Author Topic: Best P-38?  (Read 960 times)

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
Best P-38?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »
any one notices when u skim a rocket off someone's cockpit they seem to get scared or something:rofl
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
re best P38
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »
The best P38 is one thats in pieces, burning and falling to the ground.  :D

Just Kidding.  :D
325th Checkertails

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Best P-38?
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »
Originally posted by detch01
FIW I find the J is the worst aircraft in the game for pilot wounds - someone, somewhere fires a weapon at anything and I wind up with red on the canopy - but all three seem to generate more pilot wounds from hits than anything else I've flown in AH so get used to taking a lot of short naps :D .

Try flying a Mossie :o <--- Pilot wound
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Best P-38?
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
They have equal power because AH II does not model the increased power of the -30 engines in the L, because the USAAF did not officially[/I] accept the increased RPM and boost settings.

Actually, some of the higher ratings were officially approved, but it never made it into the Pilots Manual.

The J block which incorporated dive flaps also did power ailerons.  So it can't have only one of them; if it has boosted ailerons, then it has dive flaps.

Interesting, the "E6B" in the game lists the P-38L and the P-38J as having the same weight.  They also have the same horsepower rating in Aces High II.  Many P-38 fliers here insist that the J turns better than the L, but try as I might I cannot feel a difference.  Dokgonzo's comparisons give none, as well.  Based on the "E6B" data, they should be the same except for roll and dive, and that's how it feels like.

The real P-38L was a tiny bit heavier (I think two hundred pounds), but had more powerful engines (V-1710F-30 instead of the V-1710F-17 of the J).)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:46:56 PM by Benny Moore »