Author Topic: 41 years after the battle Helecopter pilot to get MOH  (Read 587 times)

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
41 years after the battle Helecopter pilot to get MOH
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 10:20:19 AM »
IT's sad it takes a movie for people to see if it's beyond the call of duty, etc.
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »
Originally posted by Hawklore
IT's sad it takes a movie for people to see if it's beyond the call of duty, etc.

I dunno, I think that movies are fantastic way to bring that out.  Most people don't take the time to learn about history through reading of books ~ but will definitely take the time to go see a movie.  

I'd say that the movies are not good for use as a teaching tool, but if you can capture just a little bit of history into a well-done movie, there's always a chance that some youngster (who would have never otherwise heard about the event) may do a little more research on the subject.

My sons have all of the lines to We Were Soldiers memorized (after having watched it about a million times).  If they take with them to adulthood just a little bit of well-earned respect for those men portrayed in the movie, and are able to pass that respect for our service members on to their own children, then the movie has served a purpose other than entertainment.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 04:43:50 PM »
Originally posted by Hawco
My buddy Jack is 63/64 or something close, when I saw his pic as a young fit man in Aircrew overalls it was hard to reconcile the fact that it was the same guy. I don't know why, just was strange.

I agree... seen younger pics of my Dad.  BIG change after once in Korean War and Twice in Nam.  Miss him.

Mac

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 06:04:54 AM »
Originally posted by texasmom
I dunno, I think that movies are fantastic way to bring that out.  Most people don't take the time to learn about history through reading of books ~ but will definitely take the time to go see a movie.  

I'd say that the movies are not good for use as a teaching tool, but if you can capture just a little bit of history into a well-done movie, there's always a chance that some youngster (who would have never otherwise heard about the event) may do a little more research on the subject.

My sons have all of the lines to We Were Soldiers memorized (after having watched it about a million times).  If they take with them to adulthood just a little bit of well-earned respect for those men portrayed in the movie, and are able to pass that respect for our service members on to their own children, then the movie has served a purpose other than entertainment.

No, no..

I agree with you...

I still think it's horrible that it requires that for action to be taken.
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »
Originally posted by Hawklore
I still think it's horrible that it requires that for action to be taken.

You're right Hawklore. I do see what you're saying.

One of the things that the volunteers at our local museums have an opportunity to do is gather documentation when queries are sent about soldiers receiving/not receiving recognition.  

Only a little bit of effort is what it takes to gather the documents and provide to the people in a position to do something about it.  

Tmom
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac