Author Topic: Advice For One New to Peds  (Read 347 times)

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Advice For One New to Peds
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »
Yes, they finally got here after I finally ordered them. After 3 years of flying with twistys I am now pedaled up.

I just took a quick spin around on offline and damn! It's like starting all over again.

Does anyone out there have any advise to help me learn how to use rudder pedals after so long and being so used to a twisty?
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »
Hi Tinman,

I started using a pedal combo after xmas,  Now have a CH setup.

Well with everything else it takes practice and patience.  For the first 2 weeks or so you will be thinking this is a little weird.  Lining up shots is something that took the most re-training of my brain.  After running into the back of some cons with your prop!

Once you start remembering to kick the dam thing when your about to correct a shot you will start loving them.  Much more control and taxing along the runway has never been so easy and fun.

Make sure you set the scaling the same you would for the stick.

Now I love them but keep at it m8 and you will do the same.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:57:28 PM »
if your tracers are off, turn them back on to help see how the rudder throws the nose around while shooting
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Re: Advice For One New to Peds
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Yes, they finally got here after I finally ordered them. After 3 years of flying with twistys I am now pedaled up.

I just took a quick spin around on offline and damn! It's like starting all over again.

Does anyone out there have any advise to help me learn how to use rudder pedals after so long and being so used to a twisty?
I have heard that if you do a bit of flying (best off line or in TA) using only the pedals to turn you will start to get used to them.

Another way may be to take a tank out for a drive and sit up in the top gunner position steering just with the pedals.

In the end an intensive period of being forced to use them may help. Initially I bet you will just get confused if you fly online straight away because it is not second nature!.

Can you lock the twisty action for a while too?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:17:02 PM »
I went from using a twisty to pedals.

The most important thing is learning right. You're going to have to relearn anyways, but make sure you get it right.

Default scaling sucked for me. I couldn't get any fine-tuned aim corrections and it was just like a twisty stick (i.e. no better than one).

So my most important advice is: Play around with the scaling NOW, while your mind and reflexes are fresh and new. If you leave this until later you will only suffer, as you will have to re-learn things then. You're re-learning already, use it to your advantage.

Find the right scaling that allows you the control you want in 3 areas:

1) aiming
2) coordinated turns, "stepping on the ball"
3) full deflection for spins and use as air brakes.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »
Hanger Flying and strafing fld guns !!!!!  my best advice for getting used to peds  ... later on ya get the feel for spiral climbs and Rudder turns .

Stick scaling ... alot of us have our sliders most of the way or all of the way to the top .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »
I've got non-pivoting pedals. I needed to scale mine (old-style CH peds). That might explain why I'm different.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »
anyone out there have any advise to help me learn how to use rudder pedals

I got used to mine this way >

On the drones , get the piper lined up with the elev. first , then just slowly add left rudder till you got it where you want it , then shoot . Just don't try to do "both" moves at once when your first learning , that will come later and feel natural in time IMO .

It doesn't come natural pedals but like they said , after some time it will work as good shooting and even much better flying with them .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
Hammerheads are hella easy now :P

As are vertical stalls without rolling (ropes, loops, etc), because you can add proper rudder to keep yourself straight while doing it.