Author Topic: Arena Idea  (Read 464 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Arena Idea
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:29 PM »
Hitech-  I know the idea of weather settings such as wind, night, rain, etc is not feasible in the MA for several reasons.  The three I can think of offhand are-

Some people hate night.  

New players are already at a disadvantage and it would be even more harsh if they had to deal with crosswind takeoffs/landings, and bombing.

The auto-takeoff (and auto-pilot?) can't handle wind.

However, I wonder if it would be possible to have an arena devoted to "realistic weather".  It could be a "more advanced" or "specialized" arena, where people would know going into it that those issues listed above would need to be dealt with.

Maybe it would be popular, maybe not.  Probably not less popular than the EW or MW arenas.  If it was, it could be dropped.

I think it would be fun to have cv battles where wind direction could help or hinder.  Crosswind takeoffs and landings could add another element of stress/excitement, etc.   Super high bombing would be tougher too.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but hope this idea is more acceptable than instilling these settings in the MA...

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:58:43 PM »
LVTs don't function in wind so it's a major problem for your TGs when it comes to capture.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Arena Idea
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »
Messes up GV's?  Then I'm for it.
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »
The Main Arenas are supposed to be only after you practice in a training arena. It would fill this whole page to give you the number of kids who skip the TA. What would stop them from skipping the MA?

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:52:18 PM »
Well, I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.  I suppose we could just adjust all the MA settings in all the arena's to be like the TA.  That would solve the whole issue I guess.  No more griping about killshooter, HO's or anything else.  No more endless questions that could easily be answered by reading the manual.  Maybe we could even bounce back up off the ground if we augered.

Another option might be a Message of the Day stating in one or two sentences that although anyone is welcome to participate, certain things such as previously mentioned might not work correctly.

It was really just an idea to add a facet of the game that many have noticed missing.

I also was not informed that practicing in the TA was a pre-requisite to playing in the MA.  It seems an obvious way to learn in an easier environment, but I didn't realize the MA was "supposed to be only after you practice".  I thought it was really more of an option or choice, and I must admit I was in violation...

Do we really need to tailor everything to the beginning level pilot, or is it ok to have some settings (at least in a limited, segregated manner that would not effect the "main" player base) that offered another level of challange?  

At some point it might even be ok to offer an arena or two that only offered the earlier war aircraft, even if they are more difficult to be successful in than a Spit16, LA-7, or N1K.  Only afetr the required hours of practice in the TA of course...

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
LVTs don't function in wind so it's a major problem for your TGs when it comes to capture.

???  Could you explain ths one???

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 09:21:14 PM »
I personally like the idea of adding wind and other weather effects. Prehaps this could be added to the wish list again as the idea of an "Advanced Arena". Modifying the arena selection clipboard (kind of like BF1942 server selection page) to include a brief explaination of the arean might help get less experienced players into the arena that suits their ability.

One thing about task groups though, a modification would have to be made to allow for the identification of wind speed and direction or you may not be able to take off at all...I'm not a pilot in RL but wind direction may cause problems on ground too...pretty sure take offs are into the wind landings are with the wind.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:59:52 PM »
it's a simple Arena Setting to make Night visible like daytime.  I used to do it for Frame 2 of SnapShot's.  It's still dark, cool stars in the sky etc, but you can SEE as good as daytime.  (ColorLightNight Move all sliders to the right)

I would LOVE to see night time in the MA again.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Arena Idea
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 11:33:33 PM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
???  Could you explain ths one???
Sure, a moving vehicle in AH can't be put into gear and the wind immediately imparts a velocity before you can shift into gear.

Originally posted by Bad31st
... a modification would have to be made to allow for the identification of wind speed and direction...
Right click on the clipboard to set wind in the upper right corner. Only if there's no wind you won't see anything. :lol

Originally posted by WMLute
it's a simple Arena Setting to make Night visible like daytime.  I used to do it for Frame 2 of SnapShot's.  It's still dark, cool stars in the sky etc, but you can SEE as good as daytime.  (ColorLightNight Move all sliders to the right)

I would LOVE to see night time in the MA again.
The problem was that all computers are not created equal.  On some systems night was a totally black screen and on others it was light as day. You had the guys with bright monitor complaining that the other guys were cheating by turning up their gamma and the guys with black screens logging off in disgust with an unplayable game. Night was killed by ignorance on both sides of the argument. I’m with you, I liked night.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001