Author Topic: Filter problem  (Read 326 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Filter problem
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
I read the help file and Denholm's turorial, and read all three threads that came up in the search, but there's nothing on this.  I'm having two problems with the elevation filter.  First, it is not using the altitudes I specify; I set terrain altitude to 0, then set the filter to do a sine wave of 300 on both axis.  However, I get elevations well over 300 when doing that (over 400 in fact).

Also, the transitions don't seem to work right.  I set a transition of 1 vertice on all sides, but what happens is that three side have no transition and the bottom side has a constant "transition" of 256.  It's kind of funny to have a long, straight ridge of 256 as my "transition."

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Filter problem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:03:05 AM »
What we use right now is just the "Set Terr Alt" button to increase the altitude of any tile and the "Set Alt" box to change it. It's definitely easier yet does require some practice to generate "rounded" mountains.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Filter problem
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
The filter is supposed to allow me to instantly generate fairly random hills over a large distance.  The method you describe requires going over each tile vertice by vertice; I've already spent hours on the smaller landmass doing that, but I'm looking for an alternative for the far larger landmass.

Unfortunately, the filter does not appear to be functioning correctly.  According to the manual, you're supposed to be able to specify a minimum and maximum height for the wave.  However, I'm finding that the hills are ignoring my minimum and maximum heights.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Filter problem
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
Okay, most designers here use an add-on program that automatically generates the terrain based on a grayscale image. The whiter the image, the higher the elevation, the darker, the lower. And if it's black, it's water. Not sure what it's called though, contact NHawk for that.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.