Author Topic: Zone Alarm and AH  (Read 421 times)

LJK Raubvogel

Zone Alarm and AH
« on: October 02, 2000, 01:31:00 AM »
Anyone have any tips for running AH through the Zone Alarm firewall? I give the AH program permission to connect, but my PC locks up everytime I run it. If I turn the firewall off, it connects fine. Don't really like to be connected for hours with no firewall up. Thanks in advance.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Elk

• Zinc Member
Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2000, 03:06:00 AM »
Check that the inet connection is really allowed for aceshigh.exe and the the allow server is checked. If it still wont work, set the security level to medium. HTH

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
Hi LJK Raubvogel,
 Basically what ELK said, ZA is waiting for you to answer the "Allow AH to access the internet" box but it can't display it because AH is on screen. (Click on the programs button in ZA and then check the "Allow connect" & "Allow server" before starting AH).

One other thing, I have to load AH without ZA each time there is an AH update. Once you are online alt-tab to desktop and start ZA, then re check the boxes, (ZA will detect that it is a new version and require you to re authorise AH for access to the internet).

Hope this helps....

TTFN
snafu

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2000, 08:19:00 PM »
Guys, check the FAQ. An item has been added last week or the one before on firewalls.

When AH seems to "freeze" (it does not), type "RY" then off you go. (R to check the "Remember this answer" box and "Y" to answer the ZoneAlarm popup window that is masked.)

You have to do this everytime there's a new release of AH.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 10-02-2000).]

LJK Raubvogel

Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2000, 01:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys, will give it a try.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2000, 03:35:00 AM »
Hate to say this guys but I have same problem. I have been using ZoneAlarm for a while now and usually deleting old copy of AH in ZoneAlarm window and then re-registering new version gets it all going again. However patch 4 will not work. It has registered new version and all connect boxes are checked (server allowed etc.) but every time I try to run AH it locks PC solid. Tried removing ZoneAlarm and re-installing but with no joy. Deleted AH and RW numerous times from Program window in ZA.
I have shutdown ZA and started AH and all connects fine. Then started AH and altough PC doesn't lock AH reports lost connection to host.
Any ideas anyone ????
Sparks

LJK Raubvogel

Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2000, 01:47:00 PM »
I shut down Zone Alarm, then started AH. After I alt-tabbed out and restarted ZA, I had no problems.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
If you have not bought it yet the Pro version is definitely worth having.
I can play AH with ZA pro security on High and the lock on. Just tell it to either allow AH to pass the lock with all protocols and ports, otherwise restricting ports to TCP and UDP 2000 to 4000 seems to work ok maybe that range can be reduced but hell that takes valuable playing time and experimenting unless somebody knows the exact ports needed ?

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Zone Alarm and AH
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2000, 04:11:00 AM »
Just got my ZoneAlarm working again after help from Zonelabs (very good support btw - answer to my e-mail within 24 hours) below is the reply I had which worked for me

ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly.  You can verify that the TrueVector driver is running by opening ZoneAlarm's Configure Panel and checking its status.

If the panel is displaying TrueVector driver as loaded and ZoneAlarm is still not functioning properly, it is possible that some files have become corrupt.  To repair this problem, please follow these steps.  Please note that this will remove your program permission settings, but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1. Shutdown ZoneAlarm.
2. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 95/98 this will be "c:\windows\internet logs", in NT and 2000 it will be c:\\winnt\internet logs), where you will find a file called "iamdb.rdb" and a file named after your computer with the ".ldb" extension.
3. Delete both of these files.
4. Reboot your system.

ZoneAlarm will boot up again with a fresh database.

Best regards,
Zone Labs Support

seems my program database was corrupt.

214th - just downloaded and installed Pro version and like it a lot - very customizable.