Author Topic: Wiggling Planes  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
The other thing that factors into this is the smoothing code.  Your system get's periodic updates from the host regarding his position, direction, and presumably acceleration, and then extrapolates from that his position until the next update. At close distances, if he's changing those constantly, you will see his movements as a series of exaggerated jerks, where at longer distances, a few feet of differential  between the extrapolation and the actual is indistinguishable.

So the end result is .... On his screen, he's jinking to avoid your shot.  On your's, he's micro-warping and snap-flittering in impossible movements.

I've always wished for a game that had a built in "update overdrive"  feature, where when you close to within a hundred yards or so of an enemy, both of your FE's are signaled by the host to send position updates at least twice as (if not more) rapidly to minimize this issue.

But so far, no one I know of has built that into a combat flight sim.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 01:37:06 PM »
well lets see...rounds that dont hit till your in the tower or stik stirring to prevent a cherrytard from getting his "victory"  

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 02:03:28 PM »
it is called stik stirring and it's only a slight delay in their demise if you're patient.

Personally a good scissor flat or rolling with a little throttle work is much more likely to get them out of sequence and hopefully over shoot......Now they have to stik stir and pray!

The stik stirring is frustrating and gamey I agree.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
well lets see...rounds that dont hit till your in the tower or stik stirring to prevent a cherrytard from getting his "victory"  

Being 'cherried' is just another name for flying dumb (alone) near two guys that are flying smart (winging). There are no cherries in AH only lemons.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 03:15:46 PM »
Originally posted by Chalenge
There are no cherries in AH only lemons.

So lets go make some lemonaide :t

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »
Being 'cherried' is just another name for flying dumb (alone) near two guys that are flying smart (winging). There are no cherries in AH only lemons.

Challenge, your analogy is lame!  This is a game about fighting.  I have too many times waited for a "cherry picker" to engage and even tried to get them to engage by climbing up to them only to have them fly away and climb.  So you just get tired of trying to get the guy to fight, even when he has the advantage.  Eventually you see another plane who is willing to engage and so you start fighting.  A few minutes into the fight you see the little coward cherry picker come roaring in at 500 mph to try to pick you.  It is not smart flying that the cherry picker is doing, it is lame, cowardly, cherry picking!  It brings the game down because there is absolutely no "fight" to it!  When I am on, i like to be fighting, not chasing after some coward who would fly an entire sector back to his base out of icon range just to wait and see if I engage one of his friendlies!  Timid, lame, and unexcusable!
:aok
Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »
Alot of people fly like that. I was just talking to a squaddie the other night saying Id rather die in a 4 on 1, than rtb 2 kills every mission safe.
I just dont see the fun in it. How many missions do you remember where you rtb with a couple kills and it was pure bnz? They all blend in to me. The ones I remember were the tight fights, clawing your way out of it.

~AoM~

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 03:53:11 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Alot of people fly like that. I was just talking to a squaddie the other night saying Id rather die in a 4 on 1, than rtb 2 kills every mission safe.
I just dont see the fun in it. How many missions do you remember where you rtb with a couple kills and it was pure bnz? They all blend in to me. The ones I remember were the tight fights, clawing your way out of it.

we can trade then, i've had enough of getting into a fight to only end up having three more dive in.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 07:23:42 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
No need to stik stir when you hover above a fight and wait for a plane to engage someone else to cherry them!  The Timid Tumor!:aok

Mark

Golly... sorry you've been kilt so many times by my guns Skybleat... :aok

Fly smarter.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 10:53:03 PM »
You cant call it brave or cowardly SkyRock unless you think its real. Its not real its like a cartoon and you cant really die. So it comes down to choice and no matter how you think and how much you yell on 200 you probably wont change the guys mind. So either fly a plane that can catch the guy you are complaining about or dont. Either way live with your choice without debating his and you will be much happier. You think you have a more enlightened way of going at it so be happy with that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
Originally posted by wstpt10
Well, he isn't warping. Just using those elevators in a manner that would make any normal human being puke all over the instrument panel.

Now there's an idea...Too many negative G jinks and you get barf all over the inside of canopy restricting veiws somewhat.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 11:14:03 AM »
LOL that'd be nasty :D

Blood, barf 'n Oil!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor
Golly... sorry you've been kilt so many times by my guns Skybleat... :aok

Fly smarter.
The timid tumor!~  LMAO!  You are such a weak game player! :rofl

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 11:39:18 AM »
You cant call it brave or cowardly SkyRock unless you think its real. Its not real its like a cartoon and you cant really die. So it comes down to choice and no matter how you think and how much you yell on 200 you probably wont change the guys mind. So either fly a plane that can catch the guy you are complaining about or dont. Either way live with your choice without debating his and you will be much happier. You think you have a more enlightened way of going at it so be happy with that.

It is exactly how I described.  Tumor who responded in this thread is a prime example.  If I am on and he is in the general vicinity of where I am fighting, I can never get him to fight.  If I try to climb up to fight him, even when he has the advantage, he will run.  Yet he always comes blasting through when you start dancing with another con.  It is feeble gameplay and the type of play that only cowards would enjoy!  I can understand taking up a bird and flying it safe from time to time, but to log on everytime you play and do nothing but hover around waiting for someone to be afk or already in a stalled out fight??????  Weak, skilless, and cowardly!  It doesn't stop me from having my fun, it is just my perception on the issue.  Weak cowardly gametards who get satisfaction out of coming into a fight and suckerpunching someone!  Skilless and woefully punkish in  the larger scope of why one would play a "fight" oriented game! :aok

Mark

Offline wstpt10

• Zinc Member
Wiggling Planes
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
Now there's an idea...Too many negative G jinks and you get barf all over the inside of canopy restricting veiws somewhat.

Great, I've got some support.

Just think of the poor stirring saps stuck with vomit, blood, and oil all over their canopy. :t