Author Topic: Video Card Help  (Read 294 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
Video Card Help
« on: October 24, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Hello,

I was curious if anyone could help with suggestions on a video card. I am currently running the following system

P3 700r
gforce 256 agp 32mg video
256 mg ram (pc 100 I think)
sb live value soundcard
13gig harddrive

Before 1.08 I was turning 40-70 fps, since 1.08 and more specifically the last (4th) patch I'm down to 35 fps max. with the norm being in the 20's unless im around an airfield or the ground then it's in the teens and gettin choppy.

I get my best fps in 800 x 600 mode.  I also have the color at 32 bit.  The desktop is also on the same color depth and resolution settings.  I'm wondering if I can increase performance with a new video card or if I will have to wait until I upgrade the motherboard on the computer...i.e. will a 700r p3 with 256 ram support a new video card enough for a meaninful increase in fps (10 or more would be o.k.).  Also suggestions for brand and model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice in this matter.

Zaphod

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Video Card Help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 04:29:00 PM »
Dont think youll see much increase in FPS with a new card. Im running pretty much the same system as you.

PIII 750
Gforce2 MX400 64meg
512k ram

I took some FPS hits as well with 1.08. But i can still fly without to many problems.

Was running AH on a test system p166 and a 4meg virge video card in beta gettin 1 to 3 FSP, still had no problem killin.

I am using this system for wwiionline as well and i have very few problems there, and that program is a system resource hog. I dont think i will upgrade for another year.

So, if you think your up for an update and have the money to do so, CPU & Video card will be needed. If you can still fly and get kills, leave it for now. Prices are dropping fast on parts so i would hold off on upgrades.

Dog out.......