Author Topic: Singing "The got no frame rate blues"  (Read 721 times)

Offline Saltty

• Zinc Member
Singing "The got no frame rate blues"
« on: October 21, 2001, 02:02:00 AM »
Ever since 1.08 was updated I have frame rate in the 3 to 7 range.
system is:
Compaq Amd 500
creative tnt2 64 pro
Saitek x36 combo usb
192 megs ram
dx8

I've tried turning off everthing in start-up off that wasn't needed. McAfee,icq,yahoo,the printer, gawd didn't know there was so much junk running in the back ground.
Updated my video card driver,tried setting my vitual memory but got chicken and didn't set it,as it made it sound like computer armageddon would happen.
I know this is an old machine but I've always had frame rates in the low 20's

HELP!!!!   :eek:    :eek:

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: Saltty ]

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2001, 02:13:00 AM »
Quite frankly your system has two major downpoints..

First of all, you own an AMD K-6 500 CPU which is notoriously poor performer. Invest to a Duron/motherboard combo - those are extremely cheap nowadays.

Secondly you have an _ancient_ display card, TNT just won't cut it anymore sorry. Invest to geforce2 MX or higher. Again cost should be relatively low.

There is no miracle tweak method which would make your system run the game 20+ fps again. Your computer must be 2-3 years old already and in game use computer life is closer to one..

Offline Saltty

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2001, 02:49:00 AM »
Gee let me get out my trusty hammer and beat the @#$%$#@ out of this thing....

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
My video card is a TNT2 Value, with 16MB memory, and I get playable frame rates in most situations. (around 20 fps)

I don't think changing the video card would be really abolutely necessary (unless you have the budget if you upgrade your system anyway), but I didn't realize last night, Saltty, that what you have is a K6-2...

I bought a K6-2/300 a couple of years ago, and I didn't "suffer" it for more than 6 months.  ;) It just doesn't perform. I replaced my motherboard and processor for a Celeron 466, overclocked now at 525. (I figure I'm still good for a year or so.)

Offline Saltty

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2001, 09:18:00 PM »
I guess the thing I don't understand is until 1.08 I had fair frame rate....did the new modeling in 1.08 take that much extra cpu power?

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Uh, didn't AH pass from DirectX 6 or 7 to DirectX 8 with 1.08?

Also, there is no way now to really shut off the ground clutter. Not entirely. I've noticed lower frame rates near the ground. Much worse than before.