Author Topic: Aces High II WORKS WITH LINUX!  (Read 3334 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Aces High II WORKS WITH LINUX!
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 07:12:25 PM »
I've been very impressed with Linux in the brief time I've fooled with it. Anybody who thinks XP/Vista is "better" simply doesn't know Linux. That doesn't mean that a Linux box is better,,,the difference is in the available commercial software. Linux requires a higher level of understanding since you have much less automated function. To really use linux you need some familiarity with the command line. But once you cross that bridge you find a much higher level of flexibility (and the ability to hose your system even quicker). Originally windows was simply "dumb mans DOS". It literally was a graphical inter phase. In less then 48 hours I find myself booting to the Linux OS 1st. This thread goes to the core issue. Developers make money by providing tools that either help or entertain. The vast majority are written for XP/Vista since thats were the mainstream market is. The truth is really pretty simple, Microsoft has to lose market...Linux cant gain it. The fact that Vista is a resounding flop will open the door just a bit. As MS pricing continues to go up Linux will be more and more viable. It took me less then 48 hours to completely replace my "core functionality" with Linux. Since I grew up on Dos I actually like access to the command line:).....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »
I loaded wine (9.39) up on Ubuntu (7.04)...

Tried to install it from the desktop using the command line and got...

c:\\windows\\system32\\ah2102.exe": Module not found

I didn't think it could be that simple:) {but you have to at least try}. Thought I'd ask here before wading thru all the FAQ's/Doc's/Use groups. From the little bit on Ubuntu they said download the app to desktop and run the command line to install. Obviously 9.39 (they recommend an older install) is different, I dont read/comprehend well....or both;)

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2007, 04:23:31 AM »
You need Cedega 6.0. Commertial product based on wine. It costs about 15$.

Also I think I'd better to have nVidia graphics card and not ATI.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2007, 04:36:45 AM »
how does it handle joystick throttle and the like ?

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2007, 05:28:48 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
how does it handle joystick throttle and the like ?

If your joystick is recognized and works you shouldn't have problems. I have one that worked out-of-the-box (Thrustmaster Afterburner II), however I don't know if jotstick HW interfaces are standard and how many of them are supported.

The only little trick you should do sometimes - if the hat behaves like an axis instead of "buttons or hat" you may need to use qjoypad - and remap the actions to bottons.

I fly
- AH2 - using Cedega 6.0
- IL-2 - using ordinary wine
- TW - native linux binary

without problems...
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »
Originally posted by artik
You need Cedega 6.0. Commertial product based on wine. It costs about 15$.

Also I think I'd better to have nVidia graphics card and not ATI.

My graphics card is a 7900GT so I'm fine there. My understanding is that AH runs on wine (not as well as Cedega)...planning on adding Cedega anyway but wanted to familiarize myself with wine 1st. From my limited understanding Cedega is better for games in some aspects but overall lags well behind wine for general use.