool-free installation, removable drive cages, plenty of cooling fan slots (most importantly option to cool harddrives with 12cm fan) etc. etc.

I can't believe I wasted my time with the el-cheapo chassis's.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2007, 02:22:09 PM »
I often langame with friends, so a mobile case is a must.  Currently i use the Aspire X-Qpack.  Has a nifty built in handle and excellent cooling.
P-47 pilot

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 04:52:09 PM »
Roscoroo: Thanks.     -715

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 09:10:57 PM »
My last two builds have been shuttle systems. The high-end ones run about $450, but include the case, motherboard, power supply and CPU fan. The first system was a 3.2 GHz P-4 that really utilizes the variable speed case and CPU fan. The newest was for a 6700 Core2Duo that hardly ever turns the CPU fan on. You're limited with what you can add to the system (CD, 3 HDs, Floppy, Video card - any available right now) and have to settle with their on-board sound, but it's a decent chipset with good (enough for me) sound quality. The case is as easy to work with as any you'll find and the cables are all pre-routed. The newest one even included connectors for the 8800 GTS that I put in it.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »
Another limit on the shuttle systems is that they only go up to 667mhz memory.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »
the coolermaster centurion 105 has a front panel ac3 connector that is made up from all single pins, it looks like dreadlocks.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 05:56:41 PM »
lol i hate that, especially when they do the front USB in single pins.  The newer cases route them to a single connector, but occasionally I still run across one with every wire separated...it can be mind numbing.
P-47 pilot