Author Topic: Can you fly without a joystick?  (Read 886 times)

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Can you fly without a joystick?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »
Whether flying with a fighter stick or a mouse, the primary function of either is to move input game information along the x axis (roll/ailerons) and y axis (pitch/elevators). Simple as that. However, each way to fly is a little bit different. For example, set up your mouse for these two axises mentioned and sit on the runway with the engine off. Take a look at your control surfaces (ailerons/elevators) as you move the mouse. You can see how hard it is to move one without moving the other. Especially, if you have to do it quickly. This maybe why a mouse seems smoother to some people, myself included, because more control surfaces means more stability to the flight path of the plane. But, I imagine it also means more resistance, which means a slower, and maybe sometimes a less responsive plane. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on the circumstances. In a contrary way, a fighter stick allows the pilot to use his control surfaces in a very specific way, be they independent or in conjunction with each other.

I have about six months on a mouse and about six months on a fighter stick. Other than being able to map functions to the hats on a fighter stick, all in all, the difference between the two is a drop in the bucket considering all the things I had to learn as a newbie.

On a side note, you mouse haters!, :mad: this struggle HighTech puts newbies threw by not having the game ready, set, go, can't be a good thing for business. We see it all the time on these forums. For instance: I myself,  found this game in April of last year using Google because I was board and looking for something fun to do. The game was set up to be able to fly with a mouse as default back then. I was just about to delete the download thinking, "oh no", what is this crap I put on my HD, :lol  then, by magic I am flying in 5 minutes. I was totally thrilled. It's because the mouse was already mapped out for me that I am playing this game today a year later. I did decide to buy a full Ch set up as my life revolves in all ways around this blasted game now. :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:35:59 PM by Clutz »

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
Z axis. YAW dood. Rudder, is now in all my acm, and being able to snap shot someone with the flick of a wrist is sometimes life and death.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Flame 2 the boy

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 01:14:34 PM »
Trust me...i learned to fly on a laptop and the mouse option wouldnt work. I had to fly with rudder and elevator only with the keyboard.:( I couldnt land, or dogfight. Bombing and PT's were my only friends. ;)

But as soon as i bought a joystick, it made the game a lot funner and more exciting.

Trust me a joystick is the way to go!!!

Flameboy

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 01:19:49 PM »
One day I'm getting me one of this "joysticks"  you people are talking:D