Author Topic: Nice Lesson in Computer Repair  (Read 1486 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Nice Lesson in Computer Repair
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:19 AM »
I salute everyone who's paid attention to this thread so far...and it gets even more bizarre..

Here comes the newest jaggy part.

The big computer now can see nothing.

It's gotta be the the video card or CPU...there's nothing else left they can jag me with.

Because I already bought  and bought whatever they suggested.

So, $700 into this, I'm still f****d.

Plus now, I'll get to spend another $400 on video cards, and then CPU, because I am such a stupid, stupid, JO.

And, when I call myself a JO...the 'J' stands for JAG...you can figure out the rest.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 08:26:09 AM »
Step one......

Use a circuit tester to check the quality of the circuit itself....

Then use a PS tester to check the PS. I'd guess that either your getting "dirty" power or the circuit isn't delivering what it should....

Common sense says the problem is the circuit itself....sounds like a classic case of dirty power to me.

of course if everything with the power does check out then your probably being played and you need this.....

To assist you with proper placement of the computer in the appropriate locale:D

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »
Anybody mention a loose connection yet? Maybe a bad outlet? Or maybe a gfci  breaker going bad?

Probably, I just started skimming when TEshaw got insulting.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »
At what point did I get insulting?

I began every post with a thank you.

Plus, I'm not even going to look at the circuit again, until I get to buy a new video card.

This has been so much fun.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 01:34:27 AM »
Oh, I see where I was insulting..

I was slightly making fun of guys who have no jobs. Talk to Woodie Guthrie (I ain't got no home in this world anymore.)

Look, I'm still trying to be nice here.

And now I'm accused of being insulting.

The outdoor circuit box must have the exact same ground that it had for the last eight years. Everything else is grounded to that. Of course.

As for the outlet, I've never touched it except to plug in the computers once or twice in a decade.

OK, I still haven't gone outside to look, but it's almost assuredly a 20 amp circuit, proper Romex, and I'm typing from the other computer which is less than 15 feet from the box that  the electricians approved when they jagged me 8 years ago.

So, you think it's a problem with the ground-fault interrupter circuit breaker?

Fine, I can replace that.

I can also replace the ATI 800 video card in the AGP slot.

I'm not trying to be nasty to anyone here. I just think you ought to have a laugh about my stupid, stupid computer problems.

Are you identifying with some imaginary electricians that I employed 8 years ago?

And, I'm still being nice.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 02:04:45 AM »
OK.

I don't even know what 'dirty power' is.

But, the computer works fine from every other circuit in the house.

Now here's this code-approved circuit that is dedicated exclusively to my computers, and, as I've said, I haven't pulled the cord from the outlet but twice in the last decade.

Plus, i don't claim to be a know-it-all.

So, what you're all saying is: replace the circuit breaker, right?

I'm just trying to tell you, in my crude way, what I'm experiencing, plus, tomorrow, i get to buy and install a new video-card too.

This is just too great.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 03:49:57 AM »
Have you tried to plug in your extention cord into the exact same outlet that the other working computer is using?  If not, try it and post results.

If it works, then try to plug the extention cord into the outlet that you know doesn't work for your computer.  If it works, please post results.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »
Originally posted by TEShaw
OK.

I don't even know what 'dirty power' is.

But, the computer works fine from every other circuit in the house.

Now here's this code-approved circuit that is dedicated exclusively to my computers, and, as I've said, I haven't pulled the cord from the outlet but twice in the last decade.

Plus, i don't claim to be a know-it-all.

So, what you're all saying is: replace the circuit breaker, right?

I'm just trying to tell you, in my crude way, what I'm experiencing, plus, tomorrow, i get to buy and install a new video-card too.

This is just too great.

For some reason the link isnt good....dirty power.

At this point i'm guessing this a troll, its not to hard to figure this one out. No one with any common sense is going to replace parts in a working computer becuase it doesnt work in a particular socket. My car worked just fine when I bought it, that doesnt mean it'll run forever without repairs.

I'd invest $20 in multimeter before I give the techies another freebie.....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
Look, I'm still trying to be nice here.

Why wouldn't you be nice ? It's your problem and people are trying to help you. :confused:

Why would put that much money into a used pc ?  You could build a decent core duo for alittle more .

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
kermit, since you requested these tests and my report...

I used a multi-tester to check eash socket on both circuits involved. Both circuits test out at 110.

OK, now, both computers are plugged into the same surge protector, so I moved the surge protector around to the sockets from the 15 amp lamp circuit and the 20 amp dedicated computer circuit.

The little back-up computer powers up fine either way. The big computer will only power up when the surge protector is plugged into the lamp 15 amp circuit.

my regards, teshaw

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007, 04:29:30 PM »
didn't read the whole thread, but from that last post here's a suggestion.

I have never seen or bought a regular commercial surge protector that is rated for 20 amps. look on the packaging, and documentation whatever they are ALL made for 15 amp,  and most in small legal print do not offer protection, OR proper power thru with a 20 amp circuit.

you have to buy a special type of surge protector to truly run off a 20 amp circuit, and to provide 20 amp power through it. otherwise the power is getting "chocked" by the surge protector, and all sorts of odd things can reveal themselves then.

you shouldn't need a 20 amp circuit for a PC anyway, a 15 amp dedicated is PLENTY good.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 04:44:44 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine

you shouldn't need a 20 amp circuit for a PC anyway, a 15 amp dedicated is PLENTY good.

OT

Only until the Geforce 22000000000 ultra gtxyzomg vid card comes out.
Then you'll need a nuke power plant to supply power.
:p :p :p :D :D :cool:

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 10:13:54 PM »
OK, here's the latest.

The big computer with the problem, running off the 15 amp lamp circuit will maintain power up, but after 2 to 5 minutes the monitor says 'no video input.'

It's not the video card, I swapped out a brand new one, and same failure after 2-5 minutes...plus, I couldn't get the cd-rom drive to open after that same failure..

I'm flumoxed.

Why does the big computer work ok in the shop the last five times they've changed a part, and then it somehow fails here at home 10 minutes after I boot up?

Plus, the other computer is chugging along fine on the same circuit.

Here's my latest uneducated guess; no, wait, I cannot even guess.

Some kind of power surge got past the protector and damaged every part; and, as I swap out every part the next damaged element fails in 10 minutes or so?

Boot from hard drive...same problem.

Boot from CD with Win XP disk...same problem.

Swap vid cards same problem.

There's almost nothing left to swap. Fine, they say the same p4 chip now costs only $100, and a new hard disk might cost about the same. There is absolutely nothing else left from the old machine, besides those last 2 components, both less than 2 years old.

Too wierd.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 11:13:45 PM »
Sounds like the chipset or the processor getting hot and computer locks up.  That for the Video problem btw, not your power.  It also can be the powersupply getting funky.  I have a power supply here that did somewhat the samething as yours.  Come to find out the 5VSB circuit on the powersupply was flakey.  U can get a 15.00 powersupply tester from Bestbuy or any computer store.  It just plugs into the plug that supplies the motherboard from the powersupply.  Just plug it in and away it tests it.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77203

This is what i have and works great.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:18:28 PM by AKDogg »
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:07 AM »
Or, on another note, can you uplug something from your PSU to see if you aren't trying to run too much inside of the case? Like a floppy drive or all of the optical drives?