Author Topic: Rubber projectiles...  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 03:03:32 AM »
Originally posted by Softail
If they are NOT armour piercing....why do I loose tanks to them?   I have had panzies been blown to bits by the Yak!  Not tracked.  Not engine smoking...I have been killed by them straffing my tank.

Softail

IRL: Have You ever seen the devastating force of russian 23 mm cannons? I have and I know that...The small caliber misleads into believing that it wonīt work  against panzers.
Old russian 23 mm cannon, as well as new 30mm cannon, are both really excellent guns.  Like it or not.
They both have really high muzzle velocity and relatively heavy projectile. Kinetic energy of hit is huge.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:09:49 AM by Zuum »
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 09:31:07 AM »
Originally posted by Zuum
IRL: Have You ever seen the devastating force of russian 23 mm cannons? I have and I know that...The small caliber misleads into believing that it wonīt work  against panzers.
Old russian 23 mm cannon, as well as new 30mm cannon, are both really excellent guns.  Like it or not.
They both have really high muzzle velocity and relatively heavy projectile. Kinetic energy of hit is huge.

He was talking about the Yak 37mm, not the Il2 23mm cannons.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Film?

Bronk

I've blown up panzers with a Yak 9T.  Only when flying real low right up the 6 of the PNZR and hitting it with 4-6 37mm rounds.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
Originally posted by Solar10
I've blown up panzers with a Yak 9T.  Only when flying real low right up the 6 of the PNZR and hitting it with 4-6 37mm rounds.

I'd still like to see film of this.
Only because I've been on a guns only kick, ac to gv as of late.

My preferred ride for this is the IID.
4 rounds and I'll smoke a tiger turret.
With 8 and a bit of luck I kill em outright. (only did this once so far)

I find it hard to believe an HE round can outright kill tanks in this game.

So please post a film .

Bronk

Edit: I'll go as far as the DA in tank and let you try to kill me.
See Rule #4

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
He was talking about the Yak 37mm, not the Il2 23mm cannons.

Oops...i forgot the suggestion "BTW..." before the text:  :D
I ment, "BTW, Have You ever...etc, etc..."
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Like all Nazi equipment, the Mark 108 is very highly over-rated today.  A lot of people associate Nazi Germany with power, and that is the reason behind the fascination.

Benny,there's a pic of a beaufort,I think,that had 1 30 mm exploded,by the allies.It was placed in the aft fusealage and detonated. This shell completely seperated the fuselage. If you took the time to read about the MK108 you'd have seen that it contained 56 grains of HE.Tests by all have confirmed 3 to 5 hits would bring down any plane. think of a small grenade going off inside your A/C

BTW I know a couple of Mitchel gunners and the mere mention of FW 190 would bring tears to their eyes,over estimated,not very likely.....

But what would they know,they're only Crazy Canucks:noid

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »
errrrr, that would be a Beaufighter:O

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 06:28:29 PM »
Opps, anyway...
The point was the 30mm and itīs ineffectiviness in AH.
I think, that gun has  been downed a lot...

Offline Barnes828

• Copper Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
Ok this video should silence this forum and shows how underpowered 30mms are in this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZGaEEi8Ek

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 07:08:42 PM »
thx, barnes!
Now I donīt feel myself so alone.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »
Originally posted by Barnes828
Ok this video should silence this forum and shows how underpowered 30mms are in this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZGaEEi8Ek

Hmm on a fighter size ac it does just that.
I've taken off spit wing with one round.
Not sure what the problem is?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 02:23:49 AM »
I've got a question about this quote from the webpage listed above:

Mk108

"One drawback was that once installed, there was no method to adjust the gun's harmonization"

Anyone know the magic number in meters?  I bet it wasn't very far.  From this I'm reading it shouldn't have an adjustable conversion setting.  Furthermore, it got me to thinking--how do you adjust convergence in a cannon that is mounted inside the propellor hub?  I would think the tollerance for up/down and side to side is pretty small.  If its set parallel to the shaft of the prop extension, I'm thinking you get very little accurate range--probably less than 200 meters or so.  I'm curious what the drop over 800 meters would be for a 300 gram round.  Seems like a shot at that range would require the target to be blocked by the cowling to "bloop" the round in.  I got killed tonight in FSO from a shot at 800 meters, then later in the MA by a shot from 800 meters.  Pretty gamey, IMOH.  No question in the lethality of the round, merely talking about precision of the tater at that range.  I always love when its insta-tower at 800 meters--makes my day.

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 02:33:51 AM »
Stoney...I do live 100 % with your opinion about "gamey"  charasteristics of certain guns in AH.
I have been shot many times by .50 cals(Pony or Jug) from 1000 yards distance...IRL that would have been a bad joke.
I bet, the rational and effective range of Mk108 was likely less than 100 yards...

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Rubber projectiles...
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 03:10:12 AM »
I'd just like to see some documentation on max effective range, what was the "fixed" factory convergence distance, and amount of drop over 1000 meters every 100 meters.  Also, I looked at Tony Williams site to see if I could compute muzzle velocity loss over those distances.  The closest I could approximate from his formulas for specific density etc. was around 6% MV loss every 100 meters.  That would mean with a starting MV of 550 meters/sec.  it would have an approximate MV

At barrel:  550 m/sec
At 100m:  517 m/sec
At 200m:  486 m/sec
At 300m:  457m/sec
At 400m:  430m/sec
At 500m:  404m/sec
At 600m:  380m/sec
At 700m:  357m/sec
At 800m:  336m/sec

That's a huge amount of MV loss.  A round that has such bad ballistics  should turn into a knuckleball at that range.  Maybe one of the others could tell me what the drop over distance was.  If the rational and effective range of the weapon was around 100meters, the model is seriously flawed--and I ain't talking about the damage done.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Tater Logic?
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 10:07:03 AM »
Stoney, awesome observation.:aok   Sorry I missed that day in Physics class (tater logic - how far can I throw the tater).:D  

I think the question here still asks, what makes them bounce  back:confused:

Someone referred to a noticeable difference in damage from day to day (referred to as rubber bullets ).  I agree somedays I am on fire, raking in the one pass kills, and on other days I am literally on fire (bingo ammo -  enough assists to win wingman of the year):furious