Author Topic: New Vid Card=Horrible fps...Help!  (Read 894 times)

chief-

New Vid Card=Horrible fps...Help!
« on: July 02, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »
Celeron 400.
128MB SDRAM.
ATI Rage IIc AGP card on mother board.
3DFX 16MB Interactive Voodoo 3 2000 video Card PCI conected.
Mother Board:  Florida-C Micro ATX (ATX V1.2 Form Factor).

Heres my problem, until a week ago I was using a Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 8MB card with only 32 MB SDRAM.  
     I upgraded to 128 MB and got the 3DFX Interactive Voodoo 3 2000 Card.  My fps with the old Creative card ran around 26-28 in tower with clip board up.  The new setup is only running 15-17 fps!  
     Ive tried optimizing my system in every way possible, thru these boards and various webpages..Lephturns comes to immediate mind.  Ive got the 7.0a DX drivers, Ive the latest 3Dfx Interactive drivers..Im bangin my head against the wall here...Anyone have any ideas?
     I get about 8 fps thru the smoke and get around 12-13 taking off in a formation with other aircraft around.  Thanks for your help.

Chief out

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2000, 10:17:00 AM »
Are you sure it's using the Voodoo 3 and not the ATI card?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

chief-

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
Well I'm not really sure hehe, I cracked the case and disabled the jumpers, but the startup wizard still detects it on reboot??  Is there something else I should be doing in addition to disabling the jumpers?  Ive just went into my BIOS settings, and everything seemed to jive with a Voodoo 3 webpage for optimizing the card.  One thing Ive noticed when I go into Video setup at startup of AH, the select adapter just says primary display adapter....with the Creative card it always had two choices....seems to me it should say Voodoo 3 2000 card?  Thanks for the quick response btw      

Chief

PS: Let HT know we are all holding him and his family in our prayers.    

[This message has been edited by chief- (edited 07-03-2000).]

chief-

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2000, 10:55:00 AM »
BTW, I have deleted the video cfg file several times to see if it detects the (or changes) the different card by name.

Chief

[This message has been edited by chief- (edited 07-03-2000).]

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2000, 12:44:00 PM »
process of elimination.

can you take out the ATI card? Then check frame rates. That will at least tell you that its using the voodoo only and not defualting to the ATI card.

I have a PIII600 with the Voodoo3 2000 PCI card as well. I get about 30-60 fps at 800x600. And thats with drivers that are one release older than the latest drivers.

chief-

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »
Mason, not sure what your talking about?  The ATI card is on the mother board so removing it physically is not an option.  Ive removed it in properties device manager several times, along with disabling the jumpers for it on the mother board.  No change.

Chief

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
with Direct X setup u can check where and what u have  it show u clear what video card is runing
about Ati on MB it nust have AGP bridge
PC with 2 card when 1 is PCI another AGP it boot on PCI

must be wrong  somethin with your driver